Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VIDEO_TS folders to DVD image?

VIDEO_TS folders to DVD image?
posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 8, 2012, 10:26 PM

hello all

so it has come to pass that i have (paid for) the entire collection of Sir David Attenborough’s nature documenteries: however, i do not have the discs - the data is all in VIDEO_TS folders full of .VOB files

(my laptop’s optical drive is hosed. the mac i used to copy the DVD’s VIDEO_TS folders is no longer available and i've donated the discs to a school)

now, i can view them on my computer using VLC. my question is, how can i restore these VIDEO_TS folders to DVD images to put on a cross-platform thumbdrive for my daughter’s enjoyment/education - she does not have a computer, but does have a TV she can plug into

thank you

posthumanus

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2012, 10:42 PM

You can burn them again to DVD, assuming she has a DVD drive (toast, popcorn, other tools)?

Or, you can rip to other formats. It depends what her tv can read really, but you'll likely end up needing Handbrake.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2012, 11:25 PM

Instead of burning them, use Handbrake to convert them into computer video files.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2012, 02:40 AM

DVD Imager is free. That will create burnable DVD disk images.

I second the Handbrake suggestion.

OreoCookie
Feb 9, 2012, 05:32 AM

Ditto. I was surprised* to find out that you can plug in USB sticks (and presumably also hard drives) in many modern TVs and play back all sorts of video files.

* I haven't owned a TV for almost 14 years now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by posthumanus View Post
now, i can view them on my computer using VLC. my question is, how can i restore these VIDEO_TS folders to DVD images to put on a cross-platform thumbdrive for my daughter’s enjoyment/education - she does not have a computer, but does have a TV she can plug into
Most such devices will not support DVD images. Plus most TVs will not support exFAT or NTFS, which means that you may not be able to use file sizes over 4 GB. That's changing though. Many newer devices can support exFAT.

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Feb 9, 2012, 04:46 PM

brilliant

thanks

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2012, 05:08 PM

Our new receiver can take a USB stick, but not as many formats as I'd like. What I'm most pleased with is the DVD player can recognize .mkv files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules