Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How good is a PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

How good is a PS3 as a Blu-ray player?
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 06:10 AM

I figured we'd get a PS3 as a Blu-ray player instead of a stand-alone player. It would save us money as a player and a gaming console.
Signature depreciated.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 8, 2008, 06:47 AM

It's probably the best Blu-ray player on the market at the moment in terms of price and function/support. Profile 1.1 (and potentially 2.0, thanks to very frequent firmware updates over internet), plays Divx, very fast load times (~30 seconds compared to up to a minute on most standalones), DVD upscaling, and Sony's announced a scheme to allow Blu-ray copying to PSPs. There are cheaper standalones coming to the market in the next few months, of course, but for now $399 for a PS3 is as good as you'll get.

Join us in the Lounge for the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD discussion. You'll get more info there.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
It's probably the best Blu-ray player on the market at the moment in terms of price and function/support. Profile 1.1 (and potentially 2.0, thanks to very frequent firmware updates over internet), plays Divx, very fast load times (~30 seconds compared to up to a minute on most standalones), DVD upscaling, and Sony's announced a scheme to allow Blu-ray copying to PSPs. There are cheaper standalones coming to the market in the next few months, of course, but for now $399 for a PS3 is as good as you'll get.

Join us in the Lounge for the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD discussion. You'll get more info there.
I've been reading up on it (seeing that Blu-ray has effectively won the format wars.) Thats good to hear.

One more thing: does it come with a remote or do you have to use the controller? I remembered when we got a PS2 (our first DVD player, coincidentally) and it sucked having to use the controller to control the DVD.
Signature depreciated.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 AM

Bluetooth remote is an extra.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Bluetooth remote is an extra.
Awesome, good to know.
Signature depreciated.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 02:28 PM

I'm more than very pleased with my PS3 as a Blu-ray player.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Awesome, good to know.
Its about $25

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2008, 09:16 PM

bites that the controller is bluetooth and not infrared.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 09:28 PM

It's a good BD player (and a reasonable DVD upscaler), and very future proof (1.1 now and 2.0 in the future).

OTOH, it doesn't support IR, has no front panel, and sucks a lot of power (which means the fans can get loud on some units if it's in a small space).

However, since you're interested in gaming, the PS3 is probably the best bang for the buck.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2008, 11:21 PM

Right now is the only smart buy in terms of Blu-ray. considering that the stand-alone players out right now, dont have upgradability. that will change future ones will have ethernet(wifi)

So you can update the PS3 as blu-ray evolves.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 02:51 AM

This was one of the reasons I bought my PS3, figuring if Blu-Ray lost, I'd still have a nice game console. Now I rock the Blu-Ray movies with glee in between bouts of Rock Band. As a player, it's certainly different from a stand alone in that it take more button pushes to get to the movie, but it works wonderfully, and movies look great on my 40" plasma.

bmwparamedic
Jan 13, 2008, 01:29 PM

Wow so this means I won't be able to use my Logitech Harmony Remote for the PS3, I think I'll wait for a while then.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 01:39 PM

It does suck that the Harmony remote (which I have) is useless with the PS3. In my PS3 box there was a rebate that said that if you bought two movies (out of a list) they will send you a free PS3 remote.

bmwparamedic
Jan 14, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
It does suck that the Harmony remote (which I have) is useless with the PS3. In my PS3 box there was a rebate that said that if you bought two movies (out of a list) they will send you a free PS3 remote.
Do you forsee any work out with an IR port to get the harmony remote to work.

bmwparamedic
Jan 14, 2008, 06:48 PM

I also heard that the new airport base station doesn't connect well with a secured internet connection with the PS3 can anyone comment on this.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bmwparamedic View Post
Do you forsee any work out with an IR port to get the harmony remote to work.
Amazon.com: PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote: Video Games

Won't let you power off or on the unit, but will allow you to use the Harmony remote to control it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules