Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > could Time Capsule be the cause of video conference connection drops?

could Time Capsule be the cause of video conference connection drops?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
May 19, 2009, 02:58 AM

1. On May 10, I was in a videochat with my brother (between Texas, USA and London, UK) when I lost all internet connectivity -- and so did all users on my LAN. There were some warning signs because after a while, bandwidth seemed to decrease. I'm on a 8 mbps down / 512 kbps up internet connection and was connected via Airport Express 802.11g. Although there was a green light on the TC, internet apps couldn't connect, even over wired ethernet. Rebooting the Time Capsule (1st generation) resulted in a blinking yellow light, and I thought my TC was fried because (at the suggestion of my internet provider) connecting my cable modem directly to my computer worked, but on a whim I reconnected everything as before, and internet connectivity through the TC was restored.

I'm running firmware version 5.4.1 in the TC and with Back to My Mac (new feature) enabled.

2. Just now it happened again. I'm now in France, and while doing a videoconference via Skype with my wife at home in the States, after about 1/2 an hour, the connection was lost. The earlier incident was Intel iMac to Intel MacBook Pro, and this incident was between a PowerBook G4 equipped with an iSight camera and my MacBook Pro. My wife was on wired ethernet (on a subnet connected via a Panasonic powerline ethernet adapter that maxes out at 40 mb/sec) and so was I. Activity Monitor didn't show transfer rates beyond about 120 KB/s down and 50-60 KB/s up. By the way, this connection drop was also preceded by a weird symptom: a little while before the drop, the image transmitted by my built-in iSight camera very briefly degenerated into a screen of colored lines, both on my wife's screen and on the inset photo on my screen.

Could this be the sign of a flaky Time Capsule?

The only obvious common factor here is the home network with the Time Capsule as the router. Its one-year warranty expired May 6

Forum Links
Forum Rules