Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 is out!

10.4.3 is out! (Page 3)
dscottbuch
Nov 1, 2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by dscottbuch
10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6 on both an iMac G5 and a Powerbook G4. Eyehome launches, waits about 30 sec. then quits. Hope el gato fixes fast.

Found out that going back to 1.5.2 of Eyehome give a workable solution for now.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 03:13 AM

My favorite feature upgrade:

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2005, 03:35 AM

Does 10.4.3 contain native Mighty Mouse drivers? Meaning will 10.4.3 recognize the extended functionality of Mighty Mouse w/o having to install drivers from the CD?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 06:00 AM

yay! iTunes doesn't go all slow when an iPod is plugged in

It all seems a bit more 'together' - smoother

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 07:11 AM

Hmmm - I'm getting an odd thing: Anyone else?

Double-clicking the title bar of a window no longer minimises it to the dock. Just tried safari, mail and a third app. Safari's yellow 'gem' is greyed-out!

I'm sure it was working properly last night.

edit - Logging out and in again fixed it, but that was weird.

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 07:28 AM

Somebody used Front Row Welcome to 10.4.3 Diggory!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 08:29 AM

ahhh......

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 10:02 AM

I had that happen occasionally with my last PowerBook. If you Force Quit/Restart the Finder it fixes it too. I never did figure out what was causing it.

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock

Double-clicking the title bar of a window no longer minimises it to the dock. Just tried safari, mail and a third app. Safari's yellow 'gem' is greyed-out!

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 10:08 AM

Quitting and relaunching the app (including Finder) should "fix" the problem.. Until it happens again.

misc
Nov 1, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Wow I thought I was the only one having this. It happens on the brand new 15" powerbook all the time. So frustrating. What causes this!!!! It makes wireless worthless.
It was brought up on MacNN's main page a little while ago. http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/10/...k.ram.problems

And it linked to a current Apple support thread. http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 01:36 PM

I had this happen too. Running the hacked Front Row will definitely do this. However, when I noticed your post I had just rebooted and hadn't run Front Row yet ... but I still couldn't minimize Safari. Regardless, the "fix" I figured out for the minimize bug in Front Row still works. Basically all you have to do is run an app like QT or MS Remote Desktop in fullscreen mode and then shut it down. This restores minimize functionality in all running apps.

OAW

tigas
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 02:37 PM

After halving in 10.4.2, dashboard widgets' memory usage is back to "normal" (meaning, even the lowliest widget is burning at least 15MB of memory). Safari now passes the Acid2 test in production form, so that must mean a new Webcore/Webkit; let's see if they remove the debug code <wink> in the next update and we'll be back to 8 MB widgets.

mdimport seems to be reindexing my whole disk again, so we may have a major Spotlight upgrade in our hands - as seen by reports that it's working better now.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2005, 03:52 PM

Attempted to upgrade on my G5/Dual1.8.

Dead as a doornail. DiskWarrior wasn't able to recover the directory information, but believed it could reconstruct it. The reconstructed disk doesn't seem to be booting either, though. Booting in verbose mode talks about some kind of 'I/O Error' but isn't any more specific than that. It's definitely getting further along than before the repair, though, when the disk would thrash so hard while trying to boot that the fans kicked in full-blast.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Attempted to upgrade on my G5/Dual1.8.

Dead as a doornail. DiskWarrior wasn't able to recover the directory information, but believed it could reconstruct it. The reconstructed disk doesn't seem to be booting either, though. Booting in verbose mode talks about some kind of 'I/O Error' but isn't any more specific than that. It's definitely getting further along than before the repair, though, when the disk would thrash so hard while trying to boot that the fans kicked in full-blast.
Try unplugging every peripheral and start up disk warrior to see if it passes the SMART tests.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

gangster
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Heh. Ironically, on my G5 (iMac) it was 57 MB, and on my Cube it was 97 MB.
57mb on my g4 dp800

tokamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 04:29 AM

Front Row doesn't run on all Mac any more with 10.4.3 update... :-(
But it seems ForeverGeek has the solution, with a new AppleScript code.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 07:59 AM

Hey, guys...
I'd never even *heard* of Front Row before this thread on the OS upgrade. And still don't know what it is: seemed logical to look at VersionTracker, but nooooo...

OK: so I google it to discover it's Apple hardware?!? But only comes w/ (or is an accessory with) the iMac G5? Have I got that right? (Serves me right for never looking at any hardware other than a PB.)
Is Front Row not an option/issue for other Mac owners?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
Anytime, here's another "way":

no piracy here! for 10.4.3

Okay, so I know this is not a Front Row thread... but does anyone know what iDriveX INTENDED to post as a link (this is a blank)?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 08:42 AM

He had linked to a file he was hosting, but it looks like tooki removed it.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2005, 02:15 PM

I think it's a bad idea to use the name delta for an update as it sounds like an unfinished release. Alpha, beta, gamma, delta. I guess I'll get used to it though.

I'll download this and see what happens but I'll backup my data before installing. I'm looking forward to a better Finder and faster Spotlight most of all.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 2, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by osxrules
I think it's a bad idea to use the name delta for an update as it sounds like an unfinished release. Alpha, beta, gamma, delta. I guess I'll get used to it though.
I suppose...if you look it that way (especially knowing that not everyone has a scientific background.)

But delta is still widely known as 'change' or 'difference'

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 05:42 PM

unintentional post

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Try unplugging every peripheral and start up disk warrior to see if it passes the SMART tests.
Unplugging my peripherals allowed me to boot the machine. Now to figure out which one was causing the problem. I suspect my external FireWire drive (FW400, not FW800), but I don't understand why that would make a difference; I don't even have OSX installed on that drive.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
my firewire broke...what do i do? help
Originally Posted by Millenium
Unplugging my peripherals allowed me to boot the machine. Now to figure out which one was causing the problem. I suspect my external FireWire drive (FW400, not FW800), but I don't understand why that would make a difference; I don't even have OSX installed on that drive.
Hmmm, can anyone else confirm if there is an issue with firewire? I rely on my external FW HD quite a lot and I'd rather not upgrade if there's something wrong. I remember the firewire issues with 10.3.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 06:47 PM

Im using my external hd that holds my itunes library. No problem with it yet btw im on an ibook G4
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 07:03 PM

AirPort 2005-001 has been released and is in SU.

This update fixes reliability and resolves AirPort compatibility issues with certain third party 802.11 cards and access points for Mac OS X v10.4.3 and later.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
My favorite feature upgrade:

Just noticed this.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2005, 12:09 PM

My firewire drive is working fine.

For those that are having problems, what size was your update file?
Mine was 57mb.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I have two FW 800 drives (LaCie d2 Triple Extreme) and a FW 400 audio interface connected to my Powerbook, and I am not seeing this issue.

FWIW.

JustSpaztik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 12:50 PM

Ever since I updated to Mac OS X 10.4.3, I've been having weird icons happening. I'll save an .ai file from Illustrator and the icon will show up as a Preview.app document and when I double click it, it opens in Illustrator.

Today I saved a PDF (from Illustrator) and it too showed up as a Preview.app document and when I double click it, it opens in Acrobat Reader... and another weird thing is... in the Finder it says that the file size is "Zero KB".

I tried resetting my Launch Services and it didn't fix the problem. Just to be clear, I didn't have this problem before I updated to 10.4.3. Is anyone else having any similar problems to this?

(At least I didn't talk about menus this time )

EDIT: Here's an image of what it looks like:

Also, can someone please let me know how to post a thread? Safari keeps timing out every time I try and I am not doing anything wrong. I used to be able to post threads and it says below than I can post threads. I even tried using a different user name and that didn't work either... is anyone else having trouble posting topics?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 3, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
Just noticed this.
It would have been funny if the 'c' in Cocoa was capitalized and if it wasn't refered to as a 'programming language'.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 01:04 PM

That always happens to my Finder windows! I lost the ability to minimize them, and the amber button is disabled. I have to relaunch the Finder to get proper functionality back.

The problem started in 10.4.2 but is still present in 10.4.3.

JustSpaztik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
That always happens to my Finder windows! I lost the ability to minimize them, and the amber button is disabled. I have to relaunch the Finder to get proper functionality back.

The problem started in 10.4.2 but is still present in 10.4.3.
Hmm... I've never seen this happen. Do you have any third party hacks enabled... WindowShadeX maybe? I don't run APE modules and I don't have this problem (yet, thank goodness).

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2005, 10:31 PM

I just upgraded and everything seems to be working fine but I was expecting a bigger performance improvement. Spotlight seems to be about the same for me as well as Safari. No firewire issues that I can tell and I don't get any problems minimizing.

One thing I should say is that I've read there is a pretty serious bug for users of NVidia cards so if you have one don't upgrade. 10.4.3 causes major performance problems so games and 3D software runs at much lower framerates than they should. I don't know if it affects all cards but the Geforce 3, 4 Ti and MX at least are affected.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 10:56 PM

Only the lower end or older nVidia cards are affected. The high end cards actually got a nice boost.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Nice to see that Mail still doesn't auto-hide at login.
Sorry to bump this, but I finally upgraded, and still find this NARCISSISM on the part of Mail very aggravating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules