Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook heats up at 0% CPU usage, fans kick in

PowerBook heats up at 0% CPU usage, fans kick in
t_hah
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 10:03 AM

So my PowerBook is getting old. I am expecting this thing to die on me any time soon. It is almost two and a half years old (PowerBook G4 DVI 800).

For some very strange reason in the past two days this computer would get reallly hot for no reason. I can just leave it idle (0-5% CPU usage) on my desktop and in about 10-15 minutes the fans would kick in. The PB gets really hot.

I know that something is not working properly. I am thinking that something has happened with the CPU cooling set-up, but I do not know much about it. Do you guys have ideas on what to check and how?

Thanks,

t

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 10:44 AM

I have an ALBook 12" Rev. A and sometimes the fans seem to be on for no reason. I shut the lid and sleep it for a second then the computer is back to normal. I may also run it at reduced processor speed, even when plugged in. It tends to keep things a lot cooler. In addition, try the iCurve or another stand that elevates your PB and lets it stay cooler.
Looking forward.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. I really doubt that the two symptoms can be compared. I have had this PowerBook for about two years now and I now almost all of its weird problems. Heat was not one of them two days ago. Especially not when the computer is idle.

Here at work the A/C is really nice and the fans don't kick in, but the surface of my PowerBook (just sitting idle) is almost burning hot. This is definitely not normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules