Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Danish Windmill blows up.

Danish Windmill blows up.
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 10:34 PM

YouTube - Danish Wind turbine Accident

Freaky, I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those blades...
Signature depreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 10:56 PM

Wow, that's pretty insane. That shrapnel would be very dangerous. Glad we don't have any of those nearby

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 10:57 PM

Wonder how high those winds were. And just how did that guy know to film that wind turbine at that very moment?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Wonder how high those winds were. And just how did that guy know to film that wind turbine at that very moment?
He had a premonition through the Force.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:04 PM

must have been a test

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:06 PM

The governor and brakes failed. They knew it was going to fail catastrophically at some point and sent a crew out to recover the pieces when it did fail.
Signature depreciated.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 11:07 PM

And just how did that guy know to film that wind turbine at that very moment?
Something was rotten in Denmark.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
must have been a test
Here is the tape of the newscast, anybody who knows Dutch please translate: YouTube - Danish Wind turbine Accident
Signature depreciated.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2008, 11:15 PM

Judging from YouTube, it looks like a lot of people happened to be filming it. Probably because the windmill was going crazy in the storm and they thought it would be cool to film.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:39 PM

That's the thing about carbon fiber. When it goes, it really goes.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 12:31 AM

Awesome... the thing just disintegrated!
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 03:09 AM

wasn't there a house with this happening?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
That's the thing about carbon fiber. When it goes, it really goes.
Yeah, I saw a clip of a women's road bike race on TV. One woman's carbon wheels just disintegrated during the race (all caught on camera). A bazillion pieces. She ended up in the hospital.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Here is the tape of the newscast, anybody who knows Dutch please translate: YouTube - Danish Wind turbine Accident
I know Dutch but this is Danish
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 06:23 AM

how embarrassing.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Like PB2K said, that’s Danish, not Dutch.

Translation:

“A windmill collapsed and broke in half on a field between Hadslev and Hornslet [two small towns, probably in Jutland]. Look here.

The police have set up a safety zone of a 400 metre radius. No one was hurt. The windmill, which had started running amock, was going at a neckbreak speed, and shrapnel and wing pieces are spread over a large area of land.

At our web site, we’ve collected more pictures of the windmill gone crazy, and the pieces that are left of it; you can see it all at nyhederne.tv2.dk.”

(And that broadcaster was named sexiest man or something like that in a Danish gay magazine last week )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Like PB2K said, that’s Danish, not Dutch.
But the idea is dutch, no?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2008, 11:13 AM

It looks like the wind was high enough that a blade clipped the tower. That caused that blade to disintegrate, which threw off the others so they disintegrated. The blade striking the tower also damaged it enough that it collapsed. Did anyone else note how the blade chunks flew BACK toward the tower after they had flown off? That's some wind! And of course without something keeping the blades from going too fast, they can get wobbly and have a higher chance of losing the stiffness they need to turn in one plane.

Overall it was amazing to see, but I'm glad I was in Texas when it happened!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It looks like the wind was high enough that a blade clipped the tower. That caused that blade to disintegrate, which threw off the others so they disintegrated. The blade striking the tower also damaged it enough that it collapsed. Did anyone else note how the blade chunks flew BACK toward the tower after they had flown off? That's some wind! And of course without something keeping the blades from going too fast, they can get wobbly and have a higher chance of losing the stiffness they need to turn in one plane.

Overall it was amazing to see, but I'm glad I was in Texas when it happened!
It wasn’t that bad, the wind. It was a regular storm, nothing coming even close to some of the storms you get in the US. There were individual gusts of wind of up to about 31 m/s (which Dashboard tells me is about 85 mph), which is hurricane speeds. But the average wind speed was far below that, about 20 m/s (45 mph).

I’ve been at work all weekend and haven’t had the time to watch any news, so if it hadn’t been for this thread, I’d never even have known there was a storm on. It was just regular wind over here.

It doesn’t take that much wind to change the direction of a flying windmill wing, though: they’re extremely light and easily blown around.

CATS—it didn’t say anywhere that the governor had failed, only the braking systems. Vestas had apparently had some technicians in this particular mill the same day who then ordered the extraordinarily large safety zone to be set up when they’d found the braking systems to be faulty, and knowing there was a storm on its way. The three other times that this has happened over the past few months, Vestas mills going ballistic and losing wings in the UK and Gotland, it’s apparently been because Vestas hadn’t been maintaining the mills properly; time will tell whether that’s the case here, too (and the second one in Odsherred that apparently lost a wing yesterday, as well).

mindwaves
Feb 24, 2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Something was rotten in Denmark.
A fitting quote.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
A fitting quote.
No, this mill wasn’t in Dybbøl.

design219
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Glad we don't have any of those nearby
A freak occurrence.

This attitude seems to be a problem in America...people don't want to "destroy" their view of their scenery. I would love to have one on my property, but I built such an energy efficient passive solar house, that it is not at all cost effective at this point.

I wish America would embrace wind energy the way some european countries have. I actually think they are lovely.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2008, 12:44 PM

This attitude seems to be a problem in America...people don't want to "destroy" their view of their scenery.
It’s a problem here, too. People always bitch and moan about it whenever they’re planning a new windmill park somewhere.

I like them, though, I think they’re beautiful. A park of about 100 windmills all moving in unison is a thing of beauty to behold, if you ask me, not a blemish on the horizon.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 01:00 PM

Yeah. I'd never seen any (besides the big one in Toronto's downtown park) but I ran into a windmill farm well north of Toronto a few years back. It was actually surprisingly pleasing to look at, to be honest. Very mesmerizing. Certainly much more attractive than an industrial power-generating plant. Now if we only didn't need to worry about the blades flying off and cutting people in half....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 01:23 PM

i'm pretty sure that in later generations of these windmills, the blades turn parallel to the wind so they just sit there, so you don't have to worry about the stress of a brake in a high wind situation.

design219
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 01:31 PM

I'm suspecting this had to do with gears locking up and not the stress of the wind itself.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules