Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Rogue Ads

Rogue Ads
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2024, 09:12 AM

reader50
Administrator
Feb 24, 2024, 02:23 PM

It pops down to cover content? Or are we looking at a phone browser?

There's almost nothing I can do about ads today - that all runs through the owner. Who keeps us alive due to altruism I guess. Which makes it hard to forward a complaint.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2024, 02:35 PM

Both. I was on my phone, but the ad is slides down and stays anchored as you scroll. It does seem to be gone now though.

Totally understand we’re at the mercy of our host. I was honestly considering this less of a complaint and more of a notice it’s happening in case it’s unintentionally fucking with our benefactor’s main deal.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 24, 2024, 04:32 PM

I'm seeing this ad style on my desktop now. Though it's at the bottom rather than the top. Ladies underwear plus some Chinese-market tchotchkes.

Doesn't intrude much, on a 4K monitor. Perhaps you need a phone with a larger screen?

ps - I've heard a rumor that if you buy everything advertised, the ads go away. Never had the spare cash to test the theory.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2024, 02:45 PM

On my iPad I’m getting those “slide down” ads…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Feb 25, 2024, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
On my iPad I’m getting those “slide down” ads…
Do none of y’all run content blockers? I haven’t seen an ad here in years.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 29, 2024, 09:22 PM

I only run AdBlock Plus. It used to do a great job of blocking ads, but the way the site is coded, I could see where ads were intended to go. But somehow those stupid ads slip past AdBlock...

Thorzdad
Mar 1, 2024, 06:35 AM

Try adding Firefox Focus to your blocking strategy. I use it and either AdBlock Plus or AdBlock Pro (I go back and forth) on my old iPad, and the combo seems to do a nice job keeping me relatively ad-free.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2024, 03:09 PM

Apparently I strayed from the best path long ago. I have been a Chrome user for a whole lot of years, and when I have to use Firefox (it’s the browser Debian includes in their Live images and their basic installation) I find it unfamiliar. Despite Firefox being another Mozilla browser and everything, it’s just not familiar enough for me.

In fact until very recently I got along with the Chromium browser because for some reason I couldn’t find a Chrome version for Linux (even though the Linux version came out in 2009 when the OS X version did).

Anyway, I haven’t seen those ads for the last several days, so I wonder both where they came from and where they went.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 2, 2024, 05:34 PM

They vanished on me too, over the last few days. For reference, I don't use ad blocks. So in theory, I'll see all ads.

I think the pop-ups used the banner ad spaces. The banners seem missing too, at least today.

Ads on the forums seem to come and go, vanishing for days at a time. Then reappearing. I haven't spotted a pattern.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 5, 2024, 05:39 PM

Oops, the stupid lawyer ad just came back…

Forum Links
Forum Rules