Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] Pacifist 1.6 released: Compatible with Panther

[ANN] Pacifist 1.6 released: Compatible with Panther
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2003, 12:04 AM

Title says it all. I have released version 1.6 of Pacifist, which is compatible with Panther.

For those that don't know, Pacifist is a package extractor/custom installer for Mac OS X. It allows you to open .pkg and .mpkg files and extract individual components from them. This can be handy if a particular system component or application, such as Sherlock, becomes damaged and you want to reinstall it without reinstalling all of Mac OS X. Pacifist is also useful as a diagnostic tool, since it can scan the files on your hard drive, compare them to the files in the package, and note any differences or missing files*.

The download link to the new version is here:

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist_1.6.dmg

Users of Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) can click here and avoid the garbage file:

disk://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist_1.6.dmg

In addition, there is a version in .zip format, for users whose Disk Copy or Disk Utility application is damaged:

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.zip

*This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 12:29 AM

Awesome! Thanks Charles!

<brownnose> Great app, btw </brownnose>

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 02:16 AM

Groovy, daddyo!

Thanks, Charles!

Originally posted by CharlesS:
*This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
Yes, indeed, and Go Bears!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by brachiator:
Yes, indeed, and Go Bears!
Yep, a lot of cool stuff came out of Berkeley. Such as BSD Unix...

Also, the cksum command-line tool, the source of which I incorporated into Pacifist, in order to improve performance and also to stop relying on the BSD Subsystem being installed. In order to do that, of course, I have to credit Berkeley any time I mention the verify feature in my advertising. So that's what that disclaimer is about.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules