Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icon settings in 10.9 resetting randomly

Icon settings in 10.9 resetting randomly
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2014, 12:46 PM

Well, here's one of the stranger bugs I've come by in my time. I often use custom icons and backgrounds within folders. However, after recently dealing with one minor issue (successfully, I might add) on my computer, at certain times Finder will reset the icon size, arrangement and background settings. I wouldn't mind this is if it weren't for the fact that it keeps the icon view settings, but scatters the icons willy-nilly within the Finder window. I've tried all the tricks in my arsenal: mucking about with or deleting preferences, .DS_store, cache, disk permissions, voodoo, but nothing has worked so far.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes these settings reset after I open a Save/Open box within a program, browse to where I'd like to save or open whatever, then use the Finder afterwards. Unfortunately, the folders I generally need are my Home folder, Documents, Desktop, and so on, which means I'm having to constantly deal with their individual Finder windows resetting. It takes only a minute or so to get everything back to how I'd like, but that adds up when I have to deal with this rather persistent issue.

So, to you of the MacNN collective knowledge, any ideas on what could be causing this, and how I might rectify this?

And for those really inclined, I have an even stranger bug involving custom icons. I've had a folder going back to the very first Public Beta that contains various customs icons. This summer I made the jump from 10.6.8 to Mavericks, and hadn't touched that folder until recently. Much to my consternation, I found that merely browsing through that folder and the ones within will drain my hard drive down to zero gigs of free space, unless I close that Finder window. A reset will bring back the lost memory, but I've never heard of browsing a folder causing rampant and speedy memory loss. From what I can tell in Activity Monitor, the Finder isn't using obscene or unwarranted amounts of RAM or paging to the hard drive in any crazy way. For the time being I've locked up the folder so I don't accidentally open it, but again, any ideas on what might be causing this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules