Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Windows Media Player 7

Windows Media Player 7
JoshFofer
Mar 30, 2001, 01:15 PM

So I'm hearing great things about the new Windows Media Player, that it's a vast improvement over earlier versions. I installed it and it does seem a bit nicer. But I can't seem to get it to work with most WMP links. When I try to view the short film linked below, for example:
http://209.132.219.151/films/film.as..._ID=CA19980010

Windows Media Player launches, but I immediately get this error:

"Cannot open the file. Verify that the path and file name are correct and try again."

The same error occurs when trying to view shorts in WMP format at www.ifilm.com.

I've tried fiddling with the "File Helpers" preferences in Internet Explorer, changing the download destination for these file types (from Temporary Items to Download Folder,) I've also tried changing how the file is post-processed (via application or plug-in) all to no avail. The same error is displayed in Netscape 4.7x and Internet Explorer 5.

What are the appropriate settings to actually be able to use WMP 7? Anyone else having success with this?

Thanks...

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2001, 02:44 PM

My suggestion, get rid of WMP, and boycott every site that uses them as their only media player.

I wouldn't touch that software with a 10 mile pole.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

JoshFofer  (op)
Mar 31, 2001, 09:45 AM

Unfortunately, I live in the real world and that advice isn't practical. I'm able to install QT, Real, and WMP without any conflict to each other -- and I like to be able to view any media on any site. WMP 7 beta worked fine, the release is even a little better. Based on other's comments at
http://macnn.com/news.php?id=4826

it seems that others are having 100% success, so it must be might helper settings or prefs.

Avoiding a site simply because they use the player that is installed by default on 90% of the world's internet-connected PC's seems like a poor way to go about your internet surfing. Maybe that's just me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules