Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > hp Toner cartridge: HP vs Brother, the battle of the ink

hp Toner cartridge: HP vs Brother, the battle of the ink
gpsecart
Banned
Jul 23, 2018, 06:07 AM

Which Place is the best for hp toner cartridge?
i Purchase on gpsecart.com
is it right place to buy toner carrtridge?
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Jul 23, 2018 at 07:12 AM. )

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2018, 07:13 AM

No. You're being ripped-off. They overcharge for hp toner cartidge. They are crooks. Not best.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2018, 08:25 AM

I am very interested to learn how to hack my hp toner cartridge. I have heard if you overclock it the uprates become 11/10.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jul 23, 2018 at 09:52 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 09:53 AM

If I was looking for toner cartridges, and came across a place called subego.com that sold toner cartridges, I think I’d just go for it without asking anyone.

P.S. Banning someone for not posting this in Consumer Hardware is way harsh.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2018, 10:10 AM

Thorzdad is a stickler for rules and order.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 11:15 AM

Toner policing chills my freeze peaches.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 23, 2018, 01:24 PM

I just helped a relative replace an HP multifunction with a new Brother. The problem: HP went back to their old tricks. Rolling out a firmware "update" that blocks 3rd party inks. Or refilled inks. Plugged a new tank in, got the message "counterfeit ink detected" and it was game-over.

After researching it, the only way to win was not to play their game. Pitch it, and buy a brand that doesn't screw the customer after the sale. So I won't touch HP products now, same as Lexmark. Lexmark went all the way to the Supreme Court trying to outlaw 3rd party ink suppliers via the DMCA. And lost. Then tried to do the same with patent law, but got shut down there also.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2018, 03:58 PM

We have a superexpensive HP printer at work. The ink cartridges have a chip in them so that if you try to use them past the expiry date the printer won’t let you. That expiration window seems to always be ~3 months after purchase.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 05:24 PM

Have to agree Brother > HP.

P
Jul 24, 2018, 11:33 AM

Cheap laser > absolutely any inkjet ever. HP makes great cheap lasers, in my experience.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2018, 02:14 PM

Certainly agree that for black and white, every laser beats every inkjet.

HP doesn’t exactly suck, but they used to be the best. It’s not that way anymore.

Brother now = late 90s HP

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2018, 02:45 PM

Epson and Canon can be OK too, depending on model. You have to check first if 3rd-party ink/toner is available. And on the inkjets, watch out for those stupid tri-color tanks. Both Epson and Canon use them on many low-end printers. Gotta make sure you have separate tanks for each color.

Brother doesn't seem to use tri-color tanks. And most models have 3rd party ink readily available. The ones that don't may just be new models, with 3rd party ink on the way. I don't know that answer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2018, 02:57 PM

Canon printers are fine, but the drivers have always been a mess in my experience. I’ve avoided them long enough it may have changed.

I usually go Epson for inkjets.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2018, 03:23 PM

we have a canon, it has 5 cartridges. regular cmyk and special black which is bigger. I also think the reason our last canon stopped working is 3rd party ink. We bought another canon because finding a mac/win printer/scanner that did airdrop was surprisingly limited.

Thorzdad
Jul 24, 2018, 09:07 PM

We have been sans printer for quite some time now. I keep pushing to get a small, cheap laser, but the missus is stuck on getting yet another inkjet. Something about that one time every two years when she might want to print a photo or two. So, we have no printer.

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2018, 10:23 AM

get two!

OreoCookie
Jul 26, 2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Canon printers are fine, but the drivers have always been a mess in my experience. I’ve avoided them long enough it may have changed.
Let me second that with an emphatic, all-caps YES! At work I essentially had to replace a Canon color laser printer which was mechanically in perfect condition because the drivers would refuse to print certain pdf documents. Thank you, but no thank you.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules