Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MACConnection Uses Bait and Switch.

MACConnection Uses Bait and Switch.
Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 02:23 PM

I wanted to enlighten everyone as to how MACConnection does business.
Early this morning I checked their "Reconditioned" page. On it was a Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz for $1999. Great I thought, got my dad his gift! This is the normal price they sell open box returns or defective units. This can be hit or miss since you could potentially get a beat up unit (happened once to me). Most of the time these units are perfect just open. I placed my order at 2.30 am and went to bed. I get up this morning and www.powerbookcentral.com just posts the deal I bought(9am central) seven hours later. Shortly thereafter the item is reported out of stock.
I call to confirm my order number and am told my order has been cancelled! At this point I am pissed, I ask WHY?? Oh we only had one! It seems there reconditioned stock page is a list of SINGLE items. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and asked why they had stock at 9am but could not fulfill my order placed at 2 am, SEVEN hours earlier. Oh he says, "we only had a duh one unit." He proceeds to apoligize and apoligize over and over. I then ask that when the next recon PB comes in that it be held to be sold to me. He says "um duh um duh we cant do dat".
Needless to say I have heard other commplain of SHODDY customer service from Macconnection.
Personally I have had great experiences wil Smalldog and MacZones. Never again will I order from MacConnection.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2003, 03:55 PM

Okay, so you ordered something that was regrettably out of stock. That is unfortunate, but a rather normal turn of events if you're not fast enough, no?

Now: "Bait and Switch" requires that there be something *switched*.

What exactly were you sold instead?

-s*

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 06:33 PM

Here is the email the sent me. I am not complaining to just complain.

Unfortunately this was a while supply lasts item, we
are out of stock and we will not be able to fill your order for it. I
apologize our stock count on the website was not accurate when you placed
your order. Your order for this will be canceled, and you will not be
charged for it.
I am very sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this may cause you.
If you would like help finding a possible equivalent item, please contact
our sales team at #(888) 213-0260 or our technicians at

-Q-
Dec 19, 2003, 06:45 PM

Poor inventory management, yes. Bait and Switch? No. They overpromised on their inventory and couldn't deliver. Bad luck, but I don't think they were perpetrating a fraud...

Kermy
Dec 19, 2003, 06:47 PM

You're WAY WAY overreacting. They're out of stock and they cancelled your order. So what? And oh yea look up the term "Bait and Switch." Macconnection.com did nothing wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...nd%20switch%20

There looked it up for you.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Forum Links
Forum Rules