Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Soundjam 2.1/ Rio Firmware

Soundjam 2.1/ Rio Firmware
TATungseth
Jun 15, 2000, 02:44 AM

On the heels of many complaints that the Rio firmware updates were only available for PC users, Soundjam 2.1 just came out. It promises to allow Mac users to update the firmware on their Rio.

After a long and exhaustive search on both the SoundJam and Rio websites, the only available firmware download is an "exe" file. Obviously for PCs. I downloaded it just in case. Yep, it's a PC file, and unrecognizeable by Soundjam.

Has anyone actually been able to update their Rio firmware? If so, how? Where is the file for use with the Mac?

Thanks.

Sam I Am
Jun 15, 2000, 09:55 AM

I have had TONNES of problems with soundjam 2.1. It causes an error type 10 every time i try to quit... so i had to go back to 2.02. It works fine.. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have the same problem?

P
Jun 15, 2000, 09:59 AM

Haven't got a Rio, so maybe I should shut up, but I thought it might be worth pointing out that many .exe on the 'net files are simply compressed, auto-expanding files. Try dropping them on Stuffit Expander - it may or may not work, depending on how the file was compressed. If it doesn't work, try again with ZipIt.
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi?kind=0&id=5070 http://www.versiontracker.com/redir..../zip-it-14.hqx
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jrobbin
Jun 15, 2000, 10:18 AM

Diamond/S3 will be posting a version of the Rio 500 firmware update in a form that Mac users will be able to uncompress.

Jeff Robbin
Author of SoundJam

willpower
Jun 15, 2000, 11:26 AM

I used VirtualPC to run the .exe file and then you get a new directory with the firmware file (rio5_211.cnt) inside the folder. I copied it to my Mac and then upgraded the firmware with SoundJam.

TATungseth I just emailed the file to you.

OpenGL128
Jun 15, 2000, 12:31 PM

Hi, could you email me the file also, I dont have VPC on this computer.

Thanks a lot

Zach Bragin
[email protected]

Xool
Jun 15, 2000, 02:13 PM

I also used VPC to decompress the Rio Firmware update. However fear not, for I have posted it on my iDisk for all to download!

just mount my public folder...
username: xool

mfiske
Jun 15, 2000, 06:47 PM

After updating to SoundJam 2.1, I am now nearly bald (well, not really). In order to make my Harmon-Kardon iSub usable, I was required to stick with Apple Audio Extension 1.0.4. Version 1.0.5 is available, but causes my iMac 350 to drop about 40% of it's Appearance Sounds, and causes other general "gurgling" of audio (which is unbearable for someone like me, who makes a partial living doing digital audio production). Now, attempting to use SoundJam 2.1 with Audio Extension 1.0.4 has become impossible, causing the iSub to function properly ONLY in the Finder, but introducing pops and gurgles in my mp3 and CD playback within SoundJam. I give up. There has not been a single, solitary day that I have had this iMac 350 and all of it's software working properly.

sadly,
Mark.

TATungseth  (op)
Jun 15, 2000, 08:23 PM

Wow, what a response! Especially to get a reply from the author of the software -- that's just wonderful.

However, as of 5:00 PM 6/15, there is no Mac version of the firmware on the S3, SoundJam, or DiamondMM website. While the download page says that it will work on Macs -- it's still an .exe file for PCs that actually downloads.

P: Thanks. But on my G4, I still wasn't able to decompress the .exe file using either stuffit or zipit.

Xool: That was awesome, and getting the firmware via your iDisk worked swimmingly. I got the update and uploaded it via SoundJam without a hitch. I didn't even lose the saved audio on my Rio, which it says that you very well might.

Note to anyone else getting the firmware this was -- the remaining "exe" file is apparently the utility that updates the firmware on a PC. On a Mac, SoundJam takes its place, from what I can tell.

I've seen reports from PC users with the new firmware that they're getting double the battery life on their Rio. Since I was getting 8 - 10 hours MAX on my Rio, this would be a welcome change.

Is anyone else experiencing longer battery life after the update?

Again, thanks to everyone for their input, and I am now good to go. . . .

Metzen
Jun 15, 2000, 11:17 PM

How do you apply the update? Do you just drop it in the SoundJam folder, boot up SoundJam, connect the Rio than it updates or what? All I hear is it updated. But no one says how.

Please Advise

Sam I Am
Jun 16, 2000, 02:43 AM

Well the guys over at Casay & Greene deserve a lot of credit... Not only did they fix my problem they did it within 24 hours, not many companies can claim that.... Thanks again

[This message has been edited by Sam I Am (edited 06-16-2000).]

wendo
Jun 16, 2000, 02:43 AM

I read on the SoundJam message boards that one person, once updating their firmware, was unable to upload songs to their player. Someone who replied said that Rio was aware of the problem and it would be addressed in a subsequent firmware release.

Those of you who've updated their firmware via SoundJam with the PC firmware, have you experienced any such problem, or other problems?

I downloaded the 2.1.2 firmware from Xool's iDisk (thanks xool!), yet I'm hesitant to install it for fear of losing the ability to use my Rio.

Since the people at Rio have been taking so long in getting the firmware out for Mac people I don't want to wait weeks for upgraded firmware to rectify a possible problem.

Let us know...

wendo

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2000, 03:14 AM

Grrrrr. I don't have OS 9 and can't get into the iDisk. Can someone post this in a more accessible place or email the firmware file to me?

Thanks

Dave Corder

Metzen
Jun 16, 2000, 08:44 AM

Ok, once you download it from me @
http://homepage.mac.com/trententtye/rio5_211.cnt

Please give me instructions on how you updated your Rio please.

Thanks,

Trentent Tye

jrobbin
Jun 17, 2000, 12:42 PM

Diamond has released new Rio 500 firmware 2.1.2 that is compatible with the Macintosh. It can be downloaded from "ftp://ftp.diamondmm.com/pub/multimedia/rio/pmp500_firmware-mac_212.hqx".

Instructions are included in the archive for how to upgrade your Rio 500's firmware using SoundJam MP 2.1.

Jeff Robbin
Author of SoundJam

Buran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2000, 10:24 PM

My Rio came with SoundJam 1.1.1. I can't get the SoundJam 2.1 update from the SoundJam web site to update it ("This version is not updatable..."). I managed to download the Rio firmware....

But how to install it? I can't seem to find an update to the version of SoundJam I've got that will work with it.

What am I missing?

------------------
If you go to Za'ha'dum, you will die...

macintostie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2000, 06:01 AM

don't download a update but a hole new version. that should do it.

macintostie

eselbst
Jun 18, 2000, 08:28 PM

Do you need soundjam mp plus to update the rio? Cause every time i open up soundjam with my rio on (yes it's connected),nothing happens! The rio menu doesn't even show up! I think I'll just stick with soundjam my rio came with and update at a friends house, unless one of you guys...

eselbst
Jun 18, 2000, 09:21 PM

Read my above message then read this

Guess what, I can't even change my music with the old rioport soundjam. When I turn it on nothing happens!!! I am MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody please help me. Here is my email address: [email protected]

ssevenup
Jun 19, 2000, 12:28 PM

I upgraded my Rio 500 via SoundJam this past wekend, The update appeared to work correctly. I was able to see the newer version number in the Rio menu, but it refused to power off after the update without removing the battery. Now every time I reinsert the battery and power up the Rio it just displays a grey screen. It is for all intents and purposes "dead". I have yet to contact Diamond. I read of one other person on UseNet with the same symptom and no solution. I assume it will have to be shipped back to Diamond :-(

[email protected]

Buran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2000, 10:26 AM

Downloaded the SoundJam update and got the firmware updated... but now I have to keep telling Soundjam that I really don't feel like upgrading right now! every single time I run the software. I already paid for an MP3 encoder and a player; I don't want to upgrade Soundjam. I just want to use it to manage the Rio.

Isn't there a preference I'm missing somewhere to make it shut up? I've gotten no response from C&G yet. I can't say that I'm happy with them so far.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules