Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dual G5-ers with 9800 Pro (OEM or Retail) + UT2K3 = fps?

Dual G5-ers with 9800 Pro (OEM or Retail) + UT2K3 = fps?
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 10:22 PM

Hey guys,

as I am anxiously awaiting my dual G5, I thought I'd have to ask, what kind of play fps do you get and on what settings in UT2K3?

The bottom line:

Does it ever get jerky on reasonable resolutions??

TIA

-Kris
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Hydra
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 11:17 PM

I play my dual 2.0 G5/OEM 9800 at the full rez of my 20" CD of 1680x1050 with all setting set to max and it plays very smoothly. Under very severe action it gets slightly choppy (never enough to make me want to drop down my settings though) but if you drop the rez down it should always be butter smooth. Hope this helps.

-Jerry C.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 11:20 PM

There is a thread I started on this a month or two ago on this. I posted my fps on a Dual 2Ghz with UT2k and so did quite a few others.

I'd say its good.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 12:14 AM

UT2K3 even gets slightly choppy on my PC -- P4 3.06/Radeon 9700 Pro -- if I'm playing a large outdoor map with 12+ people (DM_Plunge is the worst, framerate-wise). 1600x1200, max settings, no AA. Of course, by "slightly choppy" I mean under 30 fps, which is what I assume Hydra meant as well... still totally playable. I can't wait for my G5 -- IN TRANSIT! w00t!
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules