Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > broadband with OSX

broadband with OSX
dandare
Mar 7, 2002, 08:08 AM

I want to get a broadband connection in the UK, for home use, but after reading an article in Macworld mag, I've noticed all the problems, like no OSX drivers. I'm not over knowledgable about broadband, so could any UK people tell me what package to go for. I live in central London, so I should be able to hook up to the server (or something!?!?)

Thanks for any help

Oh, this is for my new imac

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 7, 2002, 08:23 AM

i've got NTL's broadband, in Liverpool. it's... alright. okay, it's bollocks a lot of the time. i had a static IP for months, which was okay, but now my IP can change up to 5 times times a day. each time it does, there's a huge hiccup and most times, i'm offline for a while. how the hell they expect me to run a hotline server like that, i don't know...

i've had no driver problems, but i'm not ADSL. i hear that's where the driver problems are. search the boards for "Alcatel" and read stories of woe and "that fukcing docking killed me again!", stuff like that. from what i gather, you can get round it and live peacefully and run X, so go for it.

what provider, and what kind of service are you looking at?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Naplander
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 11:27 AM

This is a pretty good UK site, with a dedicated MAC messageboard
www.adslguide.org
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

bremner770
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by dandare:
<STRONG>I want to get a broadband connection in the UK, for home use, but after reading an article in Macworld mag, I've noticed all the problems, like no OSX drivers. I'm not over knowledgable about broadband, so could any UK people tell me what package to go for. I live in central London, so I should be able to hook up to the server (or something!?!?)

Thanks for any help

Oh, this is for my new imac</STRONG>
Just yesterday I got broadband. I went with Pipex and got their wires only option. This allows you to buy your own hardware thus avoiding the Alcatel USB modem and it's crappy OS X drivers.

Since I have an iMac DV SE and an iBook Dual USB both with Airport cards I thought the neatest option would be to buy a wireless router so that I wasn't having to trail a RJ11 cable from my hall all the way to my office. So I bought a Alcatel 570 (wireless ADSL router with built in firewall) from DSL Source and am now happily surfing the web from my couch in the living room, with the wife sharing the connection from the office, and am looking forward to sitting outside in the garden when the one week of summer weather that Edinburgh gets each year decides to materialise .

The setup was a breeze using the instructions found here and I was up and going in under 5 minutes.

The router was a bit pricey but I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: bremner770 ]

Rob Judd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 12:35 PM

I use ntl Broadband in Brighton and Cambridge and it's really good. We use a router in our flat in Brighton (2PCs and one iMac) and it hasen't gone down once in three months!
mmmm - I'm a big Cinnamon bun.

Pauldunlop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 12:47 PM

I'm up in Manchester, and I've have NTL Broadband since it was first announced. It's rock solid with OS X, cos it just connects to the ethernet port, nothing else required. There is an OS X related problem to do with DNS lookup which can, and has, caused me major headaches, but as off a week ago, after a year of trying, i finally fixed it ! woohoo !

Anyway, basically, NTL are very good. They have EXCELLENT tech support should you need it. I have been impressed continuous with NTL's quality of service and support......which is something that i really appreciate, because that sorta level of service is very hard to come by nowadays.

Pauldunlop_UK�

Originally posted by Rob Judd:
<STRONG>I use ntl Broadband in Brighton and Cambridge and it's really good. We use a router in our flat in Brighton (2PCs and one iMac) and it hasen't gone down once in three months!
</STRONG>

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 7, 2002, 03:56 PM

If you do use a Speedtouch USB then buy a Vigor 2200 USB router from Micro Anvika. You can then plug the Speedtouch into that and the router into the Mac's NIC. That means you don't need to use the Alcatel drivers and that also means that OSX is faster without a direct to USB connection (since the Alcatel modem uses CPU cycles).

Another bonus is that using this router you can connect four computers at the same time! One nagging point is that you need to use Windows to set up the router using a program that uploads the Alcatel ROM to the router. You can use a real PC or Virtual PC. Micro Anvika will help upload the ROM for you if you don't have either and ask them nicely.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 04:14 PM

Over on this side of the pond broadband is plug and play (either DSL or cable). No special software or anything required. I wonder why it should be any different in the UK?

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 04:32 PM

If you go with alcatel and you have more than one machine make a router

In my mates flat they use a Pentium one with a 32MB memory as a router no monitor (cost them 50 quid) An thus you can turn off your machine and everyone still has a connection.

Cheers Edd

(Just another idea)

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
<STRONG>Over on this side of the pond broadband is plug and play (either DSL or cable). No special software or anything required. I wonder why it should be any different in the UK?</STRONG>
Because we suck! BT sucks. Alcatel sucks. The gov/watchdog sucks.

However, the only problems I get with the USB modem is the jerky cursor, which is infuriating, and sometimes it will not connect without a restart or two. The kernel panics only occur if you unplug the modem, as I use a tower so this is not a problem for me. To always get a connection after a restart you must connect with in the first few seconds. Stupid, stupid, stupid, but it has worked every time for me.
I still plan on getting a router but for now this will do.

jeffs7364
Mar 7, 2002, 04:54 PM

Can you get an external ADSL modem? I've got the Alcatel 1000 (connected through ethernet) and it just works. No drivers required just using the built-in networking. It sounds like the USB drivers (or lack of good ones) are the main source of grief.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 04:56 PM

Telewest announced OS X compatibility just before Christmas. Bizarrely, their web site still contradicts this, but the guy on the helpline confirmed that OS X was fine (you just need the right network addresses after all).

I'm still waiting for connection, but I know a couple of people who have it, they're quite happy with it. They say it drops speed a bit at peak times. Apparently Telewest are trying to scale their service so you always get at least 256kbps (max should be 512kbps).

I can't especially recommend it until I actually get it installed, but that's basically all I can go for, since ntl don't do my area (Finsbury Park-ish) and I've long since given up on DSL thanks to BT's complete ineptitude at rolling it out, pricing it, customer service, and generally having a clue Besides I already have cable TV from Telewest so it makes the broadband free cheaper...

Oh, and they have a postcode checking thing on their site if you want to find out if it's available in your area - although it doesn't actually recognise my postcode

anyway, good luck with it, whatever you go for

wulf

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 7, 2002, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Pauldunlop:
<STRONG>There is an OS X related problem to do with DNS lookup which can, and has, caused me major headaches, but as off a week ago, after a year of trying, i finally fixed it ! woohoo ! </STRONG>
hey! spill the beans kidda, what did you do? i've slowly going mad over here, due to annoying things like that! any chance you could mail me the fix?

sorted la!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2002, 06:18 PM

I got Telewast Cable Broardband last week. I have used This Router to Put both mac's on and it's fantastic the setup was easy. The man from Telewest came & set up the cable modem on one of the Mac's. I had him install it on the Mac running OS9, but he said he had just been on the OSX install corse. After he left I connected up the Router and used it's web page setup to change it's MAC Address to be the same as the Mac that was setup. since then it's just worked, no problems.
Glad I didn't go the ADSL route with it's sucky USB modem.

bremner770
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by wulf:
<STRONG> I've long since given up on DSL thanks to BT's complete ineptitude at rolling it out, pricing it, customer service, and generally having a clue </STRONG>
I think this was generally the case when you had to rely on BT to send out an engineer to do the install. Also it set you back aprrox �100 to have them connect you up. Now most ADSL providers are going wires only which means all that BT have to do is check your line is compatible then activate the ADSL on your line at the local exchange. Most providers charge you for this activation (approx �50) but at the moment Pipex are waiving this charge for the first 40000 customers. My turnaround from ordering to activation was 5 days and two of them were over the weekend so I wouldn't say that was too shabby.

bremner770
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>Glad I didn't go the ADSL route with it's sucky USB modem.</STRONG>
You don't have to use the USB modem. Most providers are now wires only for home users and so allow you to connect how you like, e.g. with a router. Alcatel have got a lot of bad press for their USB modem drivers but as far as their routers are concerned they are excellent.

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by bremner770:
<STRONG>

You don't have to use the USB modem. Most providers are now wires only for home users and so allow you to connect how you like, e.g. with a router. Alcatel have got a lot of bad press for their USB modem drivers but as far as their routers are concerned they are excellent.</STRONG>
But nevertheless, Alcatel should be thoroughly shunned because of their abysmal performance in getting Mac drivers out the door.

I'm still with BT and the horrible Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem, but have ordered this Ethernet Modem www.seg.co.uk/adsl/ar601.html Unfortunately, it hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you anything more useful...

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: booboo ]
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2002, 06:39 AM

Up until last week I lived in manchester, and had a NTL Broadband ethernet connection. It was faultless, and I have no complaints about the service or the tech support. I did not have to use any of their software and it was merely a case of plugging in the ethernet cable to the Mac and surf. I then used a router to link a few macs, and again had no problems...

Last week I moved to Welwyn Garden City and found out that I now can't get NTL so have had to resort to BT...

I phoned BT and asked for a 'wires only' connection as I wanted to use my router and NOT the USB modem....For the first 4 calls I was told catagorically it was not available as an option....I had to buy the �85 USB modem. I knew this was not the case. I called their tech support who confirmed the fact that 'wires only' was available...

Finally after 6 calls I got onto a manager who accepted that a 'wires only' was available, and signed me up with no problems...

However I was told it was only a trial, and that I was so far, the only person signed up to it! The is no connection charge or minimum contract (the trial will initialy last at least 6 months, and then a contract may apply), and it weighs in at �29.99 a month...The guy said that it will NOT be advertised, but anyone who asks for the service WILL get it...

If anyone wants ADSL without the modem it seems like a good deal...

Marc

bremner770
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
<STRONG>Up until last week I lived in manchester, and had a NTL Broadband ethernet connection. It was faultless, and I have no complaints about the service or the tech support. I did not have to use any of their software and it was merely a case of plugging in the ethernet cable to the Mac and surf. I then used a router to link a few macs, and again had no problems...

Last week I moved to Welwyn Garden City and found out that I now can't get NTL so have had to resort to BT...

I phoned BT and asked for a 'wires only' connection as I wanted to use my router and NOT the USB modem....For the first 4 calls I was told catagorically it was not available as an option....I had to buy the �85 USB modem. I knew this was not the case. I called their tech support who confirmed the fact that 'wires only' was available...

Finally after 6 calls I got onto a manager who accepted that a 'wires only' was available, and signed me up with no problems...

However I was told it was only a trial, and that I was so far, the only person signed up to it! The is no connection charge or minimum contract (the trial will initialy last at least 6 months, and then a contract may apply), and it weighs in at �29.99 a month...The guy said that it will NOT be advertised, but anyone who asks for the service WILL get it...

If anyone wants ADSL without the modem it seems like a good deal...

Marc</STRONG>
I think the problem people seem to have with BT and ADSL is that they think that you have to go with them to provide you with the service. This isn't true, just about all the ISPs out there are offering 'wires only' ADSL. Check out ADSL Guide for a list of providers. Once you've selected what ISP you would like to go with they deal with BT leaving you without the hastle of listening to their bullsh1t. BT don't want people to go with ADSL because they can make more money out of you by you buying their surf unlimited package direct from them.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2002, 08:52 AM

here in oz have an alcatel ADSL modem - works great. No drivers needed for osx just connect throught ethernet
John

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Pauldunlop:
<STRONG>I'm up in Manchester, and I've have NTL Broadband since it was first announced. It's rock solid with OS X, cos it just connects to the ethernet port, nothing else required. There is an OS X related problem to do with DNS lookup which can, and has, caused me major headaches, but as off a week ago, after a year of trying, i finally fixed it ! woohoo !
</STRONG>
I am also interest to ntl broadband service.
What did you do for what specific problem?
Let us know, share the information plz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules