Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod Photo killer

iPod Photo killer
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:23 PM

This thing is AMAZING!

Its the Epson P-2000
Click the image for Epson page

quick list of tech specs / features

* View, share and store photos, videos and music
* Large 3.8" Epson Photo Fine� LCD
* Portable 40 GB hard drive
* Download from leading digital camera memory cards with built-in slots
* Transfer files to and from your computer with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface
* Connect to a TV or projector with an optional third party video cable
* Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery with AC adapter

It can play .mov and .avi movies, mp3s, AAC, and most picture formats... including RAW files!

My dad is borrowing one from work and I can't stop drooling.

The screen is beautiful, huge, and the highest resolution I have ever seen.

By the way... its the same price as the cheeper iPod Photo, $500

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 01:25 PM

Damn, can you download images directly from your camera to it?

This is what the stupid iPod photo should have been.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:26 PM

looks hot!
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

paully dub
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:29 PM

wow, I want an iPod that can do all that!!!

And Epson isn't even a brand I absolutley detest. Hmmm...

Adopt-A-Yankee

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Damn, can you download images directly from your camera to it?

not directlyfrom the camera, it has card slots (compact flash and SD cards)

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:48 PM

That thing look huge..

"Is that an Epson P-2000 in your pocket or are you just very happy to see me"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
looks hot!
New Hot_ _ _ _!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 01:50 PM

Don't worry. Apple is just crippling it now, so that they have stuff to add to it in the future.

iPod hard drive upgrades may have been the dominating feature distinguishing the line-up in the past, but they will need to be clever from this point on, in order to capture and maintain consumer interest in this product.

In time, over the course of many iPod Photo revisions:

-quicktime movie capabilities
-cheapo camera
-SD/CF card reader
-etc

Hard drive upgrades alone can only capture the average consumers interest for so long. I doubt 120GB iPod Photos are much more appealing than 60 GB iPod Photo's. Throw in a cheap camera on the back of the unit and Apple will have a marketing bonanza on their hands...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 01:51 PM

You can also get an iRiver H320... 20 GB storage, color screen, photo capability, radio, mic and line in recording, and even movie playback (with a hack). $300. A friend of mine got one but he ended up returning it because he needed the money. The interface of course isn't as good as the iPod, but all the features make it very attractive.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
That thing look huge..

"Is that an Epson P-2000 in your pocket or are you just very happy to see me"
It is bigger than an iPod, but smaller than I expected. The epson pictures make it look big.

Quick and dirty size comparison

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:

In time, over the course of many iPod Photo revisions:

-quicktime movie capabilities
-cheapo camera
-SD/CF card reader
-etc
I don't think (and really don't hope) we'll see any of that in an iPod. Lower prices, sleaker enclosure and more capacity is where it's at!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 01:59 PM

Don't worry. Apple is just crippling it now, so that they have stuff to add to it in the future.
Ya I am worried. Apple has the trait of sticking to the one thing it does and that is it. For example if the iMac had a TV tuner I am sure it would sell even better. The iPod photo should be able to download images directly off a camera without an expensive add on.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I don't think (and really don't hope) we'll see any of that in an iPod. Lower prices, sleaker enclosure and more capacity is where it's at!
You're right you won't see any of that in an iPod. We are talking about "iPod Photo".

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:04 PM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 02:24 PM

Is it easy to use? Epson's generally not a brand I associate with break out products... I doubt it will kill the iPod. We'll see competition though which is good. I agree though the iPod photo should have a different look than the iPod. Perhaps a large wide screen, with a smaller scroll wheel either on the right or left. Possibly a built in 3 Megapixel camera as well.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 02:38 PM

NM

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
NM
heh what you said before was funnier than "NM"

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
heh what you said before was funnier than "NM"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 06:06 PM

Hard drive upgrades alone can only capture the average consumers interest for so long. I doubt 120GB iPod Photos are much more appealing than 60 GB iPod Photo's. Throw in a cheap camera on the back of the unit and Apple will have a marketing bonanza on their hands...
No...they'll have a great mp3 player with a crap camera added in.

Whoop. Dee. Doo.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 06:21 PM

Ya I am worried. Apple has the trait of sticking to the one thing it does and that is it. For example if the iMac had a TV tuner I am sure it would sell even better.
Okay, now think fifteen seconds further:

WHAT KIND of TV tuner? Analog? Most people have that, but its death knell has just been sounded here, with the first regions going digital terrestrial. So you include a DVB tuner - S, or T? Or HDTV? If you do that, you alienate 80+% of the market, who might think of wanting a TV tuner, but don't actually have DVB or HDTV.

1. So you need variation. Hardware variation is the single most expensive aspect of a product palette. Throwing in different documentation or software, or power adapter thingies, can be done by hired help. Hardware variation has to be during production - and any changes during production are tremendously expensive.

2. Also: the only really decent video-in solutions are the elgato boxes (and one PCMCIA solution that's damn good, I forget which), and there's like five of them - for all the different TV sources - and they're somewhere up near $300. We don't sell anywhere *near* the number of eyeTVs as we do iMacs - and that's including the fact that Hamburg has just (as in ten days ago) switched to DVB-T television broadcast, which means non-cable/non-satellite people *need* a digital receiver of some sort. I doubt we'd sell as many iMacs if they were only $200 more expensive.

3. What possible use could it be to have the iMac sell even BETTER right now? The damn thing's back-ordered for over three weeks over here! They're already selling more than they can make!

-s*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 06:23 PM

I doubt 120GB iPod Photos are much more appealing than 60 GB iPod Photo's. Throw in a cheap camera on the back of the unit and Apple will have a marketing bonanza on their hands...
For Pete's sake: do we really need a farkin' camera built into everything ?

-t

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 06:39 PM

instead of dealing with TV tuners, why not give the imac a set of video inputs? Or better yet make the vga/svideo/composite dongle a VI/VO function. Said and done, no worrying about all that crap.
Aloha

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
For Pete's sake: do we really need a farkin' camera built into everything ?

-t
Well, for something that's called iPod Photo, it might make sense. I agree, though, that it would be added bulk, but added bulk seems to be the iPP's raison d'être anyway.

This Epson device certainly makes more sense than the iPP for photos, though, since it actually lets you import photos from a camera's flash card. I don't know what Apple are thinking by not allowing that on the iPP.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 08:42 PM

What Apple should do is make a video Firewire accessory. Which would let you turn your mac into a PVR with the right software, and record video. It would only need to have coaxial in and composite in. S Video if you really want. But VCRs manage fairly well I don't see why Apple couldn't.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 08:44 PM

Cool

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 10:01 PM

Yeah the Epson is totally what the iPod photo should be. Apple as someone else said tends to get stuck on "what works". That's fine but they are being eclipsed by the competition right now. It won't hurt them this Christmas but watch out next year.

I think they need to impliment a touch screen within the next revision and probably loose the scroll wheel. Cries of blasphemy I hear but the current scroll wheel could be replaced by a 'dashboard'. I also think it would be cool if they put a 'pinhole' camera on the back chrome surface. The photos would be same aspect ratio as the iPod.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
No...they'll have a great mp3 player with a crap camera added in.

Whoop. Dee. Doo.
Damn you're a prick.

Why not include a camera. Apple could do it right. I guarantee a lot of people are looking at a iPod photo thinking "well that's neat but kind of expensive without the camera". It's no different than Apple including the ability to record audio, which they have. The current iPod photo is lacking, definately. Instead of designing something useful it's more or less a novelty.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
It's no different than Apple including the ability to record audio, which they have.
you had to go and say it didn't you?

t-minus one hour until CharlesS gets in here.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 10:28 PM

Yeah the Epson is totally what the iPod photo should be. Apple as someone else said tends to get stuck on "what works". That's fine but they are being eclipsed by the competition right now.
Nice choice of words. Looking at that size comparison picture the iPod is truly being eclipsed.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:

Please LOCK THE THREAD BEFORE THAT!

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Nice choice of words. Looking at that size comparison picture the iPod is truly being eclipsed.
So the iPod is superior because of it's size? That's as lame of marketing as advertising that the original Powerbook G4 was only 1" thick. Yeah it's great that it's thin but what does .5 of an inch really matter? Plus the Epson has a bigger screen.

Honestly the size of the Epson doesn't bother me. I would be buying it to use for my business and not showing pictures to friends at a bar where the iPod's smaller size would be handy for keeping in my pocket.

Again the I think the iPod photo is more of a gimick to entice those who might be considering going with an alternative brand of player because it offers more for the same money.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 11:44 PM

So the iPod is superior because of it's size?
Yes.

To elaborate: Pocket devices has to actually fit in my pocket. The smaller the better. There is however a balance between features and size and that balance is individual to everyone. For my laptop I love my 17" PowerBook. For my iPod I need at least 20GB, but I sure wish it was in a mini-form factor.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Well, for something that's called iPod Photo, it might make sense. I agree, though, that it would be added bulk, but added bulk seems to be the iPP's raison d'être anyway.
Apple could easily implement a cheap camera into the back of the iPod Photo with little if no added bulk. It would be similar to the quality seen in camera phones. I know a lot of you think it would be pointless, but believe it or not, those camera phones are flying off the shelves these days, everyone has to have one, they're all the rage, and the "cameras" in them cost next to nothing.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
not directlyfrom the camera, it has card slots (compact flash and SD cards)
I would argue that this is better .. no cords to carry!

no usb cord for the camera to this player.. AND it saves the camera's battery. it's way better this way! wow i'm impressed... wonder what the reviews will say

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:

I'm already in here, if you hadn't noticed.

I don't really give a crap about this thing since I couldn't care less about an MP3 player that displays photos. If it had audio recording, it would be more useful, but still priced too high given that there are cheaper MP3 players that can record out there. But for what it's intended to do, view photos, this thing looks like it does a much better job than the iPod Photo.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Link:
instead of dealing with TV tuners, why not give the imac a set of video inputs? Or better yet make the vga/svideo/composite dongle a VI/VO function. Said and done, no worrying about all that crap.

WHAT KIND of TV tuner? Analog? Most people have that, but its death knell has just been sounded here, with the first regions going digital terrestrial. So you include a DVB tuner - S, or T? Or HDTV? If you do that, you alienate 80+% of the market, who might think of wanting a TV tuner, but don't actually have DVB or HDTV.

1. So you need variation. Hardware variation is the single most expensive aspect of a product palette. Throwing in different documentation or software, or power adapter thingies, can be done by hired help. Hardware variation has to be during production - and any changes during production are tremendously expensive.

2. Also: the only really decent video-in solutions are the elgato boxes (and one PCMCIA solution that's damn good, I forget which), and there's like five of them - for all the different TV sources - and they're somewhere up near $300. We don't sell anywhere *near* the number of eyeTVs as we do iMacs - and that's including the fact that Hamburg has just (as in ten days ago) switched to DVB-T television broadcast, which means non-cable/non-satellite people *need* a digital receiver of some sort. I doubt we'd sell as many iMacs if they were only $200 more expensive.

3. What possible use could it be to have the iMac sell even BETTER right now? The damn thing's back-ordered for over three weeks over here! They're already selling more than they can make!

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2004, 03:54 AM

So the iPod is superior because of it's size? That's as lame of marketing as advertising that the original Powerbook G4 was only 1" thick. Yeah it's great that it's thin but what does .5 of an inch really matter? Plus the Epson has a bigger screen.

Honestly the size of the Epson doesn't bother me. I would be buying it to use for my business and not showing pictures to friends at a bar where the iPod's smaller size would be handy for keeping in my pocket.
Well, then, I suppose you are not the iPod market.

OF COURSE the iPod is superior because of its size. The iPod mini is selling like crazy, in case you haven't noticed. Yeah, that's the one that's the drastically worse deal, GB-per-buck.
Damn you're a prick.
Thanks for the flowers - especially coming from you, they make me all tingly inside.
Why not include a camera. Apple could do it right. I guarantee a lot of people are looking at a iPod photo thinking "well that's neat but kind of expensive without the camera". It's no different than Apple including the ability to record audio, which they have. The current iPod photo is lacking, definately. Instead of designing something useful it's more or less a novelty.
The audio recording thing is a third-party add-on that's useless to most people except as a dictaphone. High-quality recording can't happen because of the iTunes Music Store. Much as I hate that fact, it's just the way it is.

A digital camera built into the iPod would be like building an iTalk into the iPod - crap quality barely acceptable for snapshots, or at least vastly inferior to ever cheaper digital cameras that people who are interested enough in photography to want an iPod photo for the image capabilities ALREADY HAVE. I'm sure "Apple could do it right". After all, they built the first consumer digital camera way back when. But I'm just as sure that Apple couldn't do it better than what's already out there, let alone at a price that the market will bear.

Have Griffin build a crap camera as an add-on, for all those three people that don't already have crap cameras built into their phone.

Also: Lose the scroll wheel, and the device is not an iPod.

-s*

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2004, 08:42 PM

Apple could easily implement a cheap camera into the back of the iPod Photo with little if no added bulk. It would be similar to the quality seen in camera phones. I know a lot of you think it would be pointless, but believe it or not, those camera phones are flying off the shelves these days, everyone has to have one, they're all the rage, and the "cameras" in them cost next to nothing.

Noah
You are forgetting the very reason why people put up with crap quality cameras in phones. It's because you can send them of to people with ease. Without the sharing aspect, why would you want a crap camera in your iPod?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2004, 09:51 PM

And it's the exact same problem with memory cards. Either you have to just pick one, or be willing to include 2 or 3 different slots. Can you imagine an iPod with 3 memory card slots on it?

It makes so much more sense to just download them from the computer. Then you just keep the same Firewire/USB 2 cable that you use for music. And, I believe you can buy external card readers for the iPod if you really want to. That way the 95% of the population who wouldn't use it don't have to pay for it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2004, 10:42 PM

it's an iPod photo killer for sure imo. maybe lacking in UI design and style, but as far as functionality, it's nailed it.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Ya I am worried. Apple has the trait of sticking to the one thing it does and that is it. For example if the iMac had a TV tuner I am sure it would sell even better. The iPod photo should be able to download images directly off a camera without an expensive add on.
You can get a USB tuner from ATI, or a PCI tuner from Miglia. There's no real reason for them to be standard equipment.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 05:15 AM

Looks nice! How long does the battery last?

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2004, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
You can get a USB tuner from ATI, or a PCI tuner from Miglia. There's no real reason for them to be standard equipment.
I never specified tuner, and the USB/firewire video devices are pretty laggy

Many current video chips actually DO support this too
Aloha

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 12:39 PM

This is fast and dirty, but nearly to scale. Note that the Epson P2000 has a black border around the screen that makes it look bigger than it actually is. Still, 3.8" is pretty sweet. The thing that really sticks out for me is the weight: 1 pound! In a backpack - no problem. In your pocket - whoa.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
This is fast and dirty, but nearly to scale. Note that the Epson P2000 has a black border around the screen that makes it look bigger than it actually is. Still, 3.8" is pretty sweet. The thing that really sticks out for me is the weight: 1 pound! In a backpack - no problem. In your pocket - whoa.

http://homepage.mac.com/rseijas/.Pictures/epsonipod.jpg
The screen is not quite THAT wide... Its still 4:3 I think. but you get the idea.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 06:53 PM

Hot

Forum Links
Forum Rules