Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 69)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 02:37 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2013, 04:41 PM

Any chance of getting Thaumcraft added in? I know I'd have to find a new chunk to make use of anything new.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 13, 2013, 02:07 PM

I did some basic research but haven't had the time to really dig in yet. Can you give me the clif-fnotes version of Thaumcraft? Curious what it brings to the table...

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2013, 02:30 PM

It's more like alchemy than magic. Instead of 4 elements though there are 16 I think. Then you need to break objects down for the elements you need then draw power from the ambient aura. The aura is non renewable. Adding / removing from the aura crates flux which causes bad things to happen. It also adds a bunch of structures to world gen.

Its allot different that the world eating purple goo from the previous version.

If we're going to end up using so may mods It would be easier to just go with direwolf20s pack. It has almost everything you could ever want in it and we won't have to keep it updated.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If we're going to end up using so may mods It would be easier to just go with direwolf20s pack. It has almost everything you could ever want in it and we won't have to keep it updated.
Skimming quickly that all looks gravy. Modular Powersuits, Thaumcraft 3, and a whole heap of stuff I've never heard of.

I see EE3, but there's very little information about it, I assume it's pretty bare at the moment.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2013, 04:05 PM

The advantage is, he makes his money off of a minecraft lets play so he has long term interest in his viewers being able to do the same stuff he is. The techic guys have no such interest. He's also friends with and runs a SMP series on a server were the main modders test. So there allot less risk of mod removal. So the FTB launcher would have to die. vs just the tekkit classic mod pack.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2013, 09:20 AM

Dear Lord, there are a lot of mods in that package! With enough planning, you could automate the apocalypse....

OK, forget I said anything. Noting to see here, move along now... (backs away slowly, looks for a mountain to hide in)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 10:10 AM

Now I'm inspired, I wonder if self replicating turtles are now possible, they have crafting turtles now...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2013, 10:23 AM

So, does a turtle mining at the bottom of a lake constitute "turtle soup", or does there need to be lava involved first?

Seriously, I read about the crafting turtles. I have this vision of a turtle factory with an assembly line of sword wielding turtles 'marching' off to conquer. Think of a legion leaving the walls of Rome marching off to do battle against the barbarian zombies...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 02:31 PM

I envision a circle of mining turtles marching out in a elephant sized version of the nanite grey goo scenario.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 03:08 PM

I guess my next question is...

Will our world transfer over without much fuss, or are we going to go the route of copying our main buildings to a whole new world like we did at the start of the Tekkit server?

I only ask because the only structure besides my factory I'd be heartbroken to lose is my nuclear reactor complex.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2013, 04:18 PM

Interesting question. My take on it:
That mod pack has so many things 'new' in it, to really take advantage of it we'd all need to move into a newly formed chunk to really start to play around. As such, would it be better off to either 'move' structures or start over?

(For me, starting over is no hardship, then again I like the hermit in the mountains approach. I've been on the Vanilla server quite a bit lately)

Speaking of Vanilla: 1.5 dropped. Should the vanilla server magically upgrade, please post so I know to upgrade as well

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2013, 04:30 PM

If I ventured out to your rail, would I be able to find your distant hideout cyclopse?

I only have my castle in tekkit, but I like my castle. I may even finish it someday. (next: a roof)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't mind just carrying over my Factory into a whole new world, but I'd like to know ahead of time so I can disassemble my reactor and store it.

Starting over fresh is not an option for me, the idea of rebuilding all my machinery, especially those HV arrays, is a terrible thought.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2013, 05:25 PM

Directions to my secret "Way out there" hideaway:
1- head out on the spawn rail until you hit my "halfway-house" stop. Go up the stairs until you find the Portal.
2- enter portal. Look for stairs down to rail line.
3- take nether rail for a rather loooong time. There is one transfer point in the middle.
4- at end of rail line, head up to portal.
5- welcome to my far-away land

All in all, that far away land is roughly 10km from "civilization". Just heading out there to look around, or looking for a new place to settle?

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 06:07 PM

It should be possible to convert over without loosing most things. Structurally there aren't any problems. Teleport pipes are a problem. Though they're even buggy now. You can't use them without a chunk loader at both ends.

Besides EE2, stuff the nuclear reactors won't convert well, they changed the math and stuff so it will probably explode. Breaking it down is no real hardship. Most people don't build very many. For anything that doesn't convert nicely I have no moral issues about cheating it in.

I'm going to check the after action reports on 1.5 and if there okay I'll update vanilla tonight. You'll know 'cus you can't connect. (You are backing up your previous client versions right?)

As for making any progress on updating the tekkit server I don't know. It's all about building an item/block ID swap list.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2013, 06:08 PM

Bored with the village, not sure what to do next. May find a nice place to put my lighthouse... is it snowy out there?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2013, 08:00 PM

Snowy? Possibly close by. Haven't explored real far. Extreme hills, so plenty of emeralds to mine. Decent sized village for trading. Desert, some grasslands. Plenty of elbow room. Haven't found snow looking around, nor have I found jungle. lots of extreme hills, big desert, plenty of resources.
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Mar 14, 2013 at 08:33 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 08:48 PM

As for making any progress on updating the tekkit server I don't know. It's all about building an item/block ID swap list.
I can do as much leg work as is needed, but I literally have no idea what that would entail. I can make a running tally of anything you need Blaze, but I'm going to need a little direction.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 09:36 PM

Some instructions for the curious

Guide - How to convert Tekkit Classic world to Tekkit lite ! | Technic Forums

Looks like we'll see 1.5.1 next week. Since the biggest changes are redstone related I think you guys can wait.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 11:41 PM

Well to simplify things I'll move all resources into the Factory, and wall off the lower bits with all my tubes and whatnot, that way just the factory can be copied over if need be.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 02:13 PM

Well I've been watching DireWolf's latest SMP video series and, good lord, theres a lot of stuff going on.

I think what would be best is just copying over our bases into a newly generated world. If I could get the world file for our current tekkit server I can look into what is needed to copy it to a new world so when the time comes I should have hopefully done the annoying work for Blaze.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 05:43 PM

So I've downloaded the FTB launcher, which actually has both the Yogpack and DireWolf Pack available to play without any fuss. Blaze has linked me the tekkit map download and I'm going to try and generate a new map, plonk my factory somewhere and see what happens.

If I can get it to work smooth and I get Blaze's blessing then we can always use whatever map I generate as the new FTB server. Based on how easy it is to transfer my base I can transfer other's as well if they are interested.

Edit: Getting lots of random crashes without much rhyme or reason to them. Going to have to do some reading up.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 17, 2013 at 08:19 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2013, 09:28 PM

Search Topic: Item id conflicts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 09:31 PM

I haven't gotten that far yet, just screwing around in the FTB Direwolf Mod Pack, and after about 10 minutes it starts locking up and then crashes.

Dunno if it's my aging machine, a Java conflict, or something else entirely...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2013, 10:46 PM

That's good I can't even get it to launch minecraft.

Why is it that noone supports java 1.7 on the Mac?
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 11:05 PM

Yeah Java 1.7 is the number one fix when someone says they are getting a crash on startup, I still have 1.6 here on SL.

NEI lagged my machine something fierce, so I disabled it. Still, after a half hour or so of mining and whatnot I start getting very long hangs, and eventually the client crashes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 05:14 PM

Just to see how much of an uphill battle copying over the factory would be I tried just selecting the area in MCEdit and importing it straight into my FTB world.

Mostly everything that wasn't stone slabs or brick was turned into varieties of jungle wood stairs and what have you. None of the chests copied over and hilariously my secondary storage room was converted into a pile of fresh potatoes.

I feel I'm in over my head here...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2013, 05:26 PM

MCEdit just copies the raw block ids.

Each mod pack is going to have a different set of id's for things. Some, like redpower, aren't set until the first time the world is loaded. That link I posted was for changing all the ids. If you wan't to save anything but the raw vanilla blocks then you may as well just save the whole map.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 09:52 PM

At this point I'm just going to go with the flow, if that flow is start a new world from scratch so be it.

After hours of google-fu I found a thread with a person having a similar problem with FTB lagging and then crashing. The forum denizens suggested adding this bit of code

Code:
"-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
into the advanced options for Java in the FTB launcher and so far it appears to have worked.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: no spaces in that java snippet. Also, for anyone else wondering, no quote marks.)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2013, 10:46 PM

So you can't check something for me. Every time is starts lagging really bad I see 16EB in the VirtualMemory column in ActivityMonitor

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 PM

EB? ExoBytes?

Another several hours later and it is still running smooth, guess that fixed it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 19, 2013, 12:21 PM

OK, going to throw this out there:

Now that I've recently upgraded the internet at my house (goodbye DSL, hello FIOS) I have begun to re-purpose an old workstation into a server. Since it's main purpose in life will be a FTP server and to test out things I'd rather not break at work, I've considered setting up a Minecraft server on it. I'd be willing to install the DireWolf pack on it using a clean map. The machine specs and home bandwidth should handle about 10 simultaneous users without issue, even given the load increase of all the mod packages. I'd rather not get into the hassle of migrating existing words/structures if we use a loaded mod like DireWolf's just because we'll need to range out and get new chunks to really leverage the MODs.

I should have the server up and testing by this weekend.

Would this interest anyone?

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 01:48 PM

I'm down, in fact I'd like to offer up my single player map as the one we should use for our server. Partly because the spawn is in the clouds in a huge Redwood forest overlooking a glacier and about 5 other biomes, but also because I'm already getting a little base going and would hate having to start it over.

For the beginning I think we should do a lot of collaboration. Without EE we are going to run through materials really quick, and I think a few of us working together should make the first few weeks more manageable. I have a slew of Buildcraft3 machines up and running and a nice Thaumcraft area that we all could make use of.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 01:56 PM

FInally downloaded the tekkit world last night. Thanks, blaze.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm down, in fact I'd like to offer up my single player map as the one we should use for our server. Partly because the spawn is in the clouds in a huge Redwood forest overlooking a glacier and about 5 other biomes, but also because I'm already getting a little base going and would hate having to start it over.
This sounds familiar. (Tekkit rebirth!)

J sadly have to conclude my interest in Minecraft is at an end. Ever since yogcast finished their Tekkit build at the beginning of the year, I've pretty much stopped watching any Minecraft related videos.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 02:12 PM

I was like that until becoming interested in Thaumcraft, not to mention the variety of Biomes that these mods bring to the table.

Thaumcraft is a very complicated, and very dense, mod but it is done so damn well in both the balancing area, the artwork, and the overall idea that I just have to check it out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 02:14 PM

Is anyone in Yogscast covering it?

Oh, and I lied, I did watch a little bit of Voltz this year. (Red Matter bomb = death)

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2013, 02:23 PM

Duncan is doing some Thaumcraft/magic stuff in the new pack. Sjin is doing farming. I like their videos, Sjin does a good job of fastforwarding/editing through boring bits.

Simon and Lewis have restarted the tekkit world as a direpack world I believe. all the pipes turned to sand.

Any new world I would like to take part in, and I like the co-op aspect. Build something in common first before spreading out, and not spreading out so far that it's hard to visit. Although Portals look nifty for easy travel.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 19, 2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Sips is not Sjin.)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Any new world I would like to take part in, and I like the co-op aspect. Build something in common first before spreading out, and not spreading out so far that it's hard to visit. Although Portals look nifty for easy travel.
MystCraft books and ages are going to be awesome for long-range travel once we get there.

Like I touched on above, all my machines and items can be easily moved to a bigger community building if needed. That way we can each have our own area to craft and store our own stuff, but can make use of a common room of machines and extra storage.

Speaking of extra storage, barrels are the bees knees! Also, you can raise and breed bees!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 02:55 PM

Duncan is doing some Thaumcraft/magic stuff in the new pack.
Yeah I think I saw two eps. There was a long gap between the first and second from what I assume was a lack of enthusiasm (from viewers).

I like their videos, sips does a good job of fastforwarding/editing through boring bits.
Sips is great. He killed me because he noticed his SimCity budget was bringing in $666 and just seamlessly mentioned how his town worshiped the dark lord, etc.

Simon and Lewis have restarted the tekkit world as a direpack world I believe. all the pipes turned to sand.
Yeah, my curiosity hasn't gotten the better of me yet, but I'm interested in it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sips is great. He killed me because he noticed his SimCity budget was bringing in $666 and just seamlessly mentioned how his town worshiped the dark lord, etc.
Yeah, at first when I started watching Yogscast I thought Sips was kind of annoying. After many videos I find his little quips absolutely hilarious, also he has a much more foul mouth than the rest of the guys. I, too, got a good chuckle at his seamless devil worship joke when he realized his 666 budget.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 03:23 PM

Sips took some time to grow on me as well, mostly because of his penchant for using phrases far too often ("straight away" in the Orcs Must Die and Atom Zombie Smasher). His accent is a bit odd.

Still, best video intro sound ever.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 03:24 PM

Pic of my current setup. Most of my effort was devoted to making the red cube above the machines which is a Redstone Power Cell. It stores Buildcraft MJ so I don't need to run my 6 Steam Engines to power my machines all the time.

Barrels make crafting much easier, since you can take one resource at a time out of the barrel, or a whole stack at a time. Not to mention you can easily see the materials without opening any chests. Another bonus is once a barrel has a certain material inside it won't accept any other type of material, which makes very large sorting systems much less complicated. My next step will be making Fabricators, and if you don't know how they work I suggest you look at a video or two about them. Extremely powerful, and expandable, auto-crafting machines.

Edit: Also, the cool thing about BC3 machines is that they can send and receive items directly from other BC3 machines from a multitude of sides via a very cool configuration pane when you click on the machine.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 19, 2013 at 03:52 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2013, 04:06 PM

I've updated my ore processing block using the new sorter mode and the Router. The router is also very good for filling barrels once it gets a few upgrades.

If you use one of the gates made in the assembly table to can detect the energy level in the cube to turn the motors on.

Mystcraft will be very dangerous when in SMP. Combined with chuck loaders and Mystcraft portals it has the potential to use huge amounts of memory.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 04:10 PM

If you use one of the gates made in the assembly table to can detect the energy level in the cube to turn the motors on.
Yeah I am very interested in those gates that Direwolf always uses.

Mystcraft will be very dangerous when in SMP. Combined with chuck loaders and Mystcraft portals it has the potential to use huge amounts of memory.
I guess we can keep the actual portals and ages to a minimum then. Ans also limit one chunk loader per person?

Any luck with the FTB launcher Blaze?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 19, 2013, 04:11 PM

Just out of curiosity here, how 'dangerous' are we talking about? Right now the box will have 4 gigs in it, with about 3 available for minecraft purposes. By next week, it will be up to 8 gig with 5-6 available to minecraft.

Will that be enough?
(not really worried about the processors. It's AMD based and older, but for the number of users we have it should be more than sufficient)

(HD space is not an issue. The boot drive and data drive will be striped for capacity/speed with a local backup)

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 05:24 PM

Well let me know if you're okay with using my map cyclopse and I can get it to you somehow (dropbox perhaps??) asap.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2013, 09:34 AM

If its a full reset then he may as well just start a new map.

Forcing java 1.6 and you're tweak fixed it. As a software engineer I'm appalled it was necessary. (like the spellchecker just suggested unnecessary even though all I did was use an s instead of a c.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 12:42 PM

I'm going to request cheating in some stuff at the start then, getting everything together to make those Redstone Energy Cells took alot of effort. Not to mention the slow process of Thaumcraft research would have to be started over with a new map...
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 20, 2013 at 01:00 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 20, 2013, 01:09 PM

(the bad new: at home sick, no voice, and somewhat foggy from the cold medicine. The god news? Making early progress on the server)

OK, my thoughts on all this:
1- this isn't replacing any of Blaze's servers. If he ditched the vanilla server I'd probably cry.
2- I am inclined to do a full restart rather than use a new map. no offense sek
3- love the idea of this being a pretty serious 'cooperative' server, so we're going to need a plan and an architect for starting out.
4- I hate not being challenged, so once we have a safe haven established I'd like to crank the difficulty up to keep things interesting.
5- regarding 'cheating in some stuff' would you care to throw some ideas out there?

The way I see it, keeping the difficulty to normal or easy while we build a home base and get organized is a must. Not sure what all the new critters are (honestly haven't looked much because I want to be surprised) but the sheer volume of mods should be nice. Regarding cheating, I can see us populating certain hard to obtain items so we don't get frustrated or bored, but at the same time if all of us are working as a team it's not going to be hard to gather resources.

The real question is, what do we want our little minecraft world to look like? A sprawling city, a giant skyscraper, something in-between? If it's going to be co-op, we'll need a plan we all like and basic rules we all agree to. example, I'm putting out there right now that any high speed rail lines made need to be two-way safe. Meaning, they either need two separate lines for out-back OR collision detection.

Other thoughts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules