Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Porsche drives

Porsche drives
hickey
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 09:10 AM

Has anyone here had any good experience with the Lacie drives designed by F.A. Porsche? I've been given mised reviews on them before, but not from people on any mac forums. It will primarily be used for storing my video that I shoot, that way I don't load up my 80 gig internal drive. Thanks in advance.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 10:50 AM

I have two 250 GB drives for photography file backups and they have worked without problems for the last 6 months. I have to note that they are not on 24x7 just when backups or file access is required.

jfobart
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 11:49 AM

I looked long and hard at the Lacie drives (all the different ones) when I started to need external drives for extra storage- but I just couldn't justify their price for their performance.

Check the drive your looking at and find out it's RPM speed & cache memory- then compare that to buying an off the shelf drive and putting it in an external case yourself- I found I could save a few $$ and get a much faster drive by going that self- assembly route.

Good luck!

99RedSi
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 01:06 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the 250GB Lacie Porsche drive is actually 7200RPM - isn't that fast enough? I think it also has 8MB cache...
Mac Mini C2D 1.83/1/80/10.5.5
iMac G4 20" Superdrive 1.25/1.25/80/10.4.9
iBook G4 12" 1.33/512/40/10.4.9
iPod Video 30GB / Shure e4c Earbuds

hickey  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 02:29 PM

yeah i was definitely going to get a 7200 rpm drive, and i think it has that and an 8mb cache too. Thanks for the input

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2005, 02:31 PM

I had a client that had about 5 for backups at their small office. They seemed to work find and I saw no speed issues, although I wasn't using them for video editing or anything else disk-intensive.

You are paying a premium for the look, but if that is a major buying point for you then the Porsche drives are one of the sleekest looking drives around.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 10:38 PM

Actually lately on the wholeseller side those drives have been cheaper to purchase then the same D2 drive. For some reason they haven't been as popular in sales as the D2 and due to that the prices have been lowered. I have seen a few places that pass this on but you need to look around.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Chito
Senior User
May 7, 2005, 10:43 AM

I've got a single 250 that I use for video work and I'd like to get another. I love the fact that the drive is absolutely silent and small enough to tote around when I need to take a project on the road. And yes mine is 7200 rpm with an 8 mb cache.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

toffe
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 11:08 AM

Haven't got the experience yet, since my order hasn't arrived yet. I first ordered one with usb2.0 but changed the order into one with firewire400 (faster on mac).

Forum Links
Forum Rules