Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A new browser poll...

View Poll Results: What is your favorite browser with the latest releases?
Poll Options:
Safari 2.03 19 votes (63.33%)
Firefox 1.5 3 votes (10.00%)
Opera 9.0 1 votes (3.33%)
Shiira 1.22 4 votes (13.33%)
Camino 1.01 5 votes (16.67%)
Omniweb 5.13 3 votes (10.00%)
Other obscure one?One I forgot? 0 votes (0%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll
A new browser poll...
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2006, 10:03 PM

I have been trying to like Omniweb, as I won a licence in a contest, but with Opera 9 and firefox 1.5 out, it just seems so damn slow...With the speed of browsers not being as an issue as it used to be for me(as most browsers are pretty fast), RSS support is more important to me. I tend to float between all the major players, Safari 2.0,Shiira 1.22,Opera 9 beta, Firefox 1.5, but am undecided. I like Safari for RSS, Opera and Firefox for customizing appearance, Safari and Shiira for Private browsing etc... I never got into Camino, but could get convinced maybe. Lets see how this turns out...
My Blog-pakos.me

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 01:26 AM

Don't we have one of these every week?

Actually I wasn't aware of Opera 9... guess it's in beta 2 currently. I think Opera is doing some pretty cool stuff. They've got their browser (Opera Mini) on Java-capable cell phones and it's soon to appear on Nintendo's DS and Wii. But their PC desktop version, while fast, doesn't have a very good interface.

I ultimately prefer Safari because of it's features (RSS and all the various keyboard shortcuts and contextual menus and stuff, a huge list of small but important details) and interface, plus it always renders things the nicest.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

JKT
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski
I have been trying to like Omniweb, as I won a licence in a contest, but with Opera 9 and firefox 1.5 out, it just seems so damn slow...With the speed of browsers not being as an issue as it used to be for me(as most browsers are pretty fast), RSS support is more important to me. I tend to float between all the major players, Safari 2.0,Shiira 1.22,Opera 9 beta, Firefox 1.5, but am undecided. I like Safari for RSS, Opera and Firefox for customizing appearance, Safari and Shiira for Private browsing etc... I never got into Camino, but could get convinced maybe. Lets see how this turns out...
If you are going to include betas (e.g. Opera 9) there is a public sneaky peek programme for OmniWeb 5.5 which is using a newer version of WebKit than Safari at the moment - speed is greatly improved.

Safari and Camino are just too Noddy for my liking, Opera has nice ideas but a weird, weird UI that I just can't get used to and FireFox just does not feel like a Mac application to me (though I am able to use it at work on a PC, thankfully). Shiira I haven't tried in a while, and the "minor" browsers have been off the radar ever since OS X 10.0 for me (i.e. iCab). In other words, OmniWeb is still the best in my book.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 03:44 AM

I'm using OmniWeb 5.5 Public Sneaky Peek and speed has been greatly improved. To each his own, but I've been using OW for a few weeks and really enjoy it.

Wevah
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 04:37 AM

I still use Camino; I'm still biased.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 02:04 PM

On my Dock, Safari 2.0.3 (417.9.3), Flock 0.5.15, and OmniWeb 5.5 sneaky peek 11.

I also use Camino 1.0.1 + CamiTools.

Opera Mini on my Nokia 6682.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2006, 02:11 PM

I'm using Firefox 2.0 Alpha (Bon Echo) and love it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 02:29 PM

Camino, mostly. I use Safari if I know I'm going to be viewing a lot of online PDFs.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

DeputyDoofy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 05:44 PM

I used OmniWeb for a short while, but the constant crashes and slow loading of pages was all too much. Anyway I tried the Sneaky Peak and I agree that it has improved ten fold with them switching to WebKit. I suggest you all to give it a try.

Anyway other than OmniWeb, I actually am quite fond of Shiira, it is the closest thing to Safari, maintaining a similar lightweight interface, yet it is a lot faster in my experience.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 06:02 PM

Ever since the OmniWeb 5.5 sneakypeeks, that's been my sole browser. I love it.

If it was a choice, I'd vote for it.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Forum Links
Forum Rules