Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP unibody won't sleep when lid is closed

MBP unibody won't sleep when lid is closed (Page 2)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2009, 06:36 PM

In the meantime I found some time to try it out. The good news is that booted in FW TDM and plugged into power, the MBP will stay awake even when you close its lid. You can continue using the disk. What does happen though is that the screen turns off when you close the lid. As soon as you open the lid the screen comes back on and displays the FW logo.

From what I can tell you can't sleep a MBP in TDM. I didn't even notice if the disk ever spun down during longer periods of idle time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2009, 08:00 PM

Good to know. Thanks for trying that.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2009, 07:46 PM

The bad news is that on Saturday, when I put my MBP to sleep with the Cinema Display attached, I was unable to get the display to turn on again, even after disconnecting the Cinema Display. I had to force a reboot.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2009, 04:00 AM

When that happens, have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor's USB connection?

It would also be interesting to know if changing USB ports helps.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 22, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
When that happens, have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor's USB connection?.
Makes no difference whatsoever.
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It would also be interesting to know if changing USB ports helps.
I'm becoming convinced that there's a hardware/software bug involving the use of Apple Cinema displays with Apple laptops in clamshell mode. My PowerBook G4/1.67GHz would periodically refuse to wake up after I disconnected it from a 20" Apple Cinema Display. I read a report from someone on Macintouch who wrote that he had the same problem 10% of the time. My wife's PowerBook G4/1.33GHz will periodically freeze with the same 20" Apple Cinema Display -- actually, so frequently under 10.5.8 with the 20" ACD that I downgraded to her to 10.5.6 and the problem disappeared. She runs a much "cleaner" system, i.e. far fewer background apps, input methods, etc. Now I have a MacBook Pro unibody and a 23" Apple Cinema Display, and I'm encountering what appear to be related problems, and I'm running 10.5.8.

Forum Links
Forum Rules