Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iran set to execute former U.S. Marine; U.S. vows retaliation.

Iran set to execute former U.S. Marine; U.S. vows retaliation. (Page 3)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2012, 10:20 PM

The good news for any of the Americans of this forum who didn't know what causes this hatred is they've been "taught" by you that those outside the US hate Americans because they either don't care about facts or have forgotten them. Good show eh?
Oh I defend the US a lot more then you think to my friends from Europe and other places. My good friend from Holland has finally agreed to take a trip to Seattle with me on his third visit here. His previous 2 visits he wouldn't step foot in the US because of many false beliefs about Americans. This summer hes going to let me take him to Seattle, and the Scablands of Washington, his first visit to the US only because I spend a lot of time debunking a lot of false crap about the US.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 11:03 PM

I thought most of the world would love us again for electing Barack Hussein Obama. What gives?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2012, 11:24 PM

Meh, I think the image has improved over the last couple years. People are bitching a lot less about the US. Hell Ive even talked my dutch friend to step foot on US soil this summer. That was impossible back in the Bush days. While the hate is toned down and I think it has, the reasons for the hate, true or false or a mix are still the reasons. Not jealously over wealth or "Freedom" as many Americans think it is.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
But like typical American views, all credit must go to Americans. And aid organizations do more harm then good because all they do is prime a country for economic take over of American corporations. Glenn you didn't help your cause here.
Do you have any clue at all how many Canadian corporations there are abroad? Are you friggin' kidding me with this?

All credit for the good sh!t must be spread equally among all those who contribute of course, but all credit for the bad sh!t is due solely to Americans. Makes perfect sense Athens and as always, I appreciate the illustration.

I'm sorry bro, you're like the insecure girl at the bar who sees another good looking woman walk in and thinks to herself; mmm...bitch. Your hatred is irrational.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I thought most of the world would love us again for electing Barack Hussein Obama. What gives?
If the US were to help another, the US is intervening for eventual take-over. If the US does not help another, they're heartless, selfish bastards. They'll forget all the others who contributed (for eventual take-over) and don't care about those who declined assistance to others (because they're selfish). Marsha-Marsha-MARSHA!

Trying to garner the affection of people like this is a fool's errand. It's not arrogant to ignore morons, it's efficient.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
If the US were to help another, the US is intervening for eventual take-over. If the US does not help another, they're heartless, selfish bastards.
Maybe they could try helping without taking over?

It might go that way in Afghanistan given their lack of oil but I guess that one has been written off as a revenge mission a long time ago.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2012, 11:05 AM

I'm sorry bro, you're like the insecure girl at the bar who sees another good looking woman walk in and thinks to herself; mmm...bitch. Your hatred is irrational.
FTW.

-t

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 06:43 PM

Do you have any clue at all how many Canadian corporations there are abroad? Are you friggin' kidding me with this?
Yup and it matters why when it comes to why the world hates America? Why would a Canadian company matter? And do you see the Canadian Military and Canadian Spy Agency and Canadian Charities interfering with countries to prime them for economic take over? When was the last time a Canadian organization of any kind demanded a country sell off all its resources to the private sector in order to get aid. As its been pointed out Canada does not matter. Why do you keep bringing Canada up. You would strengthen your arguments using the UK which still plays a much smaller role to what the US does now.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 06:54 PM

If the US were to help another, the US is intervening for eventual take-over. If the US does not help another, they're heartless, selfish bastards. They'll forget all the others who contributed (for eventual take-over) and don't care about those who declined assistance to others (because they're selfish). Marsha-Marsha-MARSHA!

Trying to garner the affection of people like this is a fool's errand. It's not arrogant to ignore morons, it's efficient.
Why not try what other countries do, unconditional assistance with no strings attached. Oh but there is no profit in that kind of assistance. Goes against the American Religion of the profit run society.

If you ever watched Star Trek you would know what I mean when I say Americans are Ferengi, every action of help and assistance is rooted into business opportunity and profit. If the return isn't going to be good for the American economy it will look the other way. Securing rebuilding contracts, resource contracts and such is what drives American assistance. A natural disaster for the Americans is just a big wind fall of opportunity.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2012, 08:24 PM

A lot changed since the 70's, even so that Canadian was clearly an idiot. Serious embarrassing and as a Canadian I apologies for such a horrific display of dishonesty. Fact is the wars fought where for American interests not because of "Good" The response to disaster zones, most countries respond and many quicker then the US. But like typical American views, all credit must go to Americans. And aid organizations do more harm then good because all they do is prime a country for economic take over of American corporations. Glenn you didn't help your cause here.
Funny, I thought Gordon Sinclair was a well thought of Canadian journalist. And either I have somehow lost the ability to get a point across, or my point was taken from a very odd angle. Sinclair's piece, about the American Red Cross running out of money in 1973 because of its work helping others suffering from disasters, focused on how the rest of the world couldn't give a flying flip about the States unless they wanted something from us. He stated quite well that, when the US helps, it is "expected," but when we face a crisis (read up on what a "fun" year 1973 was for us), the international community sits back and watches without lifting a proverbial finger - to include even sending warm thoughts. How in the name of logic could my bringing up a near legendary Canadian's defense of American generosity from a decidedly non-US point of view be interpreted as "all credit must go to America?"

Athens, do you seriously think of every US based entity as corrupt and out to debase the rest of the world? The American Red Cross? Apple? Seriously?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 08:30 PM

I believe the American Red Cross is still independent from the government so I wouldn't include them in that.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2012, 08:54 PM

Almost all charitable actions outside the US are by non-governmental agencies. Our government is pretty good about waiting to be asked by the local government before diving in (counter examples include Grenada and Panama, but we were right in both instances - and I was IN Panama just before the invasion; I categorically support it). We have certainly made mistakes, supported bad people who did bad things, and exported a form of rather ignorant cultural relativism (just like every other Western nation did), but to suggest that our government is inherently imperialistic and corrupt (the structure, not the current rascals in office) is to lack academic investigation and logical rigor.

Americans, that is citizens of the United States of America, are not the uniformly stupid and evil people you seem to paint us as, and we do not intentionally support imposing our national will on any other nation that doesn't first somehow threaten us quite severely. Note the poor public support for Bush's invasion of Iraq, for example. On the other hand, we have managed to not invade Iran, despite that nation's avowed intent to destroy us, the obvious governmental involvement in "college students" taking over our embassy and taking hundreds hostage, and their stubborn lack of cooperation with every other country, including Russia, in discussions of their "peaceful" nuclear program. For a nation of demons, as the Iranian government and apparently your impressions would paint us as, we have been solidly non-interfering in so many places that we should actually have gone into and kicked serious booty that we here in the States are "clueless" about what the bleep the rest of the world is complaining about. Perhaps it is because our flaws are amplified, while our positive qualities are ignored, because those acts make some people feel better. I still don't get it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Maybe they could try helping without taking over?

It might go that way in Afghanistan given their lack of oil but I guess that one has been written off as a revenge mission a long time ago.
The US doesn't need "revenge" as a reason to go to war right? I mean, they'll do it to bolster UK oil. Now, as an American, I don't see any Iraqi spigots with USA stamped on 'em (which means they're either meaningless to Americans or they don't exist) and I'm certainly not getting any break on petrol. Otherwise, it depends on how you define help. You're denying, by any mathematical measure you choose; a colossal chunk of the charity that comes out of the US with absolutely zero strings attached or even the capability and means of conceiving take over. This is just antagonistic nonsense. So, the hatred of America cannot be founded on anything that would be influenced by an American act as the distasteful aspects of human nature exist in their own neighborhoods, it must be founded in simple xenophobia; an irrational, geographical hangup.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 11:04 PM

I don't think urinating on dead soldiers helps your cause much.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 04:15 AM

No but at least they are being hunted down and going to be prosecuted for there actions. Its a step up from previous atrocities that where left unpunished. As ebuddy would point out every military has bad apples. Just in the past the US ignored them. So I am not holding this one against them.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 04:18 AM

The US doesn't need "revenge" as a reason to go to war right? I mean, they'll do it to bolster UK oil. Now, as an American, I don't see any Iraqi spigots with USA stamped on 'em (which means they're either meaningless to Americans or they don't exist) and I'm certainly not getting any break on petrol. Otherwise, it depends on how you define help. You're denying, by any mathematical measure you choose; a colossal chunk of the charity that comes out of the US with absolutely zero strings attached or even the capability and means of conceiving take over. This is just antagonistic nonsense. So, the hatred of America cannot be founded on anything that would be influenced by an American act as the distasteful aspects of human nature exist in their own neighborhoods, it must be founded in simple xenophobia; an irrational, geographical hangup.
Saddam was going to switch to the Euro for oil, and was actively trying to get opec to set crude against the Euro which would have been devastating to the US.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Almost all charitable actions outside the US are by non-governmental agencies. Our government is pretty good about waiting to be asked by the local government before diving in (counter examples include Grenada and Panama, but we were right in both instances - and I was IN Panama just before the invasion; I categorically support it). We have certainly made mistakes, supported bad people who did bad things, and exported a form of rather ignorant cultural relativism (just like every other Western nation did), but to suggest that our government is inherently imperialistic and corrupt (the structure, not the current rascals in office) is to lack academic investigation and logical rigor.

Americans, that is citizens of the United States of America, are not the uniformly stupid and evil people you seem to paint us as, and we do not intentionally support imposing our national will on any other nation that doesn't first somehow threaten us quite severely. Note the poor public support for Bush's invasion of Iraq, for example. On the other hand, we have managed to not invade Iran, despite that nation's avowed intent to destroy us, the obvious governmental involvement in "college students" taking over our embassy and taking hundreds hostage, and their stubborn lack of cooperation with every other country, including Russia, in discussions of their "peaceful" nuclear program. For a nation of demons, as the Iranian government and apparently your impressions would paint us as, we have been solidly non-interfering in so many places that we should actually have gone into and kicked serious booty that we here in the States are "clueless" about what the bleep the rest of the world is complaining about. Perhaps it is because our flaws are amplified, while our positive qualities are ignored, because those acts make some people feel better. I still don't get it.
I dont think you get it. If the IMF and World Bank and the US government stopped screwing up countries for profit, the money donated by the American people to clean up those agencies mess would be doing a lot more to help. The right hand knocks them down while the left hand tries to clean it up. Did you know that because of the corn subsidies of the west, both Canada and the US, that corn production is artificially so cheap here it affects the commodity price world wide. Net result farmers in Africa can NOT produce corn cheap enough to actually make a profit from it. Instead they must import it from North America. What is grown in Africa is what is profitable. And the food that is grown in Africa, and a lot of food is grown in Africa ends up being sold in North America and Europe because locals can't afford the food. So while the African grown food is being sold at a profit to Europe and North America charity organizations must provide food back to African people who are starving.

And guess which agencies assisted in debt relief and loan reorganizations to create and setup the farming industries in Africa in the first place... the ones that also included conditions on the loan refinancing and debt relief that forced them to provide the farmed food at market prices and forbid any kind of subsidy which would make the food cheaper for locals.

Take pride in what charities and hard working and charitable Americans do for places like Africa. from the people who give money to those that fly out to provide a helping hand, it is something the US is strong for and would be recognized for, but don't ignore what the IMF and World Bank does that makes the situation itself worse in the first place which is why so much aid is needed. The American people and the charity they provide is over shadowed by the corporate controlled organizations that answer to the US government and companies to be noticed. I actually know very well how good the American people are at helping around the world. I don't ignore it. Some of the most hospitable and generous people in the world are Americans. But cant ignore the cause of the problems either.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2012, 07:47 AM

Now it's IMF and World Bank teaming up with the US Government? Ever note how often those three agree with each other? It's not often. A lot of organizations have attempted to "help out" African farmers, usually applying their own ideas of the conditions the farmers face, with less than stellar results. On the flip side, during the last half of the 20th century, Western aid was aimed at improving standards of living, while Soviet "aid" was aimed at collectivizing everything and providing weapons to assist in exporting "the revolution." Which was better? More efficient farming techniques or Soviet-style management? Careful, there IS a right answer here. In the barely more than 20 years since the Soviet system imploded, the US hasn't done much in terms of pushing farming technology in Africa, and US companies haven't seen much of a profit in doing so either so they haven't tried. The loan guarantees and reorganizations have not been adjusted because of the farmers, but rather their governments who are and have been frankly screwing over their own people for years-forcing those governments to do something other than live in luxury on the loan money is not about the farmers, it's about the despots. It seems like late 20th Century African leaders all tried to be mid-20th Century South American despots... That didn't work so well.

At the moment, the biggest farming modernization project going on in Africa is being done by a Saudi company. And it sounds rather transparently like a move for lots of Saudi profit with modest at best improvements for the farmers in question.

Again, "Americans" are not the meddling and evil people you paint us as, and for good or bad, our history of intervention in a lot of places was based on the global situation at the time. Would a Soviet domination of the Persian Gulf have been a good thing in 1960? I don't think so, based on reading history written by people from a number of other countries. And frankly, it looks like the Shah's record was not nearly as bad as the Ayatolah's. Would Soviet domination of Greece have been a good thing in 1948? Most likely not, so when we aided the established and recognized Greek government (at their request) in building up their military to fight the Soviet backed revolutionaries and insurgents, that seems to have improved the entire world's situation. Seeing some hidden agenda behind these actions (or others) is contradictory; it says that we're all stupid and easily led, but that we're also all in cahoots with some cabal that has its collective eye on world domination. Can't be both...

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2012, 08:37 AM

Saddam was going to switch to the Euro for oil, and was actively trying to get opec to set crude against the Euro which would have been devastating to the US.
Right... and the reason we enjoyed so much Canadian support (material and military) is because something this devastating to the US economy would likewise damage Canada. Self interests. Folks like me in the US are arguing for energy independence. We don't want to have to worry what the international community decides it's going to do with a resource we can just as readily process and sell domestically and abroad. When you make blanket statements about the sentiment of "Americans", you're lumping people in who, if they had their way, would produce a smaller system, less hostile to your sensitivities. There's a lot of us and we're getting louder.

In short, you're blaming Americans for something Canadians have been lapping up for decades. The fact that few care about facts or Canada and other US allies (enablers) does not necessitate a concern on my part. You've established better than anyone that it does not matter what America does, good or bad, it will be interpreted as bad. I'm not going to advocate that the US shrink its GDP, consumership, or population by 90% so it can slip into obscurity for the love of morons.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 12:05 PM

This can't be good.
Iran 'definitely' closing Strait of Hormuz over EU oil embargo; RT
Tensions in the Gulf could reach a breaking point as a senior Iranian official said Iran would “definitely” close the Strait of Hormuz if an EU oil embargo disrupted the export of crude oil, the semi-official Fars news agency reports.
The announcement came in response to a decision by the European Union on Monday to impose an oil embargo on Iran over the country’s alleged nuclear weapons program.
“The pressure of sanctions is designed to try and make sure that Iran takes seriously our request to come to the table,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said.
However, with Washington’s decision to deploy a second carrier strike group in the Gulf, the EU’s attempt to pressure Iran economically could greatly increase the likelihood of all-out war in the region.
The Strait of Hormuz is the vital link between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.
It is also one of the most strategic chokepoints in the world when it comes to oil transit.
With world oil output estimated at some 88 million barrels per day in 2011, the US Energy Information Administration estimated that some 17 million of those barrels passed through the Strait.
If economic sanctions sufficiently pressure Iran to retaliate by closing down the Strait, nearly 20 per cent of worldwide oil trade would be impacted, resulting in a massive spike in global energy costs.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2012, 04:31 PM

I wonder if it's too late to lease some glass-bottom boats over there for this spring. I can do guided tours and show people the Iranian navy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This will lead to war, no doubt if true.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2012, 08:52 PM

Oh I defend the US a lot more then you think to my friends from Europe and other places. My good friend from Holland has finally agreed to take a trip to Seattle with me on his third visit here. His previous 2 visits he wouldn't step foot in the US because of many false beliefs about Americans. This summer hes going to let me take him to Seattle, and the Scablands of Washington, his first visit to the US only because I spend a lot of time debunking a lot of false crap about the US.
Scablands? What are those?

screener
Senior User
Jan 24, 2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Right click on the word to bring up the dictionary.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
East of you

dry falls, wa - Google Maps

Dry Falls is part of the scablands

A good portion of middle washington is the scablands. Dry Falls for example if it still had water flowing would be larger then Niagra Falls. Some valleys in the scablands rival the grand canyon on impressiveness. The pot hole areas are suppose to be amazing. So is how the land is littered with gigantic boulders the size of houses.

A massive lake (Lake Missoula) equal to the smaller of the great lakes created by a ice dam in the last ice age burst in one go sending tons of water through Washington. Most of these features got carved out over night.

Another link for you with some photos Lake Missoula / Scablands / Columbia Flood Basalt: Sacred Sites of the Epic of Evolution

If you want one of the best drives of your life through Washington go up the I5 to Burlington then head east to Concrete through Ross Lake National Park through Winthrop to Omark ending at the Coulee Dam which is in the Scablands. You go from Lush West Coast through Old Growth Forest, through incredible mountainous territory into pure real desert in a matter of 6 hours.
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 24, 2012 at 05:09 AM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 08:15 AM

And I don't think urinating on the reputation of the other 796 who served this battalion admirably during the Haiti earthquake and elsewhere helps yours, whatever that is. Good thing an American turned them in or you'd have nothing to feign outrage over.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 11:49 AM

I'm not feigning outrage, I'm offering reasons as to why other people might be. I think the perception of others is that this is fairly typical of the attitude and behaviour of US troops. I have no doubt its a case of a few bad Apples but somehow the ones who don't behave that way seem to come across as though they might be more likely to than most.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 01:44 PM

East of you

dry falls, wa - Google Maps

Dry Falls is part of the scablands

If you want one of the best drives of your life through Washington go up the I5 to Burlington then head east to Concrete through Ross Lake National Park through Winthrop to Omark ending at the Coulee Dam which is in the Scablands. You go from Lush West Coast through Old Growth Forest, through incredible mountainous territory into pure real desert in a matter of 6 hours.
Interesting. I'm not a huge fan of that area, I prefer going up around Wenatchee or the Peninsula. Highway 101 is probably my favorite drive ever. Beautifully paved and maintained, and stunning scenery, from the Olympic Mountains, to the rocky Pacific coast.

Anyway, on topic, as someone who has a good number of Iranian friends, it's such a shame that their government, which, let's be honest, they haven't elected, continues to be the dickwad of the world while their people are left to suffer as a result of EU and American sanctions. It's a bad, bad situation to be in. The Iranian government itself is in a position now where sanctions don't really affect them, almost to the point of irony. For example, the EU ban on new airliners and parts for Iran means that they've gotten so good at making their own parts for the Airbus A300-600 that Iran now supplies, with the help of Airbus, Lufthansa Technik with parts for the fleets they maintain. The government can adapt to these sanctions, but the people are forced to live with things like substandard airlines, etc.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2012, 03:01 PM

You can do an almost identical type of drive going from Northern to Southern California in about 6 hours as well.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2012, 03:10 PM

I was going to inquire about the surgical precision weapons US people are paying Northrop Grumman for, and use that instead on Ahmedimajad's head, instead of applying that embargo. It would be more humane.
And then I got more interested in the avionics being engineered and marketed from Iran. They must have one heck of a hacker space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules