Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT lockups w/ Soundsticks

UT lockups w/ Soundsticks
Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jul 16, 2001, 10:27 PM

Okay, my friend and I who have identical G4 533 setups have been having this problem, and it's driving us nuts:

If we load up UT and enter a game, the game locks up completely if our Soundsticks are plugged in. If we unplug them and then load up the game, it runs just fine, and we have to suffer through using the G4's panel speaker. We're both running OS 9.1.

Any suggestions?
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 08:21 AM

Don'tcha just LOVE USB audio?

Have you tried loading the game, plugging them in, then playing?

Spirit_VW  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2001, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Don'tcha just LOVE USB audio?

Have you tried loading the game, plugging them in, then playing?</STRONG>
We tried something similar - uplugging them, loading up UT and entering a game, then plugging them in. However, the sound kept playing from the G4's front speaker, as though UT was preventing the OS from seeing the Soundsticks. Haven't tried plugging them back in and *then* entering a map.

I'm starting to wonder if this is extension related - as in, perhaps the Apple Audio extension or one of the USB extensions that comes with 9.1 is causing this bug? Thought maybe downgrading to ones from 9.0.4 or going to the newer ones coming on new iBooks and such might fix it, but I haven't found them anywhere.

It just seems odd - surely, SOMEWHERE, somebody has a G4 533 sp w/ Soundsticks who has this problem. It can't just be our two machines. The Soundsticks seem to work fine otherwise in 9.1 and also problem-free in 10.0.4.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Forum Links
Forum Rules