Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buying iPod q

Buying iPod q
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 03:50 PM

i am getting the neccessary money to buy an iPod on Monday... however, I don't want to wait an additional 3-5 days (current shipping est) for it to just get out the doors... does apple charge the card immediately, or does it charge when it ships? Thanks!

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 03:53 PM

I don't have any sort of proof, but I've heard (read) that a merchant is not allowed to charge your card until the product ships. I think they can check your card to see if the funds are there at the time the order is placed, though

derekn
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 03:57 PM

Usually when it ships they will then charge your card. I think it's a law in the US actually, they can't charge until the product is shipped to you.

Have fun with it, it's a GREAT little gadget.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 04:12 PM

ok... placed my order... but DAMn...freaking tax... OW 45$! oh well... sucks to live in fla

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

coolmac
May 3, 2003, 04:24 PM

You live in Florida and paid $45 tax?
Even if you bought the 30gig at $499 the tax should have been $29.94, isn't the salestax 6% in Fla?

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 04:42 PM

7%...

Subtotal 508.95 (education=469$ + 39.95$ for belkin auto charger)
shipping=9$
Estimated Tax=38.17$
Estimated Total=556.12$

let me know if thats crazy

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 06:44 PM

Cool man, you went for the big boy!

Go here:

http://www2.warehouse.com/product.as...&cat=pc&blind=

They have them in stock, ready to ship. No tax. Get overnight shipping for $12, and have it in your hands Tuesday morning! There is no penalty for cancelling your order with apple.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 07:13 PM

the mac god, where about in florida do you live? i am also in florida and i got hit with taxes. a big thing to get used to after living in countries with VAT.

to answer your question, my credit card only got charged when it got shipped.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 07:41 PM

hmm... i live in pensacola... or Florabama as the locals like to call it... Anyway, it looks like they tried to charge my cards becuase I recived an email that said they could finish processing due to my card being rejected... oh well... just have to resend the order on monday when I get the money!

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
7%...

Subtotal 508.95 (education=469$ + 39.95$ for belkin auto charger)
shipping=9$
Estimated Tax=38.17$
Estimated Total=556.12$

let me know if thats crazy

It says on Apple's page that shipping for the iPod is free. I would be complaning if they will not ship the belkin charger for free.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
hmm... i live in pensacola... or Florabama as the locals like to call it... Anyway, it looks like they tried to charge my cards becuase I recived an email that said they could finish processing due to my card being rejected... oh well... just have to resend the order on monday when I get the money!

What takes place is this. When you placed your order for the iPod, Apple placed a "hold" on the amount of the item. They do not actually "charge' the card until it is shipped.

At least that is my understanding.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 10:59 PM

ah sah... iguess that makes sense... oh well... still dying to get one...

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 06:25 PM

Why does it matter when they charge your card? Doesn't it take up to a month for your credit card bill to arrive anyway? I'm just asking to try to understand your situation better.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2003, 06:36 PM

i do everything electronically... Plus... it's a checkcard not a real credit card... but a checkcard with MC capabilities... so I have to have the money for it to work...

Forum Links
Forum Rules