Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How can I...

How can I...
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:23 PM

I'm user of 12" ibook 700Mhz, and how can I clean the OS X cache or whatever you call it to help it run faster. I've noticed that it got slower everytime I installed upgraded OS X. Or is there any other way that I could clean this Hard drive to eliminate junkies??

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:48 PM

You probably need to defrag your disk... I use PlusOptimizer from an OS 9 boot CD. dunno if any defrag tool is available for OS X yet. (avoid Norton, it's crap...)

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
You probably need to defrag your disk... I use PlusOptimizer from an OS 9 boot CD. dunno if any defrag tool is available for OS X yet. (avoid Norton, it's crap...)

Where can I find more informations about this??

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

xanderwilson
Aug 25, 2003, 11:10 PM

Try diskwarrior. Makes a big difference in speed. Doesn't matter if it's "native," because you boot off the disk when you run it anyway.

Run fsck in single user mode once in a while.

Run MacJanitor (download from VersionTracker) occassionally if you don't leave your computer on at night (I put my laptop to sleep). MacJanitor lets you run some maintenance stuff that would be automatic if you left your computer on 24-7.

Max out your RAM. It really makes a big difference in OS X.

And finally, make sure at least 80% of your hard drive space is free at all times. You'll see a nice performance boost, especially if you work with big files.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 10:25 AM

Make sure 80% is free at all times?

On my 13Gig iMac, that means I'd just have enough room to install OS X and nothing else.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

xanderwilson
Aug 26, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Make sure 80% is free at all times?

On my 13Gig iMac, that means I'd just have enough room to install OS X and nothing else. :)
Oops. I meant 20%. Use no more than 80% of your hard drive space.

Nice catch.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by xanderwilson:
Oops. I meant 20%. Use no more than 80% of your hard drive space.

Nice catch.

Alex.
Oh! I thought you were serious and my old machine was just feeling its age. Good to know Alex!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 11:56 PM

So, I dlwded "Macjanitor" and what do I do next in order to clean up and extended my GB space?

Forum Links
Forum Rules