Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Massive bug: New MacBook randomly shuts down.

Massive bug: New MacBook randomly shuts down.
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 11:52 PM

It seems to happen when I'm doing something CPU intensive, the fans won't spin up and then the machine will shutdown from over heating (presumably), then the fans will go full blast as it reboots.

MacBook white (late 2007)

PS: When doing CPU intensive tasks on my iMac the fans won't spin up, but I have yet to have a shutdown on it. When I posted about it a month or so ago I was told it wasn't something to worry about. The iMac started displaying this behavior after I upgraded to Leopard. Could this be a Leopard bug affecting both my iMac and MacBook?
Signature depreciated.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2007, 02:20 AM

If the OS doesn't control the fans they rev up automatically to prevent thermal problems. I'd use your hardware test CD and see if it tells you anything about the fans.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If the OS doesn't control the fans they rev up automatically to prevent thermal problems. I'd use your hardware test CD and see if it tells you anything about the fans.
I tried to run the hardware test the 1st time but it shutdown (fans never spun up) but luckully they spun up the 2nd time. The MacBook passed the extended test 3 times. Right now I'm using Fan Control to just the base fan speed to 2000 RPM (from 1700).
Signature depreciated.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2007, 04:36 PM

What program(s) were you running when this happened? The same one(s)?

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
What program(s) were you running when this happened? The same one(s)?
Anything that heats the CPU up, watching a youtube video (a long one), compiling a application, etc.

Safari is what I was using to watch a youtube video.
Signature depreciated.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2007, 06:05 PM

Could it be an incompatibility with SMC fan control and Leopard or something like that? Like SMC fan control keeping the fans at a certain speed and not letting them spin up any further...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 08:10 PM

Sounds defective, call AppleCare to have it fixed.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 11:48 PM

Keep Activity Monitor open to where you can see the CPU graph on the very side of the screen behind your other windows. If you see the graph maxing out, just switch windows to see what software is responsible. Perhaps it's something you installed in Tiger that isn't compatible with Leopard?

Create another "testing" admin account and do the exact same stuff that you normally do that results in the MB shutting down. Does it still shut down? If the behavior goes away, then it's something that installed in your user folder.

Alternatively, back everything up (Carbon Copy Cloner onto an external disk) and then do a virgin install with the same user name and password. Does the MB still shut down? If the behavior goes away, then the MB is fine...

Forum Links
Forum Rules