Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rumor Mongering re: 13" Powerbook

Rumor Mongering re: 13" Powerbook
MathewM
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 01:27 PM

I think we pretty much all know there is going to be a Powerbook update this September. The most obvious overhaul, if there is to be one will be the 12" Powerbook. I can't see continued strong sales with the recent upgraded feature set of the 12" ibook regardless of a processor upgrade. So what I'm expecting is a 13" or maybe 13.5" widescreen Powerbook release. Same rez as the current 15" with a similar feature set as the current 12" with a price of $1500. I think this would sell like crazy. I mean most of us are looking at the ibook and thinking "wow, great value but it's not a Powerbook".
( Last edited by MathewM; Aug 21, 2005 at 01:35 PM. )
I'm outta' here.

toneloco28
Aug 21, 2005, 03:13 PM

I think there is a certain inevitability of a 13" widescreen pbook. However; there won't be a change in form factor until the Mactel machines arrive, so this September is out of the question. Since the inception of the 12" powerbook, many have questioned it's perceived value relative to the iBook, yet sales still remained strong. Sorta like how people said powerbook sales would tank unless there was a g5 in them like a year ago. What i realized is that, either Mac users are the most loyal bunch of consumers, or that most simply don't know or really care.

MathewM  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 05:36 PM

One reason the powerbook sells so well is the enclosure. It looks and feels like something James Bond would use. Plus the keyboard feels so much better. iBooks just feel cheap in comparison.
I'm outta' here.

sxates
Aug 21, 2005, 05:40 PM

Everything feels cheap in comparison

And really, with current pc prices, everything IS cheap in comparison

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 21, 2005, 05:54 PM

I want a 13" widescreen 1152x768 PowerBook Yonah in 2006.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2005, 05:40 AM

...and I hope there'll be the option to have a slightly higher res screen in the same PB that Eug is getting

The only reason I don't have a 12" PB any more is that the screens aren't as nice as those in the bigger models.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by toneloco28
I think there is a certain inevitability of a 13" widescreen pbook. However; there won't be a change in form factor until the Mactel machines arrive, so this September is out of the question.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme
The only reason I don't have a 12" PB any more is that the screens aren't as nice as those in the bigger models.
This is EXACTLY why I went with the 15" Powerbook instead when I bought it in 2004. I really wanted the 12" Powerbook, but the screen was not impressive.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 07:04 AM

It's possible Apple might not hold a widescreen 12-13" form factor change until the Intel conversion. They know they need to keep sales up until then. I'm personally likely to wait for the first generation of Mactel at this point. What could make me buy in September? A widescreen form factor.

Apple might have to add some bells and whistles to pump sales in the next 12 months.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2005, 08:07 AM

And if it does go wide screen then there is scope for fitting that bit more in, such as a PC card slot, firewire 800, etc and we can have a proper powerbook.

Tim916
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 11:30 AM

If Apple offers a 13" widescreen in the next round of revisions, I will be buying one.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2005, 11:37 AM

I wish I would be buying one...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme
...and I hope there'll be the option to have a slightly higher res screen in the same PB that Eug is getting
It's always nice to have options...

My beef with the 12" is not the rez (as you've already guessed), but the screen quality.

I think the 15" & 17" PowerBook screens have a better viewing angle and contrast. The 12" isn't bad. It's just not as good.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 08:15 AM

I doubt we'll see a standard aspect ratio 12" with a better quality screen. If Apple is going to go to the trouble of changing screens, they'll go widescreen at the same time. I agree that the 12" screen is terribly lacking compared to the 15 and 17 models. It's the same as the iBook screen which provides little incentice to pay more for the PowerBook if you find the speed of the iBook satisfactory.

I know we'll get a widescreen model eventually, it's just whether or not we get it with this update, and whether it will be a 12 or 13 model. I'm betting on 12" because 12" widescreens seem to becoming the next commodity size, and Apple won't want to pay extra for a unique size. And I'm betting on getting the widescreen with this round of updates because of the need to keep sales going without major CPU speed changes possible.

habibman
Aug 23, 2005, 01:41 PM

Hi, does anyone strongly believe that there will be a 12" update? Rumors stated 15" a nd 17" only...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by habibman
Hi, does anyone strongly believe that there will be a 12" update? Rumors stated 15" a nd 17" only...
I strongly believe that there will be a 12" update.

G4 7448 1.6 GHz
12" 1024x768 screen (same one as before)
Mobility Radeon 9600
Etc.

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 04:24 PM

Yes, I believe (hope) there will be a widescreen 13 inch model. Some have alluded to the fact that we won't see a new form factor until the Mactels arrive.

However if the Intel thing has been in the works for some time now, could the new Powerbook form factor be designed in such a way that either motherboards would fit?

That said, nothing also says the new Mactel Powerbooks could preclude the low end PB to begin with.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 04:24 PM

My guess is that the issue of New Designâ„¢ before Mactel PowerBook vs No New Design â„¢ is one of the issues where everyone following logical reasoning will (hopefully) be proven wrong by Apple. I mean, how often has everyone of us been miles apart with his/her predictions regarding Apple's decisions? Whether they did it far better than expected (PowerMac G5 dual 2 GHz, iMac G5 2 GHz) or far worse (Mac mini "RAM-Update").

Do you really trust Mactel PowerBooks are comming in summer '06? I don't, so my bet is new 13" ws PowerBook with the next update or it's EOL.

Well, and - I want one!
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Aug 23, 2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spellin)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by blindemboss
Yes, I believe (hope) there will be a widescreen 13 inch model. Some have alluded to the fact that we won't see a new form factor until the Mactels arrive.

However if the Intel thing has been in the works for some time now, could the new Powerbook form factor be designed in such a way that either motherboards would fit?

That said, nothing also says the new Mactel Powerbooks could preclude the low end PB to begin with.
No, there must be a case change for the Intel transition. People need to distinguish.

And I really cannot imagine not all PowerBooks going Intel the same time...

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
No, there must be a case change for the Intel transition. People need to distinguish.

And I really cannot imagine not all PowerBooks going Intel the same time...
I disagree. I doubt every Mac model will see a new case design when going to Intel. Assuming the eMac is still in the lineup and we have every reason to believe it will be, it should still be a white gumdrop. The iMac design should live on, it's brand new. The iBook could be due for a design change because it's been several years, however, it's best if its design doesn't change for continuity in the education market. The PowerBook could very well see a design change. The PowerMac is a couple of years from switching and it's likely that by the time it is converted it will be ready for a design change.

Therefore, I think the shift to Intel is just one factor in whether the case design will change, not the most important factor.

I think the issue of whether we'll see a widescreen 12" model now is impacted by the shift to Intel. Apple may prefer to release a widescreen now to keep sales up, but if they have to re-tool for a new motherboard in 6 months, they won't want to modify the case design now.

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
Apple may prefer to release a widescreen now to keep sales up, but if they have to re-tool for a new motherboard in 6 months, they won't want to modify the case design now.
Precisely. The 12" PB has sadly been the blacksheep of the family since it's inception. I think it's about time it grows up. While still a nice machine, it needs to be significantly improved (i.e. widescreen) to further distinguish it from the recently upgraded iBooks or just EOL'd.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 10:58 AM

Actually, looking at high-end windows notebooks (compatible in features and specs) I have been finding that name brand products are on-par with Apple offerrings lately. Actually the smaller you go on the Windows side they tend to start costing more than what Apple is offering.

I was looking at the little Vaios yesterday and the two smallest ones were more money than Apple. That little one is $2300 and the slightly larger one is $2100. Featurewise very similar to the powerbook. I didn't notice the screen size but they both were widescreen.

A 13" widescreen powerbook and i'd think about upgrading.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2005, 08:56 PM

Hopefully it will have video-out built-in. When was video-out taken away in the first place? —what a spectacular downgrade. In terms of widescreen, I am only interested if it has higher pixel density and also much better quality; the current 12" screen looks terrible next to a 15" screen.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 05:25 AM

It does have video-out built in. A miniDVI port.

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2005, 06:52 PM

A lot of people want small machines for ease of travel. For giving presentations, Mini DVI is no good. DVI and VGA are the standards. Dongles are stupid. Granted, Apple should be given credit for putting DVI capability in such a small machine (AFAIK, no small PCs have it). But if you forget that dongle for a presentation, you're in big trouble.
( Last edited by tie; Aug 25, 2005 at 07:08 PM. )

jamesl
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 04:21 AM

I am looking to purchase a powerbook, as I am starting a Broadcast media & website development course at university in september.

Howevr, I cannot decide what computer to go for! I currently have a G3ibook, which obviously is old, and in need of replacement! However, do I go with a powerbook or an iBook?

If powerbook, should I wait til after september and then buy? And what size would I be best to go for, considering im not that rich!

Or if iBook, should i stick wit the 12 inch model, as I understand thge screen isnt very good on the bigger 14inch ibook?

Any help much appriciated!

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 09:55 AM

James -

First things first, wait until September. Secondly, if you do a powerbook, I would highly suggest the 15" especially considering your focus in media/broadcast. If the iBook is the way you go, definitely the 12". Both the 12" and the 14" have the same resolution, so all the bigger screen gives you is more fluff, no more real-estate on screen. Looks less-than-sharp to me too.

Like I said, I would suggest the PB over the iBook, but these new iBook G4s are nothing to shake your head at. The obvious advantage of the Powerbook is the faster HDD, Better screen/video (very important to media), video out, faster bus, more expansion, etc.

Plus, let's be honest.. The PB is just sexy..

Kyle
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

MathewM  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 04:25 PM

Well to hold me off buying I decided to rip apart my old Ti400 and upgrade the hard drive and the OS to Tiger. Very nice improvement right off the bat. Window resizing is now virtually in real time and it's nice to see Quartz giving me some image effects off of an 8meg video card. That's not to say that I wouldn't be tempted by a 13" widescreen PB with all the bells and whistles.
I'm outta' here.

Frans
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mgl
I'm betting on 12" because 12" widescreens seem to becoming the next commodity size, and Apple won't want to pay extra for a unique size. And I'm betting on getting the widescreen with this round of updates because of the need to keep sales going without major CPU speed changes possible.
Check out the Sony Vaio S-series: they have 13" (wide)screens and they are fabulous. I had one, the screen was all I ever wanted. The rest was terrible though, so that's how I switched to Mac....
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Frans
Check out the Sony Vaio S-series: they have 13" (wide)screens and they are fabulous. I had one, the screen was all I ever wanted. The rest was terrible though, so that's how I switched to Mac....
I think that's where we are going, fingers crossed. Those machines are that bigger than the 12" and have all the lovely other stuff that would make a powerbook more powerful. Apple will just make it more beautiful.

radii_22
Aug 26, 2005, 06:58 PM

What 12 inch PB needs is a better quality display. I don't know really how are they going to do that, because there is a complex roadmap of transitions in the future, enclosures got to be changed with the introduction of Intel processors (Merom for the PB, Yonah for the iBook, in juin 2006 [Macbidouille.com]). Other sources say that Apple is also going to augment the density of their entire display line, because of the HD requirements. So many changes, and so many new technological requirements, that it is difficult to predict their roadmap.

I think it is not inconceivable to postulate that they can improve displays in the current line (13, 15, 17), more resolution, and a slightly different form factor in the smallest PowerBook (yeah, kinda Vaio).

The hit will be the really next generation in summer 2006, I agree that the use of high tech plastics (as carbon fiber) is going to be the next thing.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tie
A lot of people want small machines for ease of travel.
And that should be the way to distinguish the small form factor Macintel Powerbook from the current 12-incher. Can there possibly be a better time to introduce an Apple ultralight? No 12" iBook could possibly compete with a 3/4" thick, 2.5 pound Powerbook Mini. The problem with a widescreen 13" PB is that it would bring an unconventional form factor onto the market. There are many cases out there that fit 12" PBs and competing subnotebooks. A wider laptop wouldn't fit these cases.

Originally Posted by tie
For giving presentations, Mini DVI is no good. DVI and VGA are the standards. Dongles are stupid. Granted, Apple should be given credit for putting DVI capability in such a small machine (AFAIK, no small PCs have it). But if you forget that dongle for a presentation, you're in big trouble.
In such thin machines, there's just no way to include a full-size DVI connector on the chassis. There are other ways to mess up presentations anyway. What if instead of forgetting the dongle adapter, you forget your AC adapter and the Powerbook drains the battery before the presentation? Wouldn't you be in even worse trouble?

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 10:42 PM

Hmm, now I'm confused. Apple announces they are going to continue buying chips from Freescale until the end of 2007, a whole 2 more years. If Apple is going to go to Intel, just go ahead and do it when the new chips arive (Yonah for iBook/Mac Mini, Merem for PowerBooks, and conroe for PowerMacs and maybe iMacs). What product line then would still be using the G4? And if the G4 is still in use, than I would assume the G5 would also still be in use (since it is a better processor. What, than, is left to use intel?

I too hope to see a 13.3" widescreen PowerBook next month. Hopefully with DDR2 and maybe even an X-Brite like screen. Those 13" Sony's with the X-Brite screen are soooo nice to look at. I'm trying to decide between the two right now. I want to stay with the Mac, yet the Sony's specs, weight, and screen are just so much nicer than the PowerBooks. Apple's portable hardware is really falling behind pc notebooks (specs, weight. screens, battery life, performance), and they need a big update to be able to compete until the Mactel switch (they can't reley on the case and OS alone). Apple can't go until the Mactel switch without a sub-15" PowerBook on the market. They need something to compete.

toneloco28
Aug 27, 2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jaw3000
Hmm, now I'm confused. Apple announces they are going to continue buying chips from Freescale until the end of 2007, a whole 2 more years. If Apple is going to go to Intel, just go ahead and do it when the new chips arive (Yonah for iBook/Mac Mini, Merem for PowerBooks, and conroe for PowerMacs and maybe iMacs). What product line then would still be using the G4? And if the G4 is still in use, than I would assume the G5 would also still be in use (since it is a better processor. What, than, is left to use intel?
This agreement is likely in place for the procurement of chips for warranty, and repair purposes. A person purchasing a machine before the end of the year with Applecare is covered, until around the end of 2008. Fittingly, its exactly around the timeline for this agreement. So i think it's nothing more than Apple covering their ass, should some unforeseen problem arise in the existing g4 machines (i.e g3 logic boards).

havocidal
Aug 27, 2005, 05:02 AM

steve DID say that it will be a slow transition to intel.... and even nxt yr and 2007... there will still be powerpc-powered products from apple...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tie
Dongles are stupid. Granted, Apple should be given credit for putting DVI capability in such a small machine (AFAIK, no small PCs have it). But if you forget that dongle for a presentation, you're in big trouble.
Keep it in your case if it's that important to you. Then you'll never forget it. And if you do, you're the stupid one, not the dongle.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

kilechki
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 04:47 PM

If Intel based powerbooks are not shiped before march or april 2006, then we would basically spend the next 8 or 9 months after september without any updates, although Apple's laptops are long overdue for major changes, both in design and performance. This is especially true for the PB 12, which gains the "power" appellation only through its aluminium case.
Alas, I would find most surprising to see the PB gain more than a minor speedbump in september. The only time an Apple computer got a chip change without case redesign was in 2004 with the iBooks getting a G4. This was, however, because no major change could be achieved without threating the Powerbook line. I can't see Apple designing a whole new G4 based 13" PB only to end it abruptly in april or may 2006.

Pfff... 2005, morne plaine....

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Titanium Man
The problem with a widescreen 13" PB is that it would bring an unconventional form factor onto the market. There are many cases out there that fit 12" PBs and competing subnotebooks. A wider laptop wouldn't fit these cases.
Please; haven't you noticed how fast new cases and other products come to market after new notebooks and iPods are released?

manofsteel300
Aug 29, 2005, 02:33 PM

woah. is apple seriously not going to release intel laptops until june 2006?

I really want to buy a new powerbook because i don't know how much longer i can wait with my pismo.

Is there no chance that they will release a merom laptop at MWSF?
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Forum Links
Forum Rules