Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 DVD-RAM question

G4 DVD-RAM question
TATungseth
Feb 4, 2000, 04:13 AM

I have a question that I'm sure someone out there knows.

I have a G4 with the stock DVD-RAM drive. I've successfully formatted, written, and read from Maxell DVD-RAM media.

So I tried a bargain media -- "Hotan" DVD-RAM disks.

When I try to insert the disk, the drive takes a little while, and then I get a dialog box indicating that the disk needs to be formatted. However, the only selection I get is for "ProDOS 0k." I don't get the selection that I do with the Maxell for the usual 2.6G formatting.

Anyway, when I make that selection anyway, I get a dialog that "the disk could not be formatted because it is protected." I've checked and double-checked, and it is write-enabled.

Any suggestions out there? I would really like to get these disks to work since they are like 1/3 the price of the Maxells. Of course, it's not worth it if they don't work. . . .

Thanks so much!

Jason Weng
Feb 5, 2000, 04:51 PM

I have the same, DVD-RAM on a Sawtooth 450, I bought my first Hotan DVDRAM. Of course, it was a big mistake, it doesnt' work on my drive, it just does nothing, not even a format box pops up. Next stop: brand name DVD-RAMs

[This message has been edited by Jason Weng (edited 02-05-2000).]

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2000, 11:38 PM

I purchased Hi-Val 5.2GB media from buy.com for only $15!!! I haven't used the DVD-RAM drive much, but I haven't had problems with the media or formatting it.

-Dave Lindsay

Forum Links
Forum Rules