Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > should I wait for a powerbook?

should I wait for a powerbook?
psy111
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 07:16 PM

I was to get a powerbook this december, but im wondering if a new one will come out soon after. I heard that a new pb update will be in oct/nov but it will be g4. I can wait until summer of next year, but will a g5 pb come out then? (BTW i am going to get 12", but maybe a 15")

Filburt
Sep 26, 2004, 07:18 PM

If you can wait, wait. If you can't, don't.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 07:40 PM

summer of next year is a year away. if you want to wait that long, maybe the G5s will be out
iamwhor3hay

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 07:55 PM

The next update is going to be a G4. I'd wait until at least next month, and see if there is any more rumbling in the rumor mill before buying a PB.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 12:06 AM

I'd wait.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 01:40 AM

Wait. Even if you do end up buying the same machine a month or two from today it will be cheaper, and I'm positive we'll see something either next month or in january. It's anyone's guess at the moment, though.
Aloha

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 02:36 AM

sounds like me when i was about to leave for college. in my senior year of high school i waited and waited for powerbook updates. after falling in love with the machine, and reading way too many rumors, i finally bought it with $200 rebates from Cram & Jam, in August.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't wait as much. Apple is unpredictable and I'd rather have a nice machine, especially since I am switcher and need to learn things.

Sell yours off if you find a future model you'd rather have. Wait till Jan. Keynote at least, I'd say.
Looking forward.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 05:26 AM

It's unlikely a G5 PowerBook will be released anytime soon (at least I hope not my Rev C is only a few months old LOL).

Word has it that if Apple do upgrade the PowerBook it will be a G4 boosted to perhaps 1.5 or 1.6 Ghz instead of the current 1.33. If that's true it's really not a lot of difference.

Me personally I know when I made the decision to upgrade from my iBook I couldn't hold out and rushed to buy my PowerBook. I haven't ever regretted it.

If you have a strong will then wait, otherwise getting the current Rev C would still be a great investment for you.
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 07:45 AM

In Soviet Russia, Powerbook waits for you!

15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
In Soviet Russia, Powerbook waits for you!

psy111  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 12:12 PM

I can wait, but if nothing happens by the summer of 2005 ill get the latest one. I got a 20gb ipod only a month before the 4g came out with only a $300, not $400. That pissed me off, I hate apple's secretive about new/updated products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules