Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie Recommendation: The Last Emperor(1987)

Movie Recommendation: The Last Emperor(1987)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2012, 11:56 AM

It's funny how we are so heavily influenced by the tastes of those close to and around us, in our comfort zone. That's the only excuse I have for not having discovered this movie earlier. The Last Emperor follows the life of the last emperor of China from his coronation at the age of three, to his death. It follows the rapidly changing world around him, through the Chinese revolution and the world wars.

The story is the centerpiece, and the actors do a great job. The movie's score is great, and the costumes and sets look amazing. This was the first feature film which was authorized to be filmed in the Forbidden City. It won 9 Academy Awards (including Best Picture).

I have seen quite a few movies that depicted the social and political change that came about in the past century(mostly WWII movies) and this one is definitely in the top five, in terms of production value, quality and writing.

The Last Emperor - Theatrical Trailer (YouTube)

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2012, 04:25 PM

It is a fantastic movie, but whenever I think of it, the first thing which pops into my head is Bertolucci saying "if New York is the Big Apple, then tonight, Hollywood is the Big Nipple!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2012, 05:05 PM

A Japanese girl I dated at the time said the Japanese distributor cut out the violence by the Japanese in the movie, but Bertolucci knew nothing about this until it was shown.

He freaked out of course, and some of the young Japanese criticized the company, so the distributor quickly restored the original version for the theatres.

Sadly ironic, given the subject matter.
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 26, 2012 at 05:14 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2012, 05:29 PM

Interesting.

I saw the film in Japan when it came out...I wonder whether I saw the censored version.

Also, this is hardly surprising. There was a HUGE uproar when, in 1993, the first schoolbook publisher DARED even MENTION the Nanjing Massacre in a history textbook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2012, 08:18 PM

I don't know how long it took for the uncensored version to be released in Japan. When she had mentioned all this, it was still the censored version playing IIRC, but I don't think the movie had been out that long.

I didn't learn about the movie being restored to the original for theatrical release until after the fact.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2012, 11:24 AM

A great live performance of the theme of movie: ‪Ryuichi Sakamoto - The Last Emperor‬(Youtube)

Enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules