Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 8)
Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 09:19 AM

I think I've requested this before, but can't remember for sure...

When I hover over a link that will open in a new window through target=blank, I wish the status bar would say "Open ... in a new window", the same way it does when I hold down the command key. It'd make forums a lot more useful - the majority do new window but some (like sitepoint) don't.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 12:35 PM

You know, one of the things that rocks my socks about OmniWeb is that if the app crashes e.g. right now as I am inputting this post, when I re-launch it, all this text that I have already typed (more often than not) is restored to the input field. Is there any other browser that does this?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

You know what is funny?

I just paid money for FireFox (donation for the advertisement) and bought Opera (W32 + OSX).

Of course, I believe in paying for good software and I make my living with browsers, so for me it is the cheapest of all professional software on the market.

Gbrowser? Bring it on!! (Rumor has it it will be a Firefox branded browser).

BZ

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
Well I did so deal with it.

If people wanmt to PAY for a browser that does not work, then by all means go for it. There are plenty of good FREE browsers that work just fine.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 06:15 PM

Things I learned from Opera that I would love to see in OW 5.2 (5.5, whatever).

- Reload ever X seconds minutes. Very handy.

- A toolbar that shows document size, download speed, images, and seconds to download. VERY VERY handy.

- Double clicking on tabs bounces back and forth from the two most previous tabs. A key command does it as well. This is a KEY feature needed in OmniWeb.

- A quick preferences menu (or sub menu)

- Speed. God is Opera for W32 FAST! It is faster than anything I have ever seen. I am sure it is very cached, but still, it very fast.

BZ

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
- Double clicking on tabs bounces back and forth from the two most previous tabs. A key command does it as well. This is a KEY feature needed in OmniWeb.
"Two most previous"?? Maybe you mean two most recent... But I'm not sure what you mean about double-clicking on "tabs" -surely you can only double click a single tab at a time, and if you can switch to any tab at all in a single click (or two, if you have to scroll), why should double-clicking on one of them switch to the most recent?

I just don't get it...

- A quick preferences menu (or sub menu)
Again, what? Where you'd set what preferences? Menu where? or sub-menu of what? OW's already got the site-preference button which pops up that split-screen of per-site preferences.

Again, I don't get it...
cpac

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Speed. God is Opera for W32 FAST! It is faster than anything I have ever seen. I am sure it is very cached, but still, it very fast.
If the cache for OmniWeb 5 worked correctly, I think it'd help it out a great deal. It's pretty weird and wacky the way it is.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:57 PM

You know, one of the things that rocks my socks about OmniWeb is that if the app crashes e.g. right now as I am inputting this post, when I re-launch it, all this text that I have already typed (more often than not) is restored to the input field. Is there any other browser that does this?
What, crashes?

It's a good feature, that's for certain. Stability is also nice too. (not that I've had a problem with OW stability).

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 02:27 PM

Could you guys check this for me.

Can anyone see the video all the way to the right-hand side of this page?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

The ESPN Motion feature doesnt work at all for me. When I click on one of the video links nothing happens. When I try to enlarge the video, nothing happens. I want to see if its something with my version of OW or if this just doesnt work at all in OW.

Thanks.
i hate project managers.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
The ESPN Motion feature doesnt work at all for me. When I click on one of the video links nothing happens. When I try to enlarge the video, nothing happens. I want to see if its something with my version of OW or if this just doesnt work at all in OW.
Everything worked fine for me, played clips, cleared the playlist and double sized it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 07:02 AM

Could you guys check this for me.

Can anyone see the video all the way to the right-hand side of this page?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Thanks.
Try resetting OW to its default status by temporarily removing the Application Support/OmniWeb 5 folder and preferences to your desktop. I don't know what it is I am looking for, but when I click the Motion option the page loads fine and I could view the videos etc.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Try resetting OW to its default status by temporarily removing the Application Support/OmniWeb 5 folder and preferences to your desktop. I don't know what it is I am looking for, but when I click the Motion option the page loads fine and I could view the videos etc.
Im not talking about the Motion page it self. That works fine.

Im talking about the video clips on the main page of the MLB site. All the way to the right you will see the video with links under it. I need to know if that works.
i hate project managers.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 10:04 AM

Im not talking about the Motion page it self. That works fine.

Im talking about the video clips on the main page of the MLB site. All the way to the right you will see the video with links under it. I need to know if that works.
Nope it doesn't, but I can tell from when the page is loading that one of my ad blocking prefs is stopping it from loading.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 10:09 AM

Nope it doesn't, but I can tell from when the page is loading that one of my ad blocking prefs is stopping it from loading.
Wait so it isnt working?

I just got your email that said it worked.
i hate project managers.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 10:32 AM

You mean on the OmniWeb mailing list? I thought it might have been yourself there as well... a bit too much of a coincidence for the same question to be asked in the same way...

Anyway, I had the same misunderstanding there as I did here - I thought you meant the movie page, not the thing at the side of the index window. But it isn't working for me because of my ad blocking preferences (it may not work even without my ad blocking preferences, but - while the index page is loading I can see a placeholder for the movie window which is greened out like ads are when they are blocked. For some reason that place holder disappears once the page has completed loading.

Edit:

Using site specific preferences to deactivate my ad blocking for ESPN.com, I am able to see the movie thingy, but it is very buggy:

I can't enlarge it or select any of the links etc, and it keeps on disappearing if I mouse over it.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 04:29 PM

Yup thats what Im talking about. I get the same exact results.

I wonder what could it be. Could any Omni dudes chime in?
i hate project managers.

aged
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 09:51 AM

Yes, I have seen this. It's been so sporadic that I first thought it was just bad mouse driving on the laptop (happens when other fingers are near the keyboard).

Originally posted by nebben123:
I have run into a bug in OW that has been there at least since 5.0 betas.

So far, I can't figure out a way to repeat it for sure, but it happens a lot.

After visiting several sites so that my History menu is populated with at least the 15 most recent sites visited, and I select to go back to one of those sites through the History menu, OW frequently does not load the site that I selected and loads the site either above or below in the list....
Ben

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 03:55 PM

Hello? Anyone? OmniGuys?

BZ

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hello? Anyone?

Whither my favorite browser?

You guys just in shock over the election?

What?

BZ

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Hello? Anyone?

Whither my favorite browser?

You guys just in shock over the election?

What?

BZ
Don't even get me started about the election...

We're still around, busy as usual. Your comments and suggestions (as well as everyone else's) are very much appreciated. This thread has gotten quite long and off-topic; what specifically would you like me to address?
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:

We're still around, busy as usual. Your comments and suggestions (as well as everyone else's) are very much appreciated. This thread has gotten quite long and off-topic; what specifically would you like me to address?
Well...

1) Are we getting close to a 5.1 final?

2) What is in the pipeline for 5.2/5.3/5.4/5.5?

3) Any updates to the other apps coming along?

Basically, what is going on in the OmniWorld? Us OmniGruppies need more info!

BZ

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 10:46 PM

more specifically:

Whither the Omniweb theme changing app?
cpac

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Well...

1) Are we getting close to a 5.1 final?
Yes.

2) What is in the pipeline for 5.2/5.3/5.4/5.5?

Our "pipeline" doesn't reach that far, yet. We'll see where OmniWeb goes once we get a feel for how people like 5.0 and 5.1.

There will most likely be 5.1.1 and 5.1.2 releases for bug fixes and possibly localizations.

3) Any updates to the other apps coming along?

Yes.

Basically, what is going on in the OmniWorld? Us OmniGruppies need more info!

We're hard at work on our existing products' next versions. We've also started on a couple of new apps, but I can't say what they are or when they'll be out. Let the speculation begin! (In another thread )
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

You probably already know this, but the RealPlayer plugin chokes when used within OmniWeb 5.0.1 or 5.1 Beta 3 (dropped frames, video pauses, etc.). RealPlayer works fine under Safari and Firefox though.

OmniWeb is great though. I used Firefox 1.0 most of last week and all weekend just to try it out. Firefox is a good browser and seems faster at rendering on my PowerBook 1GHz, but I like OmniWeb much better. Keep up the good work.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:

We're still around, busy as usual. Your comments and suggestions (as well as everyone else's) are very much appreciated. what specifically would you like me to address?
1. Why aren't the betas of 5.1 being released more frequently?
2. Is development of 5.1 behind schedule? I seem to remember that it was due for the end of October.
3. When do you hope to release 5.1?

And most importantly. John Gruber predicted that OmniWeb would never be able to keep up with Apple's development of WebKit/WebCore? Isn't he right?

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
1. Why aren't the betas of 5.1 being released more frequently?
2. Is development of 5.1 behind schedule? I seem to remember that it was due for the end of October.
3. When do you hope to release 5.1?

And most importantly. John Gruber predicted that OmniWeb would never be able to keep up with Apple's development of WebKit/WebCore? Isn't he right?
1. The public betas aren't, but that doesn't mean that the non-public ones are not being developed and released. Also, you should take it as an indication that the next version released will be pretty much it - its fairly consistent of OG to slow releases the closer they get to final.

John Gruber is probably wrong and possibly right - who is to say that OG are only working on integrating the latest public WebCore? There are other issues with the current iteration of the browser that need work, such as its speed/cache for example. Once OG get the feature set and other OmniWeb specific issues nailed, all they'll have to do is concentrate on integrating WebCore... at least until version 6. Remember, OW 5 wasn't simply an upgrade to the rendering engine.

FWIW, it isn't as though Apple are zipping out major new versions of WebCore every month either. The next big one is probably going to be version 1.3 for Panther and 2.0 for Tiger, sometime next year.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 09:49 AM

John Gruber is probably wrong and possibly right - who is to say that OG are only working on integrating the latest public WebCore? There are other issues with the current iteration of the browser that need work, such as its speed/cache for example.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the cache won't be fixed in 5.1.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 10:50 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the cache won't be fixed in 5.1.
Perhaps, perhaps not, but that doesn't mean that OG aren't working on it for 5.1.1/5.2.

Ken at Omni
Nov 18, 2004, 10:51 PM

The biggest change for 5.1 beta 4 (now available) is improved cache behavior.

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
The biggest change for 5.1 beta 4 (now available) is improved cache behavior.
And it sure does work much better. OW feels much snappier. Also the memory leaks seem to be gone. OW actually release the memory when you close a tab. Awesome!

You guys rule!
i hate project managers.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 06:49 AM

http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/

I know it is mentioned above, but with now link!

OmniWeb 5.1 BETA 4 is AVAILABLE!

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/

BZ

doublep
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 08:21 AM

The new beta is effectively quicker when browsing history (PB G4 1,3 Ghz 1,256 Mo RAM). Good work OmniGroup!

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 11:09 AM

It is getting better.
Still quite unstable and buggy IMO......... Not worth the 30 USD, yet.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
Still quite unstable and buggy
really? I'd try deleting all the various support folders (history bookmarks cache preferences, etc.) and seeing if that doesn't clear things up.

I haven't had OW crash in a while...
cpac

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 12:05 PM

OmniWeb still refuse to work with GMail, which makes it utter crap in my eyes.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by brutal:
Um - all the betas of 5.1 have worked with gmail...
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
really? I'd try deleting all the various support folders (history bookmarks cache preferences, etc.) and seeing if that doesn't clear things up.

I haven't had OW crash in a while...
Me neither. Runs like a champ.
i hate project managers.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

Runs like a champ.
Actually, it runs like a medal-winning champ.
Excellent work, Omni-dudes!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

tswd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:37 PM

Me neither. Runs like a champ.
I must agree. Much better than beta 3. Noticeably, it manages heavily
crowded lines in smooth manner. Thanks for your job Omni!

--- tswd

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

Runs like a champ.
Fairly snappy. About as fast as Safari and a bit slower than Firefox.
Makes me wonder why 5.0 was so slow....

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Um - all the betas of 5.1 have worked with gmail...
Here is what GMail looks like here in Omniweb 5.1 Beta 4:

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 12:58 PM

Here is what GMail looks like here in Omniweb 5.1 Beta 4:

so art nouveau and existential:

All e-mail is everything, which is nothing, which is Loading.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 01:03 PM

I just logged into my Gmail account using the latest Beta, everything works fine.

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by yskar:
Fairly snappy. About as fast as Safari and a bit slower than Firefox.
Makes me wonder why 5.0 was so slow....
The cache. They greatly improved the cache in Beta 4.
i hate project managers.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 01:13 PM

I just logged into my gmail account with 5.1 b4 as well... no problems at all.
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 01:39 PM

Definitely a nice speed improvement. Barring unforeseen difficulties, Omniweb is now my default browser (at least until Safari 2 comes out)

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 02:02 PM

I just noticed this... but I'm sure OW experts already know it...

But I love love LOVE the fact that you can click and hold on a link and the context menu appears w/o the need for any keyboard intervention
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 02:33 PM

How does one block flash ads that pollute the web pages? If I right click on it (hoping to get the address of the flash ad origin) - all I get is the options for the flash macromedia.

Any idea's?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
How does one block flash ads that pollute the web pages? If I right click on it (hoping to get the address of the flash ad origin) - all I get is the options for the flash macromedia.

Any idea's?

Add this to your blocked URL list.

/.*\.swf

This will block all flash content, even flash sites.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:

Any idea's?
first, drop the apostrophe.

second - while I'm sure OmniGroup is working on a better solution, many people find that one or both of the following fix the problem:

(1) block all .swf content, and then white-list those sites you use that rely on flash

and/or

(2) find a non-flash ad on a site, and block it. Edit the string to be more generic (so it blocks the relevant ad server) and sometimes that will take care of the flash ads.
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 03:46 PM

(2) find a non-flash ad on a site, and block it. Edit the string to be more generic (so it blocks the relevant ad server) and sometimes that will take care of the flash ads. [/B]
I havent had the ever work for me. Ive tried but for some reason if I figure out the generic ad server, the ads still come thru. ESPN is a perfect example. I block the ad server but the flash units still come thru. I even dug deep into the source and pulled out the ad server for the flash and it still doesnt block it.

What OW needs is something like ADBLOCK in Firefox where you can block anything with just a clock of the tab.
i hate project managers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules