Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nvidia Geforce 6800 Gt Ddl

Nvidia Geforce 6800 Gt Ddl
devmage
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2004, 11:10 AM

My wife told me for Christmas I could get a new video card.

Originally I was thinking the ATI 9800 Pro 256MB card, I have a Dual G5 2.0 with the gimped ATI 9600 Pro at the moment. I can't play WoW with full clip plane at native res of my 20" Cinema display which bugs me to no end :b

Anyways when I was looking around again and I noticed they have a slightly cheaper, and supposedly more available GForce 6800 GT now. I can't find any reviews of it however.

Did anyone get one for Christmas? Hows is the performance, and Noise level :b I know I'll be taking some hit there since the 9600 Pro doesn't even have a fan on it :b

Thanks!

P.S.
I did get a Logitech MX1000 for Christmas which totally rocks
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2004, 12:39 PM

The only difference between the two is the memroy bandwidth. The 6800 Ultra supports 35.2 GB per second while the GT supports 32 GB per second. My feeling is they don;t get enough GPU's off the die to produce the 35.2 GB's reliably they had to release a slightly downgraded card to make up for it. I doubt you will notice the 3.2 GB per second (relly the only place it may come to play is in very intense large video work) and teh hundred dollars off the price of the Ultra is nice.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 01:09 PM

The memory bandwidth difference is just an effect of what they do to the cards. The cause is the clock speed - the 6800 Ultra has a core running at 400 MHz and memory running at 550 MHz (1.1 GHz DDR). The 6800GT has a 350 MHz core and 500 MHz/1 GHz DDR memory. So while the 6800GT has a slightly lower fill rate and memory bandwidth, they are still pretty close, and the GT costs a lot less. Other than the clock speeds, they are the same.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

devmage  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2004, 01:25 PM

Glad I looked before I leaped again, it looks like going with the 9800 Pro at this point would be a bad idea. I should get the most life out of the 6800 GT. Only thing I'm still wondering about is noise :b

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by devmage:
Glad I looked before I leaped again, it looks like going with the 9800 Pro at this point would be a bad idea. I should get the most life out of the 6800 GT. Only thing I'm still wondering about is noise :b
It's not all that loud. When the fan spins up, though (which is rare when you're not gaming) it is noticeable (certainly over teh default 38 dB or whatever), but not awful.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by devmage:
Anyways when I was looking around again and I noticed they have a slightly cheaper, and supposedly more available GForce 6800 GT now. I can't find any reviews of it however.
Reviews & benchmarks here [barefeats.com]

Forum Links
Forum Rules