Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Matriarch of In-N-Out Burger Dies at 86

Matriarch of In-N-Out Burger Dies at 86
mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 04:20 AM

In-N-Out restaurant in Pinole, California.
Note that this particular restaurant
has one drive-through lane and
an indoor dining area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger

Matriarch of In-N-Out Burger Dies at 86

IRVINE, Calif. Aug 6, 2006 (AP)— Esther L. Snyder, who with her husband founded the iconic West Coast restaurant chain In-N-Out Burger, died Friday. She was 86.

The family declined to release further details including the cause of death, said Bob Emmers of Sitrick and Company, which handles public relations for the chain.

Esther and Harry Snyder opened the first In-N-Out drive-through stand in Baldwin Park in 1948. In-N-Out now has 202 restaurants in California, Arizona and Nevada.

The Snyders' business plan was simple: Serve fresh burgers in a "two-way speaker" drive-through concept. While her husband ran the day-to-day operations, Snyder was in charge of the books and occasionally helped out in the kitchen by molding meat patties by hand and slicing tomatoes and onions.

"Mrs. Snyder showed us all how to be a great leader and businessperson," said Mark Taylor, In-N-Out vice president of operations, who will succeed Snyder as president. "She expected hard work from associates and in return she believed in rewarding them well and treating them as members of one family."

Snyder grew up in Sorento, Ill., and graduated from Seattle Pacific University with a zoology degree in 1947. She met her future husband while working as a manager in a Seattle restaurant.

The couple had two children, Guy and Rich, who ran the company at different times. When Harry Snyder died in 1976, Rich Snyder took charge of the burger chain. After Rich Snyder died in a 1993 plane crash, Guy Snyder led the company with his mother until his death six years later of an accidental drug overdose.

Snyder was reported to be in poor health according to a January lawsuit that accused Snyder's granddaughter of attempting to engineer a coup to force her out.

In-N-Out attorney Arnold Wensinger said the suit contained inaccuracies. It was settled in May, but the terms were not disclosed.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=2278852

The Hidden In-N-Out Burger (aka In and Out Burger) - The Most Accurate Secret Menu

In-N-Out Burger has a secret unpublished menu for insiders who are In-The-Know. Next time you're at In-N-Out (i.e. tomorrow . . . or maybe tonight), order a bag of these off-the-menu specials:

"3-by-3" = three meat patties and three slices of cheese.

"4-by-4" = four meat patties and four slices of cheese.

"2-by-4" = two meat patties and four slices of cheese.

*Note: You can get a burger with as many meat patties or cheese slices as you want. Just tell the In-N-Out Burger cashier how many meat patties and how much cheese you want and that is what you'll get! For instance, if you want 6 pieces of meat and 10 pieces of cheese tell them you want a "6-by-10."

"Double Meat" = like a Double Double without cheese.

"3 by Meat" = three meat patties and no cheese.

"Animal Style" = the meat is cooked and fried with mustard and then pickles are added, extra spread and grilled onions are added.

"Animal Style Fries" = fries with cheese, spread, grilled onions and pickles (if you ask for them).

"Protein Style" = for all you low-carbohydrate dieters, this is a burger with no bun (wrapped in lettuce).

"Flying Dutchman" = two meat patties, two slices of melted cheese and nothing else - not even a bun!

Fries "Well-Done" = extra crispy fries . . . even better than the regular!

Fries "Light" = opposite of fries well-done, more raw than most people like 'em

"Grilled Cheese" = no meat, just melted cheese, tomato, lettuce and spread on a bun.

"Veggie Burger" = burger without the patty or cheese. Sometimes we call this the "Wish Burger."

"Neapolitan" Shake = strawberry, vanilla and chocolate blended together.

The friendly employees of In-N-Out Burger will take your special order without question, if you use the right terminology. The printed receipt will have your special request typed on it just as we said it.

Try it!
Using the secret code someone ordered a 100x100.

( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 6, 2006 at 06:43 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 05:40 AM

Sad.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 06:29 AM

In N Out rules. Their menu is Apple-like in its simplicity and you can't go wrong. Fresh food, free condiments (salt!!! no ketchup from packets) good prices. They are at the top of my fast food list. I'll be sure to use the hidden codes next time.
Genius. You know who.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 12:09 PM

The wait lines are insane. Can't call that FAST food anymore...

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 12:19 PM

It's a sad day for anyone who eats. In-N-Out is awesome.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 03:59 PM

sadly i am on the east coast right now, so i cant go to my in-n-out for another couple of weeks

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 05:45 PM

Agreed. I've been there at 1 AM and waited for a half hour. But boy is the food good.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 06:28 PM

Animal style sounds good, but I'm afraid of saying that to the person taking my order. "Yes, can I have it animal style between the buns."

The picture of the In-N-Out looks like the Hollywood one.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Animal style sounds good, but I'm afraid of saying that to the person taking my order. "Yes, can I have it animal style between the buns."

The picture of the In-N-Out looks like the Hollywood one.
I added the caption from the wikipedia page where I found the image. It's in Pinole, CA.
(Pronounced, "pin-OHL.")

Here's the Hollywood store.

7009 Sunset Blvd.
Hollywood, California 90028

Sunday through Thursday 10:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m.
Friday and Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m.
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 6, 2006 at 09:45 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 08:48 PM

Too bad i've never heard of it, is the food good?
( Last edited by the macimum; Aug 6, 2006 at 09:29 PM. )

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Too bad i've never heard of it, was the food good?
First of all, let's be clear. It is just fast food. Period.

BUT, as fast food goes it is sublime.

Like home made, but better. Like franchise, but better.

Simple. Fresh. Real. Good.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 09:14 PM

They have franchises all over the world?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 09:26 PM

Too bad i've never heard of it, was the food good?
What do you mean, WAS ?

Do you think they're gonna change it because grandma is dead ?

-t

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 09:29 PM

It's like being under new management, right?

Gator Lager
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 09:34 PM

IN-N-OUT RULES
wish they'd open them up here in florida.

just got the new t-shirt 2 weeks ago. but alas it was a friend the picked it up out in cal'lee.

I could go for 2 double doubles, large fry and a chocolate shake.
of course I'd be miserable after
dammit I'm hungry now.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 09:44 PM

They have franchises all over the world?
In-N-Out now has 202 restaurants in California, Arizona and Nevada.

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp?view=all

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 09:49 PM

It's like being under new management, right?
For them to have grown to this size and popularity it's unlikely there would be any change in their operation.

Just like OBL's demise wouldn't change global terrorism. They have a company manual.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 09:51 PM

I heard rumors that if you ask In-N-Out for a free burger, they will give you one. The owner is very religious and prints bible verses on the bottom of cups and utensils.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

uhhh you heard wrong

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

I heard rumors that if you ask In-N-Out for a free burger, they will give you one. The owner is very religious and prints bible verses on the bottom of cups and utensils.
Did you see the pic of the Hollyweird store I posted (above)?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Did you see the pic of the Hollyweird store I posted (above)?
Yeah, looks just like the pinole one with the palm trees in the back.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 10:18 PM

Yeah, looks just like the pinole one with the palm trees in the back.

When visiting, look for
the palm trees crossed
in an 'X' that can be
found in front of many
In-N-Out Burger
restaurants.

In-N-Out drink in front
of Southern California
palm trees similar to
those on the
In-N-Out packaging

Trivia

In-N-Out offers a cookout trailer that can be hired for private or corporate events. This trailer offers hamburgers, cheeseburgers, double-doubles, grilled cheese, 20 oz. fountain drinks, and potato chips (instead of fries). A hot oil vat is reportedly unsafe in a moving vehicle, hence the potato chips.

Prior to converting to computerized cash registers, the orders were taken on color-coded notepads (green for the front drive-through window, pink for the rear drive-through window, and white for the walk-up window)

When visiting, look for the palm trees crossed in an 'X' that can be found in front of many In-N-Out Burger restaurants.

Founder Harry Snyder's favorite movie was Stanley Kramer's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in which individuals look for a hidden treasure and find it under the crossed palm trees — "under the W", where the middle two of four palms formed an 'X', which is why many stores have crossing palm trees in front, and some have two.

During periods when the drive-through line is really long, an associate is sent to personally take orders from the cars waiting to be served. Today, these employees enter the orders on a PDA-like device, called the Handheld.

In-N-Out stickers are available on request as well as paper hats.

After accepting only cash in its many years in business, In-N-Out began accepting Visa and MasterCard for payment on September 15, 2005, beginning at the University of California, Irvine location. In-N-Out does not currently accept American Express.

In-N-Out has inspired famous chef Thomas Keller to open a hamburger restaurant.[11]

A Day In The Life Of "In-N-Out" Burger...(Flash animation)
http://www.in-n-out.com/intro.asp?replay=y

In 1948, the first In-N-Out Burger was founded by Harry and Esther Snyder in Baldwin Park. Harry's idea of a drive-thru hamburger stand where customers could order through a two-way speaker box was quite unique. In that era, it was common to see carhops serving those who wanted to order food from their car. Harry's idea caught on and California's first drive-thru hamburger stand was born.

The Snyder's business philosophy was simple: "Give customers the freshest, highest quality foods you can buy and provide them with friendly service in a sparkling clean environment." These principles have worked so well over the years that they are still the company's fundamental philosophy.

Quality, freshness, and service were very important to Harry and Esther. Their sons, Guy and Rich, learned the business from the "ground floor". From an early age, Guy and Rich worked at In-N-Out, learning the principles that were to become the cornerstones of In-N-Out's philosophy.

It was almost three years before a second In-N-Out was opened. By the time of Harry Snyder's death in 1976, there were only 18 drive-thru locations. Rich took over as President at the age of 24, and with Guy's help, established a commissary at the Baldwin Park Headquarters. This new facility allowed In-N-Out to have total quality control over all In-N-Out ingredients. In addition, they created the In-N-Out "University", where new managers are trained and the In-N-Out formula for success is consistently reinforced. While Rich was President, In-N-Out grew from those 18 locations in 1976 to 93 locations at the time of his death in 1993. Guy Snyder became Chairman of the Board and CEO in 1993.

As Chairman of the Board, H. Guy Snyder, (the H. stands for Harry, named after his father) led In-N-Out into the future with continued expansion throughout California, Nevada and Arizona. Guy carried on the same tradition that was set in 1948 by his parents, stressing the same basic values that helped make In-N-Out so successful. While Guy was Chairman of the Board, In-N-Out grew from 93 locations to 140 at the time of his death in 1999.

Esther is the President of In-N-Out and still works with the office each day. Esther continues to maintain the warm, friendly operation that was started over 50 years ago. The atmosphere of enthusiasm for serving customers the freshest quality hamburgers and french fries can be seen all the way from the many store locations to the office Associates.

Though times have changed, little has changed at In-N-Out. The menu-burgers, fries and drinks-is still the same basic menu customers have enjoyed since 1948. Everything is still made fresh to order. There are no microwaves or freezers. Customers may observe french fries being made from hand-diced, fresh, whole potatoes. And the shakes are made from real ice cream.

There have been a few modifications in recent years. The original In-N-Out offered only drive-thru and walk up service. Most of the newer In-N-Out Burger locations provide indoor and outdoor seating. Aside from building improvements, though, In-N-Out has retained the basic traditions that have made it a favorite for over 50 years.

In-N-Out remains privately owned and the Snyder family has no plans to take the company public or franchise any units. All Associates are treated like family. Many Associates have been with In-N-Out for over 20 years, some even worked with Harry and Esther in the early years. These relationships and the commitment to the company's philosophies continue to make In-N-Out a very special place to work.
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 7, 2006 at 03:18 AM. )

Ratm
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 10:44 PM

I luv their burgers and animal fries. R.I.P.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
I luv their burgers and animal fries. R.I.P.
Even the opening of a new In-N-Out location becomes an event. When one opened in Scottsdale, Arizona, there was a four-hour wait for food, and news helicopters whirled above the parking lot. [5]

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 11:11 PM

I'm going to try a 4x4 tomorrow.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I'm going to try a 4x4 tomorrow.
Although big burgers have been very popular in the past, the company has changed the policy: the largest burger that will be made is an 8x8[citation needed]. They will, however, add extra cheese upon request.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 11:36 PM

The owner is very religious and prints bible verses on the bottom of cups and utensils.
Joel Mueller owns In N Out?!?!
(a callback to the MacUpdate christmas thread)
Genius. You know who.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by nforcer
Joel Mueller owns In N Out?!?!
(a callback to the MacUpdate christmas thread)
Oh, just chill out. Before the heathens gained a toe-hold in this country almost EVERYTHING Christian was done without any apologies and no harm to almost anyone or anything.

Except gays. And if the Christians were being Christ-like they would have been at LEAST tolerant.

So, what's wrong with a PRIVATELY OWNED company discretely printing the Biblical book, chapter and verse on the bottoms of their cups?

Bible references

Bible reference on the bottom of an In-N-Out drink cup

In-N-Out prints discreet references to Bible verses on their paper utensils. The print is small and out of the way, and only contains the book, chapter and verse numbers (for example, "Proverbs 3:5"), not the actual text of the passages. The Snyders are a religious Christian family, and most likely these particular Bible verses have special meaning for them.

Burger and cheeseburger wrappers
Revelation 3:20—"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me."

Beverage cups and antenna toppers
John 3:16—"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Milkshake cups
Proverbs 3:5—"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

Double-Double wrapper
Nahum 1:7—"The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him."

Paper water cups, or "R-9's"
John 14:6 —"Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one cometh unto the Father but by Me."

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 03:22 AM

Burgers

The bulk of the secret menu revolves around the burgers. Animal Style is the most popular "secret" style. In addition to the standard toppings, Animal Style burgers include pickles, extra spread, grilled onions, and mustard fried onto each meat patty. 3×3 (3 by 3), 4×4, or variations of m × c, refers to a burger with a varied amount of meat patties (first number, m) and slices of cheese (second number, c). For example, a burger with six meat patties and three slices of cheese would be a 6×3.

The largest known burger of this type was a 666x666, created for a Caltech Ditch Day stack in Ricketts House in the spring of 1997. (The purchaser had to construct a steel trough to transport it home.)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Oh, just chill out. Before the heathens gained a toe-hold in this country almost EVERYTHING Christian was done without any apologies and no harm to almost anyone or anything.

Except gays. And if the Christians were being Christ-like they would have been at LEAST tolerant.

So, what's wrong with a PRIVATELY OWNED company discretely printing the Biblical book, chapter and verse on the bottoms of their cups?
Although I am not Christian, I have no problems with it. It's a privately own company. Owner is a Christian. He can printe Bible verses on the bottom of his cups if he wants to. It doesn't bother me a bit. Just wondering if it is true I can get free burger if I ask. Maybe I'll try it with the animal style burger and ask if I can get it free.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 04:22 AM

Although I am not Christian, I have no problems with it. It's a privately own company. Owner is a Christian. He can printe Bible verses on the bottom of his cups if he wants to. It doesn't bother me a bit. Just wondering if it is true I can get free burger if I ask. Maybe I'll try it with the animal style burger and ask if I can get it free.
Maybe if they don't go for it you might have to give them the secret Christian password.

How to get the password?

Sorry, you have to become a Christian, first. It's issued to all new members at that time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules