Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > ADVC + Imovie question

ADVC + Imovie question
devmage
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 08:07 PM

Greetings,

I did searches but I couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I bought a ADVC-100 based on the raving reviews from people here and elsewhere. Works great to it seems.

So I dump my first VHS I had, just a little over an hour long into Imovie 4. It all went well and then I load up Idvd and it tells me the movie is too big. When I look the movie is HUGE, 19.4 gigs to be exact. Yet I can find no options to do anything about the compression its using.

What would I use to compress my imovie project a more so it fits on a DVD.

Thanks for any Assistance you can provide.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2004, 08:27 PM

something you need to understand, is the size of the file doesn't matter, only the length. iMovie uses the DV codec for performance over compression. DVDs use the MPEG-2 codec for mild compression and pretty-good performance. Internet codecs like MPEG-4 and WMV use lots of compression (at the expense of speed and often quality).

So you really have no option to control the compression iDVD uses to fit your file on a DVD, and in fact that is a major feature of iDVD (and all iApps): they hide such complexities from you.

Now, why is it saying the file is too big? iDVD1.0 (I think) had a limit of 60 minutes. iDVD 2 introduced an option to extend that to 90 minutes in a "reduced quality mode" (I honestly can't tell the difference with my DV source material). iDVD4 allows up to 2 hours (I think they did this by finally using audio compression as well as video). So, either you're misunderstanding the error iDVD is giving, or you only have iDVD1, or you're misunderstanding exactly how long your video is. (or maybe you've found an iDVD bug). So, give more specifics. What version of everything (iMovie, iDVD, MacOS, QuickTime), what kind of hardware, and most importantly, exactly what the error says and what you did to prompt it

devmage  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
something you need to understand, is the size of the file doesn't matter, only the length. iMovie uses the DV codec for performance over compression. DVDs use the MPEG-2 codec for mild compression and pretty-good performance. Internet codecs like MPEG-4 and WMV use lots of compression (at the expense of speed and often quality).

So you really have no option to control the compression iDVD uses to fit your file on a DVD, and in fact that is a major feature of iDVD (and all iApps): they hide such complexities from you.

Now, why is it saying the file is too big? iDVD1.0 (I think) had a limit of 60 minutes. iDVD 2 introduced an option to extend that to 90 minutes in a "reduced quality mode" (I honestly can't tell the difference with my DV source material). iDVD4 allows up to 2 hours (I think they did this by finally using audio compression as well as video). So, either you're misunderstanding the error iDVD is giving, or you only have iDVD1, or you're misunderstanding exactly how long your video is. (or maybe you've found an iDVD bug). So, give more specifics. What version of everything (iMovie, iDVD, MacOS, QuickTime), what kind of hardware, and most importantly, exactly what the error says and what you did to prompt it
Your correct I did not understand that. It would have been neat had it worked like you said it would. It is 90 minutes long I assumed it would fit, I'm very much a newbie so I apologize. I have IDVD4 right now my encoder settings was set to best quality and it said it was too big so I set it to best performance to see if it said that too (even though it says 60 minutes next to it) and of course it did.

So specifics are:
G5 running OSX 10.3
ADVC Video into IMovie 4
IDVD 4 to dump to DVD
Video is 90 minutes long

As I try it this time however to get the exact error it doesn't do it. Perhaps I some how did the wrong thing the first time. I'll give it a shot again and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your time though! Ahhh newbies don't you love us

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2004, 12:08 AM

so, you're saying the problem is gone now? well, if it's not I can't really help further since I don't have any version 4 iApps. But keep being specific about what's happening and there's a better chance someone else might have the answer

Forum Links
Forum Rules