Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 63)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2013, 01:50 AM

PS+ should get anyone who is interested in a Vita a pretty good Instant Game Collection.

Dakar, I notice you're looking for some classic RPGs. I'm still neck-deep in Persona 4: Golden, and it's definitely worth the hype if JRPGs are still something that piques your interest. I also have Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI installed, as they're two titles that I never played in the old days.

P
Sep 12, 2013, 04:40 AM

Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG of its era.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2013, 12:24 PM

Who needs a new headset?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
PS+ should get anyone who is interested in a Vita a pretty good Instant Game Collection.

Dakar, I notice you're looking for some classic RPGs. I'm still neck-deep in Persona 4: Golden, and it's definitely worth the hype if JRPGs are still something that piques your interest. I also have Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI installed, as they're two titles that I never played in the old days.
To give you an idea of my taste, Final Fantasy Legend II is probably my favorite of all time. I enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics as well. Not sure if there were any on PS2 I played.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2013, 01:45 AM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2013, 02:08 AM

A good original RPG for the Vita is Gravity Rush. Highly recommend that one, and also Soul Sacrifice is a good action RPG.

PS Killzone Mercenary is badass.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
To give you an idea of my taste, Final Fantasy Legend II is probably my favorite of all time. I enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics as well. Not sure if there were any on PS2 I played.
I didn't even know about Legend I, much less Legend II. I can understand why you liked Final Fantasy Tactics then. You'd probably love the newest Fire Emblem.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
A good original RPG for the Vita is Gravity Rush. Highly recommend that one, and also Soul Sacrifice is a good action RPG.

PS Killzone Mercenary is badass.
I haven't played Gravity Rush yet, but I got it free with PS+, so I'll be checking it out eventually.

I want to delve into Killzone Mercenary. I'm still working my way through a huge queue. Is the multiplayer any good?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2013, 02:34 PM

Somewhere, bungie employees want to kill themselves.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2013, 02:47 PM

Looks like EA managed to **** this up.

Ghost takes control of the Need For Speed brand - Need For Speed Rivals for PS4 News

It's hard to give them too much shit for changing their mind as EA is definitely transitioning as they move to new leadership.

Criterion was wasted being pigeonholed on NFS anyway.
Criterion reduced to 16 people as studio splinters into Ghost Games UK - Need For Speed Rivals for PS4 News

Criterion has been reduced to a team of just 16 people, creative director Alex Ward has revealed, with the 60-65 Criterion staff currently working on Need For Speed: Rivals now working under the umbrella of Ghost Games.

In a series of tweets, Ward explained that Criterion is "a small team now", with the majority of the studio forming part of a team called Ghost Games UK.

The team remaining at Criterion is thought to now be known as 'Criterion Zero'.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2013, 08:07 PM

It says Criterion is working on a secret project. I wonder what it is.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2013, 08:09 PM

So apparently amazon ditched their $1 release day shipping last summer. SO between that and the addition of sales tax I guess I'll pick up GTA V from walmart release day.
Or order it from the Microsoft Store website like I did. You get a $20 Xbox Live card and all pre-orders arrive at your house on release day at no extra charge.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2013, 09:05 AM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I haven't played Gravity Rush yet, but I got it free with PS+, so I'll be checking it out eventually.

I want to delve into Killzone Mercenary. I'm still working my way through a huge queue. Is the multiplayer any good?
Multiplayer is great. The Warzone mode is a really good one. Basically teamplay where each team switches random 5 missions ranging from strategic to tactical. It tallies the team scores together to determine a winner. Really good team play mode. You have Death math and your normal free for all. All your single player items can be earned and brought into multiplayer so you can play the campaign if you like and gear up before going online if you want, so just be fresh meat.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2013, 11:03 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2013, 11:59 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2013, 12:02 PM

The collection of scores or the scores themselves? GTA is one of those games that is the average was anywhere below 9s it'd be mindblowing They just don't get bad scores (In retrospect IV certainly didn't deserve more than let's say an 8.5).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2013, 05:04 AM

The collection of scores or the scores themselves? GTA is one of those games that is the average was anywhere below 9s it'd be mindblowing They just don't get bad scores (In retrospect IV certainly didn't deserve more than let's say an 8.5).
The scores. Although one has to wonder if the same people that played previous GTA releases also reviewed GTA 5.

As a true noob to the series, I should be paid for reviewing GTA 5.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2013, 06:29 AM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 12:57 PM

HIROSHI COIN 10,000,000,000 WORLD 1-1 TIME 85 GAME OVER

...he'd overseen the creation of all Nintendo's game consoles up to the GameCube and become one of Japan's richest men -- in other words, not a bad innings for a man who passed away today at the ripe old age of 85.

Sony demos its PlayStation app for Android and iOS at Tokyo Game Show keynote | Ars Technica

Let's hope it will be on par with xbox smartglass.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 01:09 PM

Finally, an end to this crazy story.

Charles Carreon finally quits fighting, calls Oatmeal battle "a dumb thing" | Ars Technica

In a Tuesday legal filing with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Charles Carreon dropped his final appeal in the Recouvreur case and now definitively owes over $46,000 in fees to Recouvreur.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2013, 04:42 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2013, 02:11 PM

Not shocking but still...
Sony expects to recoup PlayStation 4 hardware loss at launch • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net

PlayStation 4 hardware will make a loss at launch, but Sony expects to immediately recoup the costs when a typical user also buys a PlayStation Plus subscription and at least one launch game.
Doing God's work, Sony

P
Sep 20, 2013, 02:49 PM

Recouping it on one game and a subscription is way better than the way it was last gen, though. I think the Wii U was breakeven on one game, but the 360 was on three and the PS3 I don't know how many. The original Xbox was even more, IIRC.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2013, 03:06 PM

Size comparison between the 3 different 360 cases and the One Xbox One hands-on video: 360 vs The One - Pocket-lint

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 01:14 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 02:57 PM

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
I can barely watch YouTube stuff downstairs near the TV, the wi-fi is so weak.

So you need a PC or a Mac with games as well as the SteamBox(?). PS4 is still looking good.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 02:59 PM

I still don't know what to think of this.

Right now, Steam is a just a means of playing Football Manager.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I can barely watch YouTube stuff downstairs near the TV, the wi-fi is so weak.

So you need a PC or a Mac with games as well as the SteamBox(?). PS4 is still looking good.
Me, ever since this thread became a PS4 love-fest:

P
Sep 24, 2013, 05:02 AM

I've been looking at this SteamOS, and they've been shading the truth a bit, but basically: It will run "hundreds" of games natively, multiple AAA games is coming for it in 2014, and you can stream anything else from a PC or Mac. There is no built-in Wine or anything to make it run Windows games - each developer will have to do that themselves, like they do with Mac versions anyway.

There are two more announcements coming though. One is likely the Piston, the Steam hardware. AMDs "Steamroller" cores with GCN graphics - "Kaveri" is the first one - launch Q4 or possibly beginning of 2014. Either one of them or the embedded versions of the same seem enough to run a Piston with good performance at 720p or decent at 1080p.

The third announcement: Halflife 3 SteamOS timed exclusive?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I've been looking at this SteamOS, and they've been shading the truth a bit, but basically: It will run "hundreds" of games natively, multiple AAA games is coming for it in 2014, and you can stream anything else from a PC or Mac. There is no built-in Wine or anything to make it run Windows games - each developer will have to do that themselves, like they do with Mac versions anyway.

There are two more announcements coming though. One is likely the Piston, the Steam hardware. AMDs "Steamroller" cores with GCN graphics - "Kaveri" is the first one - launch Q4 or possibly beginning of 2014. Either one of them or the embedded versions of the same seem enough to run a Piston with good performance at 720p or decent at 1080p.

The third announcement: Halflife 3 SteamOS timed exclusive?
I'm really interested in seeing how affordable the hardware will be.

As for Half-Life, does it have that level of influence anymore? I've never been in touch with the PC gaming community, so I'm really not sure.

P
Sep 25, 2013, 11:16 AM

There is a definite risk that it will be like Starcraft 2: A good game, but not the massive presence that the predecessor was. OTOH, Valve can still make good games - witness Portal 2 - and if they make a good enough game, it will be a big reason to at least check out the SteamOS. Speaking for myself, I can make another partition and install the OS to it for a single game. I've done worse to get a game working.

P
Sep 27, 2013, 09:27 AM

No talk about Mantle? Or did that just completely pass everyone by?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 09:36 AM

I didn't really check news yesterday, but the name draws a blank.

P
Sep 27, 2013, 10:19 AM

AMD had a big "2014 GPU showcase" presentation on Wednesday - clearly inspired by Apple's events. The last big news was a new low level graphics API for AMD GPUs. The point is that AMD makes the low level graphics API for the Xbone, and likely for the PS4 as well, and now they've made one for Windows called Mantle. It is strongly implied that these three low-level APIs are very similar. AMD has been working with DICE on this new API, and Frostbite 3 - the engine for Battlefield 4 - will use Mantle on Windows if there is an AMD graphics in the PC. BF4 launch is soon, so this is not pie-in-the-sky.

AMD also made a point about how Mantle was cross-platform, even though it only supports Windows at launch. Just about everyone who heard this thought "SteamOS".

It will be extremely interesting to see how this plays out. The Xbone high-level API is of course DirectX, but it is DirectX 11.2. MS has not released DirectX 11.1 or 11.2 for Windows 7 - 11.2 is a Windows 8.1 exclusive, and gamers as a whole a shying away from Windows 8 like the plague. Developers can ignore XP (and Vista) users, but they can't ignore Windows 7 when making a PC version. They can't go beyond DirectX 11.0, which likely limits them to some extent on the Xbone. Instead of making an Xbone game and porting it to PC, developers will have to make a common version. With the Xbone already being the weaker console, this will basically kill the idea of using DirectX for a multi-platform game that should have equivalent performance. The only way to fix that is to use the low-level API - and if you do, you "might as well" release a Mantle version on Windows. And if Mantle is available on SteamOS, why not make another port. You can see how this will appeal to EA, who loves their multiplatform releases.

MS probably had a collective aneurysm when they hard this. nVidia is crying in the corner. Sony I'm not sure about, they might be A-OK with getting good ports even if SteamOS becomes another competitor. John Carmack (iD software, now Oculus Rift and ZeniMax) sounds like he learned about it when the rest of us did, so it has been a fairly closely kept secret.

Oh, and the rest of the event was teasing a new "R9-290" series chip which seems to be a Titan competitor codenamed Hawaii, a new audio processing system using compute on the GPU, and a bunch of rebadging of existing chips. 7900 became R9-280, 7800 became R9-270, 7790 became the R7-260 and one of the OEM 8600 chips became R7-250.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
AMD had a big "2014 GPU showcase" presentation on Wednesday - clearly inspired by Apple's events. The last big news was a new low level graphics API for AMD GPUs. The point is that AMD makes the low level graphics API for the Xbone, and likely for the PS4 as well, and now they've made one for Windows called Mantle. It is strongly implied that these three low-level APIs are very similar. AMD has been working with DICE on this new API, and Frostbite 3 - the engine for Battlefield 4 - will use Mantle on Windows if there is an AMD graphics in the PC. BF4 launch is soon, so this is not pie-in-the-sky.

AMD also made a point about how Mantle was cross-platform, even though it only supports Windows at launch. Just about everyone who heard this thought "SteamOS".

It will be extremely interesting to see how this plays out. The Xbone high-level API is of course DirectX, but it is DirectX 11.2. MS has not released DirectX 11.1 or 11.2 for Windows 7 - 11.2 is a Windows 8.1 exclusive, and gamers as a whole a shying away from Windows 8 like the plague. Developers can ignore XP (and Vista) users, but they can't ignore Windows 7 when making a PC version. They can't go beyond DirectX 11.0, which likely limits them to some extent on the Xbone. Instead of making an Xbone game and porting it to PC, developers will have to make a common version. With the Xbone already being the weaker console, this will basically kill the idea of using DirectX for a multi-platform game that should have equivalent performance. The only way to fix that is to use the low-level API - and if you do, you "might as well" release a Mantle version on Windows. And if Mantle is available on SteamOS, why not make another port. You can see how this will appeal to EA, who loves their multiplatform releases.

MS probably had a collective aneurysm when they hard this. nVidia is crying in the corner. Sony I'm not sure about, they might be A-OK with getting good ports even if SteamOS becomes another competitor. John Carmack (iD software, now Oculus Rift and ZeniMax) sounds like he learned about it when the rest of us did, so it has been a fairly closely kept secret.

Oh, and the rest of the event was teasing a new "R9-290" series chip which seems to be a Titan competitor codenamed Hawaii, a new audio processing system using compute on the GPU, and a bunch of rebadging of existing chips. 7900 became R9-280, 7800 became R9-270, 7790 became the R7-260 and one of the OEM 8600 chips became R7-250.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 01:47 PM

Steam Controller

They certainly aren't playing conservative on that front.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2013, 02:00 PM

..............................why?

How did anyone think this is a good idea?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2013, 02:04 PM

I'm already going to back off of my last post a bit.

From their FAQ:

I’m a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I don’t want a controller?

You can’t make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But we’re happy you’re happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we won’t abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 02:05 PM

I like the idea. What's the point of releasing a controller if its going to just be another xbox clone. Try something new. The internet will let them know if its worth pursuing.

Someone on NeoGAF commented "It looks like a game controller for people who don't like game controller." Considering the target that makes sense.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2013, 02:40 AM

I'm pretty confident that the Steam controller can be awesome. I play games on my laptop using the trackpad. I gave up on the mouse years ago because of how much better using the trackpad is.

The promise of haptic feedback is interesting to me.

I doubt the touchscreen will be of much use. And it will be on non-stop despite the user not looking at it 99% of the time, making it a battery drain. And the early beta won't have it, but will instead have 4 square buttons instead.

A post from the developer of Super Meat Boy on the Steam Controller: http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/...eam-controller
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Sep 28, 2013 at 03:28 AM. )

P
Sep 28, 2013, 04:58 AM

Mantle is a new API that competes with DirectX and OpenGL but only works on AMD cards. Created by AMD and DICE.

It is higher performance than other APIs, and supposedly makes it easy to port from the Xbone low level API.

It will first be used in Battlefield 4, so it is fairly close in time.

P
Sep 30, 2013, 08:11 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2013, 10:15 AM

The four, awkwardly-placed XYBA buttons are throwing me off far more than the trackpads.

[EDIT] I see in P's link that they're more for alternate-use.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

Quote from the final paragraph:

I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat.
Note that in no way does he ever say that this is an improvement. If it's not going to improve the gaming experience, then it's just a unnecessary gimmick.

P
Sep 30, 2013, 10:48 AM

Heads-up: Anyone who wants a Mega Man spiritual sequel for their favorite console has about a day left to back this Kickstarter.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 12:15 PM

FWIW
Survey on next-gen console purchases may spell trouble for Xbox One | Ars Technica
Just 15 percent of survey respondents said they were going to snap up an Xbox One, compared to the 26 percent who said they were planning to buy a PS4. And when it comes to the younger crowd, the news gets worse for Microsoft. Only 27 percent of survey respondents under the age of 40 anticipate getting an Xbox One, compared to the 41 percent planning to buy a PS4. Both consoles have seen strong preorder interest in the US since their unveiling

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 04:47 PM

The Red Cross want the laws of war incorporated in video games - PCGMedia
The Red Cross argues that modern video games should include the rules of war due to their increasing likeness to reality.
The rules of war, or more commonly called the laws of war, is a legal term that refers to public international law highlighting the ethical issues surrounding armed conflict.
*facepalm*

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2013, 09:46 AM

Do these people even play video games? How are video games anything like reality, when I have super powers in a video game? Most video games are no where near reality.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2013, 10:47 AM

Mate of mine went to Eurogamer in London and said that the queues to get into the PS4 areas were hour +, whereas the Xbox ONE queues weren't.

He rated : BF4, Watchdogs and something else that I can't remember. Like me he had gotten all the CoDs but doubts that he'd get Ghosts. He's switching from Xbox to PS4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules