Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > besson's trumpet

besson's trumpet
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 02:46 AM

since we all don't know what trumpet(s) he plays on, I'm hoping that he'll enlighten us.

Come on besson, what kind of instruments do you blow?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2011, 03:33 AM

I'm guessing the little love plays some kind of Besson with a 3c mouthpiece.

But he's canuckistani, so he probably blows large organs too.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2011, 04:15 AM

I no longer play a 3C, and I may switch to a different trumpet too, but I'm kind of cool with leaving my nickname the way it is because I'm famous, but also because it would make no sense that way and that is how I like to roll.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2011, 07:39 AM

I've heard that the 3C is a good "beginner's" mouthpiece (not to sound negative here), but outside of the concept that "most people use a 7C or a 3C for basic playing," the wide variety of mouthpieces gets really confusing. What makes the 3C so appropriate for beginners or, as one comment I read mentioned "those returning to the horn might want to consider the 3c over the 7c."?

It might be interesting to educate us all a bit on the differences between trumpet, cornet, bugle, etc. I've always liked the timbre of the French Horn, but the English Horn (not the oboe instrument, the brass one, sometimes just called a "horn" nowadays) has a wonderful sound to it as well; what makes the trumpet/cornet/bugle-sized instrument your choice over the bigger horns?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 01:24 PM

Played the trumpet years ago through high school. Was pretty good at it if I say so myself. In the middle school I and a tenor sax player were the top two players in the jazz band (concert band too). The difference between us was that while we could both read a piece of music, practice it, and recite it back to you flawlessly ... he could also simply pick up his horn and just play. Whereas I could not. I suppose that's why he went on to play in Wynton Marsalis' band and I ended up in IT.

In any event, my son is playing my old horn now. We'll see how he fares with it.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've heard that the 3C is a good "beginner's" mouthpiece (not to sound negative here), but outside of the concept that "most people use a 7C or a 3C for basic playing," the wide variety of mouthpieces gets really confusing. What makes the 3C so appropriate for beginners or, as one comment I read mentioned "those returning to the horn might want to consider the 3c over the 7c."?

It might be interesting to educate us all a bit on the differences between trumpet, cornet, bugle, etc. I've always liked the timbre of the French Horn, but the English Horn (not the oboe instrument, the brass one, sometimes just called a "horn" nowadays) has a wonderful sound to it as well; what makes the trumpet/cornet/bugle-sized instrument your choice over the bigger horns?

The whole mouthpiece thing is actually very complicated, fascinating, and often debatable. You'd think that after so many years of brass playing that it would be figured out, but it definitely hasn't been - there are numerous different teaching approaches, schools of thought, what works for somebody is not necessarily going to work for the next person, etc.

There is no one mouthpiece that fits everybody, and no "learning" mouthpiece or "pro" mouthpiece or anything like that. It's a little like buying shoes, you need to find one that fits you and supports you. There are numerous variables that weigh into whether a mouthpiece will work: lip size, the way you play (which can change over time), mouthpiece placement on the lips, teeth, oral cavity/palette, etc. Mouthpieces can affect the sound you get too, and make certain kinds of playing more difficult or more difficult to get the sound you want, so there is that too, but not everybody can play on every mouthpiece, there are some that can't even get a sound on certain mouthpieces.

The 3C and 7C adage is just sort of a common denominator thing. Most players seem to be able to get decent results on these mouthpieces, so they are what band directors buy in great quantities for their band programs. That doesn't mean that there is something inferior to these mouthpieces though, there are incredible players that play on both, or the equivalent of these in different mouthpiece makers (which often have different sizing systems). It doesn't mean that they are optimal though either, most players do a ton of switching and experimenting and stuff.

In addition to the physicality of the instrument, there is also a huge mental component that holds true for all instruments. A great part of teaching and learning involves getting your head in the right place, or at least your version of the right place. It's actually quite fascinating to study what goes on at the cerebral level with music making, and improvising (which activates a different part of the brain), and how our emotions and thoughts can help or hurt us. You sort of have to be a psychiatrist to be a successful musician, at times! Even if you are generally positive and confident in your own playing, we all have our days where maybe our pet died or girlfriend dumped us, but we have to produce the same results cause the audience/audition panel/recording/peers/whatever doesn't care one bit

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Played the trumpet years ago through high school. Was pretty good at it if I say so myself. In the middle school I and a tenor sax player were the top two players in the jazz band (concert band too). The difference between us was that while we could both read a piece of music, practice it, and recite it back to you flawlessly ... he could also simply pick up his horn and just play. Whereas I could not. I suppose that's why he went on to play in Wynton Marsalis' band and I ended up in IT.

In any event, my son is playing my old horn now. We'll see how he fares with it.

OAW

I hope he keeps it up!

My primary income source is IT also, but music has been a huge part of my life and what has shaped me and many others, but you probably know this, because many elite work environments are crawling with musicians. Some even hold their own on-campus jam sessions

I have no problem with sports, but I also think that studying music is a far better experience as far as mental development goes than sports, for most people, so it's great to see kids getting into this in high school despite the fact that in most high schools sports is more popular and certainly cooler.

Forum Links
Forum Rules