Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macworld Prediction Thread

Macworld Prediction Thread (Page 3)
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The G4 cube tanked when it came out as it was expensive. The Mini 5 years later was smaller and cheaper and did rather well.
Not specifically because it was too expensive, but rather it was virtually the same price as a G4 powermac without the upgradeability. If they positioned better between the iMac and Powermac it may have faired better.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Not specifically because it was too expensive, but rather it was virtually the same price as a G4 powermac without the upgradeability. If they positioned better between the iMac and Powermac it may have faired better.
So in other-words it was to expensive for what you got.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 04:38 PM

But looked real pretty.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 05:14 PM

Actually it was expensive for what you didn't get. Expansion capabilities.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Actually it was expensive for what you didn't get. Expansion capabilities.
yes it didn't expand like the towers but you could still add a new hard drive and a heap of RAM to it better than todays mini's.

For me it was perfect and I knew I paid for the design of it which didn't bother me and the 150,000 other people who got one. Unfortunately that wasn't enough.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 06:24 PM

I personally loved the Cube. I want to get one, but I want it to be in near-perfect condition, which is getting hard to find without paying a ton.

BTW, my dad's friend is working on a Cube G5. Not sure how that will work with the G5's heat.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm not trying to bust your chops- but the Duo's came out in the mid 90's- when I'm guessing you were in elementary school. What are you basing this comment on? You didn't see many on the playground?
My mom was in high school when Star Wars came out, but I know that it was a success.

packet of krisps
Jan 7, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I personally loved the Cube. I want to get one, but I want it to be in near-perfect condition, which is getting hard to find without paying a ton.

BTW, my dad's friend is working on a Cube G5. Not sure how that will work with the G5's heat.
I have seen people easily put 80mm exhaust fans on the bottom of those things, pillowcase has done it, you just slide the fan into a gap between the vent and processor heatsink.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
I have seen people easily put 80mm exhaust fans on the bottom of those things, pillowcase has done it, you just slide the fan into a gap between the vent and processor heatsink.
Huh. After my iMac though, I don't like the idea of putting that much heat in such a small case.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 07:35 PM

My mom was in high school when Star Wars came out, but I know that it was a success.
Yes- but so was the Duo. It was in production for 5 years- longer than the TiBook- not exactly the bomb you made it out to be.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 07:42 PM

Wow, I sure don't remember the Duo being out for five! years. As far as I know, it was only on the Seinfeld set for 1 or 2 years.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 08:11 PM

Yes- but so was the Duo. It was in production for 5 years- longer than the TiBook- not exactly the bomb you made it out to be.
Mactracker says it was discontinued two years and eight months after it was introduced — obviously with no replacement.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 09:05 PM

The Chevy Lumina was around for 11 years, but it was a bomb. What are you trying to say? That because something happened before I was born or when I was in elementary school that I can't possibly know anything about it? There was a large earthquake in Washington when I was in 4th grade. By your logic, the earthquake probably never happened and was more likely to have been a thunderstorm.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 09:20 PM

Paco, do you know anything about dinosaurs?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Paco, do you know anything about dinosaurs?
Do you know anything about Paco ?

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 02:15 AM

The COMPLETE Mac mini fits inside a Cube enclosure. All you have to do is line up the optical drive slot and put in some rubber inserts to hold it in place and you're good to go.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 02:17 AM

space farmers, Fenwick Michigan, he likes: The Beatles, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones.

why do you ask turtle?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 05:58 AM

The Chevy Lumina was around for 11 years, but it was a bomb. What are you trying to say? That because something happened before I was born or when I was in elementary school that I can't possibly know anything about it? There was a large earthquake in Washington when I was in 4th grade. By your logic, the earthquake probably never happened and was more likely to have been a thunderstorm.
This is an annoying argument. My point was not that one cannot have knowledge of something if they were not there. I was responding to your direct comments:
Originally Posted by awaspaas
Wasn't DuoDock a horrible failure? I'm not sure how this is an improvement, but I honestly haven't thought about it that much.
Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Yeah it was.
And

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
Was it because of the price and performance? they could do it much better today.

The G4 cube tanked when it came out as it was expensive. The Mini 5 years later was smaller and cheaper and did rather well.
If I remember right it was mostly price, and most people didn't seem to think it was worth a premium
It was not a bomb, flop or rejected by the market. Duo's were sold from October 1992 (Duo 210), until February 2007 (Duo 2300). It made the transition from the 68030, to the 68040, to the PowerPC. It made the transition from Grayscale to Color. The product line was "end-of-lifed" only when the replacement, the PB2400 was released. Unfortunately, this really did flop in the market place- they keyboard was too small and it had no docking station. So my point was- you have your facts wrong.

The only reason I brought up your age is that you asserted your incorrect knowledge as having the backing of memory. Again, for emphasis:

If I remember right it was mostly price, and most people didn't seem to think it was worth a premium
Which again, was just wrong.

As for the Lumina, two things- the computer business is not the car business. Second, the Lumina sold in huge numbers to fleet sales (rentals, taxis, etc). I don't care that you are young- my point is that you are wrong.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 09:36 AM

Is the keynote one or two hours this year? Let us assume it is 2 hours long, the first 20 minutes recapping what has happened in the last year, then we move onto iTunes and movie rentals, that takes us up another 30 minutes with some tie into the iPhone. The we move onto the new LED displays in 3 new sizes, which burns another 15 minutes, then the new apple TV?Mac Mini slim nano version and in the final 30-40 minutes we have one more thing: SlimBookPro

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I've been wondering if they incorporate true commercial hi-def optical disc support (Blu-ray and/or HD DVD), but my guess is no. If they did do it though, it'd come with a new Mac Pro (which is due for an update).

Oh and no 3G iPhone either yet.

Maybe a new small form factor pro laptop.

Quiet release of an updated Mac mini? Nah. Too early.

Maybe a new Xserve. (And yes they have announced Xserves at Macworld before.)

No iTablet.
Well, the new Mac Pro is here. No hi-def burner.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 05:20 PM

when is the keynote?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 06:42 PM

This is an annoying argument. My point was not that one cannot have knowledge of something if they were not there. Duo's were sold from October 1992 (Duo 210), until February 2007 (Duo 2300).
Oh really?

So by your thinking, George Washington wasn't the United States' first President. Nobody alive today was there, so it couldn't have happened. The Civil War never happened, we just made it up.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 07:39 PM

Oh really?

So by your thinking, George Washington wasn't the United States' first President. Nobody alive today was there, so it couldn't have happened. The Civil War never happened, we just made it up.
Do you not read or are you just kind of dumb? Maybe someone else can explain this to you.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 07:42 PM

a little extreme dontcha think paco?
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 8, 2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: paco = paco not pao)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 PM

Do you not read or are you just kind of dumb? Maybe someone else can explain this to you.
I read perfectly fine. I read that you said that I can't have knowledge of something that happened when I was young or not around.

"My point was not that one cannot have knowledge of something if they were not there."

I guess we'll never know what happens at Macworld unless we all personally go there. And we should all stop watching the news.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 07:52 PM

*sigh* his point: WAS NOT that you CANNOT.

think about it Mitchell

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 07:53 PM

Oh oops. My apologies Paco

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 12:08 AM

Wow, Mitch, hilarious !

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 12:10 AM

i looked for white text, but there was none

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
a little extreme dontcha think paco?
Yep. But I post how I live. Xtreme.

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 9, 2008, 03:53 AM

So with the release of the MacPro update, it begs the questions: what is left to announce at MWSF? I can't imagine any major iPod/iPhone announcements (Unless you consider possibly going to a G3 network major) as they just were recently updated. the iMacs were updated at the same time.

The only thing that would make any sense to me (Not that I have a lot on sense to begin with) might possibly be the introduction of the headless midway system we've always wanted but never really got. The argument against doing so has always been that doing so would cut into the Mac Pros margin, with the release of the 8 core systems all across, might there be enough room now?. Could it be fair to assume, they'll dump the mini, and let the iMac slip into the Mini's lower level niche, and then replace it with something new in the middle? Just a thought
What, me worry?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 09:19 AM

Yep. But I post how I live. Xtreme.
You and Vanilla Ice.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:38 PM

someone needs to release some more info to the rumor sites to fuel this macworld. I am tired of the lack of info out there.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
1. subnotebook with external optical drive.
2. a merged TV/Mac mini/home server, no optical drive, but you can use the external one.
3. iPhone/iTouch updates including new apps and games
4. Mac Pro update with Blu-Ray
5. Game demos: Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War.
6. New Aperture and Aperture Express.
7. Demos for Abode Photoshop Elements and Microsoft Office.

I think we still might see Blu-Ray from Apple. This is going out a limb, but perhaps Apple will introduce an external Blu-Ray drive that could be used with the merged TV/Mac mini, with the Mac Pro, and with any laptop. Apple might also add an internal option for the Mac Pro.

If Apple sold an external Blu-Ray drive, wouldn't you buy one in a second? I would.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jan 10, 2008 at 06:20 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 03:19 PM

7. Demos for Abode Photoshop Elements and Microsoft Office.

I think we still might see Blu-Ray from Apple. This is going out a limp, but perhaps Apple will introduce an external Blu-Ray drive that could be used with the merged TV/Mac mini, with the Mac Pro, and with any laptop. Apple might also add an internal option for the Mac Pro.
That would piss off a lot of people who ordered the Mac Pro already.

If Apple sold an external Blu-Ray drive, wouldn't you buy one in a second? I would.
Why? What would an external Apple Blu-ray drive offer over a 3rd party one, except the Apple warranty and a higher price for the Apple? Well, looks I suppose...

P.S. There is no mention of HDCP support for the new Mac Pros.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
So with the release of the MacPro update, it begs the questions: what is left to announce at MWSF? I can't imagine any major iPod/iPhone announcements (Unless you consider possibly going to a G3 network major) as they just were recently updated. the iMacs were updated at the same time.
• TV
• Mac mini
• MacBooks (Pro)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 04:00 PM

That would piss off a lot of people who ordered the Mac Pro already.
Unless you bought a stock model, most shipments dates are weeks away, giving buyers a chance to upgrade.
Why? What would an external Apple Blu-ray drive offer over a 3rd party one, except the Apple warranty and a higher price for the Apple? Well, looks I suppose...
Blu-Ray playback with the "Macbook mini" and TV/Mac mini, since neither will have an optical drive.
P.S. There is no mention of HDCP support for the new Mac Pros.
True. But can Apple meet the requirements in software?

I did mention that this is all going-out-a-limb stuff.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 04:30 PM

Unless you bought a stock model, most shipments dates are weeks away, giving buyers a chance to upgrade.
Yeah, but it's still a lot of people nonetheless.

Blu-Ray playback with the "Macbook mini" and TV/Mac mini, since neither will have an optical drive.
We'll, they'll have to licence VC-1 and AACS. And I'm not sure if a MacBook and Mac mini have enough power to handle it. Maybe the MacBook does with the new X3100 though, and they could update the Mac mini at Macworld. However, the AppleTV definitely doesn't have enough power.

True. But can Apple meet the requirements in software?
It's a hardware and software requirement AFAIK. (I suppose it's always possible it's already there in hardware, but they just haven't implemented it yet.)

I did mention that this is all going-out-a-limb stuff.
True dat.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 11:21 PM

IIRC, the GeForce 2 MX with the massive heatsink - the version appropriate for the Cube - was rare as hen's teeth after market.

The biggest drawback was the above, and the fact you couldn't use a desktop drive. You could have a DVD-ROM drive, or a CD-RW, but not both at the same time.
The cube did use a full size drive.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
The cube did use a full size drive.
Note the comment after that. I was talking about desktop optical drives.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 01:04 PM

I have an idea of something that Apple wont be releasing.. I think(hope) a 3rd party vendor will be releasing something that will integrate your car and iPhone better than what is currently on the market... which is pretty much nothing..

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 02:14 PM

Updated iPhone OS/new standard apps 99%
iTunes rentals 99%
iPhone games 90%
3rd party iPhone Apps 90%
16 gig iPhone 50%
3G iPhone 10%
Subnotebook 25%
New look Macbook 25%
New look MacBook Pro 25%
Bumped iMacs 75%
Bumped Mini 75%
New Mini form factor/ headless iMac 10%
New Apple TV 75%
New look displays 10%
Display price drop 50%
Blu-ray anything 10%
New iPods or updates of any kind 1%
Something completely unexpected 20%

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Bumped Mini 75%
New Mini form factor/ headless iMac 10%
New Apple TV 75%
BusinessWeek: Steve Jobs' Video Dreams

It's a sign of the challenges ahead for Jobs & Co. While Apple's dramatic comeback thanks to digital music and the iPod reads like a Hollywood screenplay, Jobs' efforts in video-land won't follow the same script. Indeed, two years after Apple added video capability to its iPod line and began selling a smattering of shows and movies on the iTunes Music Store, its share in video remains minuscule.

Jobs is planning a major offensive to try to change all that, with at least some of the details to be announced at Macworld on Jan. 15. Most important, he plans to launch a movie rental service on iTunes for the first time. Apple is in furious negotiations with top studios to make their new releases available for the service, as well as for sale. BusinessWeek has learned that Apple is nearing deals with Warner Bros. (TWX) and Paramount (VIA), and has already secured deals with Disney (DIS) and 20th Century Fox. Apple is also planning a major upgrade of the slow-selling Apple TV set-top box.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 02:34 PM

I want to be able to pay one monthly fee and have access to all the downloadable HD movies I want.

Make it happen Apple!

The first company to get a device like that on the market, and make it easy, cheap and fully supported by the studios will win this thing. Or have a huge head start anyway.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 03:30 PM

I'll predict a 42" iMac just because I need a new television.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 03:37 PM

Macworld.Ars: First banner up at Moscone Center

2008. There's something in the air.

By that slogan, it's probably something wireless. Thinking caps on, people...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 03:38 PM

My first thought would be wireless synching iPods, but that makes no sense.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 03:46 PM

CDMA iPhone?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 03:46 PM

Wireless TV?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr