Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > FrogPad - Got one? Want one?

FrogPad - Got one? Want one?
Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 05:36 PM

FrogPad

So, I recently discovered the beauty of Remote Desktop Connection to control my Win PC. Now I don't have to touch the thing and I don't have to use my USB switch to connect my keyboard to it. Yay!

So this opened new doors in my world of peripherals. Becuase, up till now, I had to keep the wired keyboard and mouse so that I could easily switch it over to the PC. But now that I'm not switching at all, my Al Powerbook is begging for a BT keyboard or at lease a mouse.

The other thing that came to mind is hey look, my Powerbook has a really nice keyboard already - quiet, soft, and backlit! But it has one major flaw. No number pad. Doing Temp work when looking for work in the past led me to become quite capable with the number pad, and the number row does not come close.

So, if I could just get a BT number pad I'd be so happy! Logitech has that new DiNovo set which includes a detachable number pad, but it costs $250!

Anyway, too make a long story short, that puts us up above the range of the soon to be released BT FrogPad. I was wondering if anyone has used the USB version, and if it is a powerful tool or a big old gimic?

Sorry to tell you my life story.
( Last edited by Casper Crane; Mar 24, 2004 at 07:01 PM. )

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 03:22 AM

http://www.frogpad.com is the official site.

It looks to be an interesting device. I may try to get my hand(s) on a lefty bluetooth to see if I can get use to writing code with it. The lefty seems more logical since I'm a righty with a mouse in my hand.

They're designing the BT Frog smartly with an internal lithium ion USB rechargable. I'm going to give feedback to see if they'll do a BT mouse the same way, until there is a BT mouse with Lithium batteries, I won't buy one.

Also, Linda noted that they're doing a BT headset for Macs and Cells.

http://frogpad.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=58

Interesting company and they working well with Mac development.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Apr 9, 2004 at 04:12 AM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 01:07 PM

Also if you anyone is interested the company seems quite open to suggestions so I suggested a mouse with the following specs:

BT
right, left, and thumb button with scroll wheel
internal lithium battery that recharges by USB that you of course can continue to use while charging.

Their BT keyboards will recharge the Lith Ions by USB so why not a mouse with a customizable thumb button.

Since all the current BT mice are crappy battery lifed, environmentally damaging, and not so Mac friendly I thought I'd ask, perhaps I will receive.

Under a post by chadpole.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Casper Crane  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 09:06 PM

wow, thanks for the great information.

a headset might be interesting. the pad is priced a little insanely, but i'm sure i'll want one.

thanks also for suggesting a lithion mouse. i'm dying for a good bt mouse that has a good battery life.

oh yeah, can they make one that doesn't cost over $100?!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 08:36 AM

Hehe, I would hope the mouse would be less than $100, probably $99.99.

devmage
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2004, 11:21 PM

Has anyone actually got one of these things? I find it incredibly fascinating. I was wondering how difficult it is to pick up typing on it. What speeds you can type and and if it is any easier or harder on the wrists.

I was surprised to see full Mac support on their site when I first read about the thing somewhere else and was looking for feedback.

http://www.frogpad.com/information/macfroginfo.asp

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2004, 11:29 AM

After production delays in Asia, import delays and packaging delays I got mine 5 months after it was suppose to be delivered, I almost lost interest.

Initial Review

Construction: Poor
The hardshell cover that "protects" it fits so tightly it scratches the surface. The frogpad sticker will probably fall off after a month. The rubber feet will probable fall off after first transport.

Performance: Good
Key action is very similar to latest powerbooks, very good. The layout of the keys is coming to me very quick using their typing tudor. Bluetooth pairing was easy as the Apple keyboard. I've only spent a hour on it and can do most letter by memory with a few brain farts.

Recharges by usb, but it has to be off while charging. Came with a zip Linq usb cable, nice touch. Of course it can be used in conjuction with the Powerbooks keyboard and can double as a numpad or your upside down arrows with all your home, page ups, etc close by. Have to try it with gaming.

No idea for battery life yet.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 26, 2007, 01:36 AM

Hey Crusoe,

How do you like it so far?

Anyone else try it? I'm interested, but I don't know if I want to learn a new keyboard layout.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2007, 03:30 AM

I'm curious about this device as well. I am a very fast typer on a qwerty - I've been looking for something new from a keyboard.

I still remember when i switched to a microsoft natural keyboard in college, it was alot of fun changing the one device that I use all day for something that felt "different".

Switching back to a mac laptop was another experience a few years later. Now I'm thinking of trying a devorak or maybe one of these - or going back to a natural keyboard now that I will be working at a desk with a cinema display.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Forum Links
Forum Rules