Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Closed lid during operation

Closed lid during operation
darkhero168
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 11:03 PM

Hey there, i have my macbook setup to my monitor and usually have it closed while operating (it's essentially like a desktop) I noticed that the laptop's temperature gets really high and that the screen gets very hot. does this affect the colour crystals in the display?

kernelbinary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 11:20 PM

I think that yes, you can damage your screen that way.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 12:06 AM

No, it's fine. This is a frequently asked question. It is perfectly ok to operate the MB with the lid closed.

darkhero168  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 01:04 AM

i looked into the other thread regarding this issue and the discussing was a heat related issue. however i was concerened about the screen. i noticed that when i had woken the laptop up on it's own, there was a dark spot on the screen where there was more heat exposure. it was definately in the display and not burn marks on the surface of the screen, so I was wondering if excess heat would deteriorate the quality of the display.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 01:31 AM

If it is, then it is a warranty issue. Apple claims it is fine, so any damage is a defect.

variozin
Jul 13, 2007, 02:56 AM

anyway its a better idea that if you want to operate the MB with lid closed do it with zero brightness of the screen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by variozin View Post
anyway its a better idea that if you want to operate the MB with lid closed do it with zero brightness of the screen.
???
If you're in close-lid mode the screen's off anyway so there's no reason to play around with the brightness.

This has been discussed countless times on this board. It's perfectly OK to work in closed-lid mode. Even if the screen gets warm your MB or MBP was designed to be used that way. Apple endorses closed-lid mode and specifically mentions it in their documentation. If you're paranoid you can of course open the lid once the internal screen is off if it makes you feel any better. But it's not necessary.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 10:57 AM

We really need an FAQ in the stickies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules