Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > fan noise iMac dual Intel core

fan noise iMac dual Intel core
KCtheDOG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 08:01 PM

Hi,

I was having problems with my iMac not starting. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. I found on Apple's site that if I unplug all the cords, wait 10 seconds, then plug the power in while holding down the power button I would reset the SMU. Worked like a charm. Now, however, the thing sounds like a jet taking off and won't stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2006, 12:10 AM

My 1st gen imac G5 had some similar symptoms. I was instructed to go into disc utility to check S.M.A.R.T. Sure enough, my HD was shot. Maybe not the same problem but may be a place to start.
My Blog-pakos.me

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mumbodog
Hi,

I was having problems with my iMac not starting. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. I found on Apple's site that if I unplug all the cords, wait 10 seconds, then plug the power in while holding down the power button I would reset the SMU. Worked like a charm. Now, however, the thing sounds like a jet taking off and won't stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I read in the Apple support forums that if you follow the same procesure AGAIN, it resets the fans.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 07:28 AM

i have the same mac and no problems but i totally understand your problem because my powerbook did that. good luck seriously i hope you get it fixed. apple is very stupid about this problem, or at least it was six months ago. they will want to hear the noise at an apple store or applecare facility and verify it's not "normal range" good luck
Looking forward.

Calamity Jane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 05:27 PM

The fan on my imac got stuck on max after a sudden power cut due to faulty surge protector. The advice to hold down the power button while switiching on the mains fixed the problem (thanks VERY MUCH) and I can now work on in wonderful peace and quiet.

timinky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2008, 04:04 PM

what are the typical fan speed rpm's most intel duo core iMac users
are seeing? My 20" Alum iMac after downloading iStat widget, show
the following fan speeds (while just surfing the internet))

cpu fan 1200rpm
hard drive 1198rpm
optical drive 998rpm

are these the norm?

tim

Forum Links
Forum Rules