Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > T-Mobile provides subscribers with three months of free LTE service

T-Mobile provides subscribers with three months of free LTE service
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 23, 2015, 10:20 PM

T-Mobile subscribers are being offered free unlimited LTE data, as part of a month of promotions dubbed "Uncarrier Unwrapped." Current users of the postpaid Simple Choice plan, including business customers, as of the end November 23 will receive unlimited access to the LTE network free for a three-month period, starting from December 1 until March 1, regardless of the data allowance they have on their price plan.

Active customers are required to stay on the same plan that they are currently on, with the Binge On video service active, in order to keep using the unlimited data. It is also noted that the unlimited data will not apply for tethering, only for on-device Internet usage.

The carrier also plans to release more "special holiday gifts," both to its customers and to its competition. A "gift" will be provided to the customers of Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, with one carrier being targeted each week, with it likely to involve an extra bonus if customers switch carriers to T-Mobile.

T-Mobile also advised of some of the offers it will be providing on Black Friday, including a free Android tablet on a qualifying data plan, the UE Boom Bluetooth speaker for $99, and discounts on Samsung products. More of interest to Apple fans is a Cyber Monday deal where the carrier will offer storage upgrades on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, upgrading orders for the 16GB model to 64GB, and 64GB orders to the 128GB version.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2015, 10:13 AM

Check coverage first. Free LTE is of little value if your location has lousy cellular. I encountered that when I moved from Seattle to a college town of about 40,000. T-Mobile coverage was so awful, I was missing half my calls. I shifted to AT&T. It was almost as bad. Both were only interested in covering a nearby Interstate. AT&T coverage was so dreadful, there were two of their stores closer than their nearest tower. I finally ended up with Verizon, the only provider that actually offered decent coverage. If it don't work, it ain't a deal even if free.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

sgs123
Nov 24, 2015, 04:50 PM

Something else to be aware of is that a large part of T-Mobile's recent build-out is on LTE band 12 (700MHz), which is great from a technical perspective (building penetration), but the only Apple devices which support band 12 are the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus -- (currently) no other iPhones or iPads support it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules