Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > QS2001 + GigaDesigns dp1.8 Upgrade

QS2001 + GigaDesigns dp1.8 Upgrade
David Thompson
May 19, 2005, 05:50 PM

The most difficult part of installing this upgrade was actually removing the heat sink clips from the original processor. A bit difficult. Once the heat sink was removed, removing the old cpu and replacing it with the upgrade was pretty easy. (Man, was it ever DUSTY in and around there!)

Initially, the machine wouldn't boot. Discovered that the speed was not set properly with DIP switches. I reset these to the appropriate value and it booted fine.

Did have a problem with the Radeon 9800 Pro's fan not wanting to run--it got rather HOT! I had this fan, the Giga fan and one disk drive all connected to the same power connector. Not sure whether the power supply is inadequate or I just need to tap into a different lead (since I've no spares). I've temporarily replaced the 9800 with a 9000.

XBench cpu test: before=98; after=221 (nice increase!)

Cinebench 2003 single cpu 161.7; mult cpu 95.9; speedup 1.69x

kriegman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 10:37 AM

Where you able to get the 9800 to work? I did the same upgrade (Dual 1.33ghz from a single 1ghz) and that darn card gets too hot!

David Thompson  (op)
May 31, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by kriegman
Where you able to get the 9800 to work? I did the same upgrade (Dual 1.33ghz from a single 1ghz) and that darn card gets too hot!
No. And as a matter of fact the whole machine is now completely dead. Even with the original processors reinstalled and all foreign stuff removed it wouldn't boot. I think something happened to the power. I decided not to throw any more money at it (it IS a four-year-old machine, after all) and recycled the box. I kept the Radeon 9800 and the Giga Dual 1.8 upgrade. Not sure what I'll do with them.

I'm down to using just my laptop (15"PB1.33). Except that all the data DVDs created on my QS won't read on it--reads commercial video DVDs just fine. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new desktop. Maybe after any new announcements get made next week...

Macola
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by David Thompson
I kept the Radeon 9800 and the Giga Dual 1.8 upgrade. Not sure what I'll do with them.
eBay. You'll recover most, if not all, of your cost.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

kriegman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 03:33 PM

I'm going to try to buy a PCI Fan and add some heatsinks to the video card. I'll post the results.

ViviMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 02:34 AM

is it possible you just blew your power supply causing it not to boot?

David Thompson  (op)
Jun 7, 2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ViviMaster
is it possible you just blew your power supply causing it not to boot?
Well, possible, I suppose. It was a progressive thing, though, and power never completely died, but could not do a power reset. It would TRY to boot. For a while a clean boot would work, then even that would generate tons of error msgs (like a kernel panic). Any way, it's gone...

JimmytheC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 05:51 PM

David,

I'm encountering what appears to be the same problem you had - I've installed the Powerlogix 1.8 dual upgrade card into my 2002 1ghz dual quicksilver. When I reboot, the drive spins, but there is no chime and no evidence of further system startup. The Powerlogix firmware patches are installed. When I reinstall the original processors, everything works. (..well enough to beg for help on MacNN.) I've looked for info on proper settings for the DIP switches, but can't find any source for this (and don't savor the trial and error approach.)

What DIP switch settings did you use?

Appreciate the help/guidance/etc.

--James

Originally Posted by David Thompson
The most difficult part of installing this upgrade was actually removing the heat sink clips from the original processor. A bit difficult. Once the heat sink was removed, removing the old cpu and replacing it with the upgrade was pretty easy. ... Initially, the machine wouldn't boot. Discovered that the speed was not set properly with DIP switches. I reset these to the appropriate value and it booted fine.
When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout. --Moose

David Thompson  (op)
Nov 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimmytheC

What DIP switch settings did you use?

Appreciate the help/guidance/etc.

--James
Sorry, James, but I gave up and trashed (recycled) the box some time ago--though I still have the Giga cpu upgrade. I bought a new dual 2.0 (with which I'm quite pleased)--though altogether it was an expensive proposition! Very annoying! It worked quite well until I started futzing with the graphics card ...
PM/DP2.0/2.5G; PB15/1.33/768MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules