Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro RAM: where to buy?

Mac Pro RAM: where to buy? (Page 2)
oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 06:13 AM

Talk about a wild price fluctuation.

The 1GB kit at Crucial is now up to $299.99!!

Yikes.....

I should have bought when it was $199.99 just 12 hours ago.

Don't use the size tag! OreoCookie
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 7, 2006 at 07:57 AM. )

Michael Ash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 07:18 AM

Insane. And the 2GB kit is up to $500. I wonder if this is intentional.

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Ash
Insane. And the 2GB kit is up to $500. I wonder if this is intentional.
I noticed the price change today too; I bought a Mac Pro over the weekend from my local apple store and figured I'd order the ram today at work. I apparently shouldn't have waited.

Its got to be intentional. Those prices are now in line with OWC's $500 2x1GB kit so I guess they're pricing according to market. I did try resetting my browser but was unable to get a lower price.

I think I'll stick with the base 1 gig for a month until prices settle.

-Xy

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 02:15 PM

So its now the same price as getting a 1 GB kit direct from Apple? That's not something I would have expected!
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

idyll
Senior User
Sep 5, 2006, 09:09 PM

Just wanted to report that I got the Kingston sticks from Newegg with regular heatsinks and my Mac Pro has been running fine for about two weeks now (I never shut it off, only put it to sleep occasionally).. Not too hot, no fan problems

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by idyll
Just wanted to report that I got the Kingston sticks from Newegg with regular heatsinks and my Mac Pro has been running fine for about two weeks now (I never shut it off, only put it to sleep occasionally).. Not too hot, no fan problems
Any reported ECC correctable errors?

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus
I noticed the price change today too; I bought a Mac Pro over the weekend from my local apple store and figured I'd order the ram today at work. I apparently shouldn't have waited.

Its got to be intentional. Those prices are now in line with OWC's $500 2x1GB kit so I guess they're pricing according to market. I did try resetting my browser but was unable to get a lower price.

I think I'll stick with the base 1 gig for a month until prices settle.

-Xy
Hey Xyrrus,

How is your new Mac Pro doing on just 1GB of RAM?

Do you think an average user can get by on 1GB?

idyll
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 02:52 AM

No reported ECC correctable errors.

As for getting by on 1GB, it's possible, but 3GB really makes things a lot smoother. Especially apps that run in Rosetta, such as Photoshop. With 1GB it is barely usable and stalls every now and then but with more it is finally usable. Same with Aperture. When I can I will add even more ram to speed things up.. Makes a huge difference.
I think the average user can get by on 1GB, but I do not think the average user would be purchasing a Mac Pro, but rather an iMac or the like. A Pro machine really runs best with lots of ram.

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by oneear
Hey Xyrrus,

How is your new Mac Pro doing on just 1GB of RAM?

Do you think an average user can get by on 1GB?
I have 1GB in my aging 1Ghz G4 powerbook and it's fine on that machine. I do mail, IM, Web and some light photoshop work (color correcting digital cam files, etc). Even Lightroom beta runs ok. Now that I have the Pro at home I'm expecting to use the laptop much less.

I have 2GB in my dual 2.0 G5 at work and it isn't really enough. I keep illustrator, photoshop, dreamweaver and a slew of other stuff open and at times I can definitely feel the pain if I'm really pushing it. Aperture also seems to really suck ram up - its one of the biggest things I'm looking forward too on the Pro, so I'll definitely want to go to 2 once prices settle. I'm hoping to be able to move to 3-4 in six months depending on how the market is.

Honestly, I've only spent about 2 hours with the Pro since I got it on monday so I can't really comment on that exact machine. It all depends on what you do - for an "average" user I'd say one gig is fine for OSX. That's assuming you keep a bunch of smaller apps open + 1 or 2 "big" apps (or one game). Also watch your dashboard use - those little widgets will suck up a quarter of a gig before you know what hits you. (I disable it on all my machines, for fwiw). At work we've spec'd out minis with 512 for general office use and I haven't heard complaints.

What sort of things are you planning on using the Pro for and how tight is your budget?

-Xy

Michael Ash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2006, 08:44 PM

My Crucial RAM arrived today. I installed it about an hour ago and it seems fine. It came in a hilariously large box. Pictures here:

http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial1.png
http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial2.png
http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial3.png

The machine is so much better with the extra RAM. I went from the default 1GB up to 3GB. Build times for a large project I have went from 100 seconds cold/80 seconds warm (warm being the second build, since stuff is already in caches) down to 65/55, which is a pretty impressive improvement. I can actually start X-Plane without grinding the entire computer to a halt while it's launching, and I can use other programs while it's running. And overall everything is just vastly snappier.

Fortunately for me and unfortunately for many of you, I bought my 2GB from Crucial right when it was cheap, for $400. I'm still happy I waited for the cheaper prices, but it's really great to have the extra power now.

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 01:17 AM

I have 1GB in my aging 1Ghz G4 powerbook and it's fine on that machine. I do mail, IM, Web and some light photoshop work (color correcting digital cam files, etc). Even Lightroom beta runs ok. Now that I have the Pro at home I'm expecting to use the laptop much less.

I have 2GB in my dual 2.0 G5 at work and it isn't really enough. I keep illustrator, photoshop, dreamweaver and a slew of other stuff open and at times I can definitely feel the pain if I'm really pushing it. Aperture also seems to really suck ram up - its one of the biggest things I'm looking forward too on the Pro, so I'll definitely want to go to 2 once prices settle. I'm hoping to be able to move to 3-4 in six months depending on how the market is.

Honestly, I've only spent about 2 hours with the Pro since I got it on monday so I can't really comment on that exact machine. It all depends on what you do - for an "average" user I'd say one gig is fine for OSX. That's assuming you keep a bunch of smaller apps open + 1 or 2 "big" apps (or one game). Also watch your dashboard use - those little widgets will suck up a quarter of a gig before you know what hits you. (I disable it on all my machines, for fwiw). At work we've spec'd out minis with 512 for general office use and I haven't heard complaints.

What sort of things are you planning on using the Pro for and how tight is your budget?

-Xy
Hey Xy,

Thanks for the Info!

As for my plans for my Mac Pro. Lots and lots of Photoshop. (can't wait for CS3!!)

Also I am always transfering old vinyl records to aiff. Then cleaning up pops, clicks and other sound blemishes.

My budget is tight. But I know my pirorities and high on the list is my new Mac Pro.

I ordered 2GB of RAM from Small Dog Electronics after reading the following:

http://blog.smalldog.com/article/328...or-the-mac-pro

They have a current special offer that made the final cost, including 2-day delivery, $371.

My Mac Pro came today and my additional ram will be here on Friday.

Soon after I'll let everyone know how things work out with the additional RAM.

-OneEar

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 02:05 AM

They have a current special offer that made the final cost, including 2-day delivery, $371.

My Mac Pro came today and my additional ram will be here on Friday.

Soon after I'll let everyone know how things work out with the additional RAM.

-OneEar[/B]
I'm quite curious how it'll turn out. I checked their prices on the 512 chips, and the price per DIMM is $125. While a good price for certain, its not all that much lower than the price of Apple's memory if you have an educational discount ($270 vs $250). The price on the 2 gig kit seems to be a much better by from small dog than apple.

Clearly the market is still trying to figure out how to price these things. All I know is 1 gig isn't enough for aperture

-Xy

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Ash
My Crucial RAM arrived today. I installed it about an hour ago and it seems fine. It came in a hilariously large box. Pictures here:

http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial1.png
http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial2.png
http://www.mikeash.com/tmp/crucial3.png

The machine is so much better with the extra RAM. I went from the default 1GB up to 3GB. Build times for a large project I have went from 100 seconds cold/80 seconds warm (warm being the second build, since stuff is already in caches) down to 65/55, which is a pretty impressive improvement. I can actually start X-Plane without grinding the entire computer to a halt while it's launching, and I can use other programs while it's running. And overall everything is just vastly snappier.

Fortunately for me and unfortunately for many of you, I bought my 2GB from Crucial right when it was cheap, for $400. I'm still happy I waited for the cheaper prices, but it's really great to have the extra power now.
I'm a little curious about the 3 gig setup. You have 2x512 then 2x1GB? Is there supposed to be any speed difference having different size chips spread out across the 2 daughtercards? (Put another way, is there any benefit to running pairs of pairs?)

-Xy

Michael Ash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 06:56 AM

I'm a little curious about the 3 gig setup. You have 2x512 then 2x1GB? Is there supposed to be any speed difference having different size chips spread out across the 2 daughtercards? (Put another way, is there any benefit to running pairs of pairs?)

-Xy
I honestly don't know how it works in this case. My understanding is that some accesses will end up being faster than others, depending on whether it's on the 2GB that's paired or the 1GB left over, but I may be wrong. In any case, I think having more RAM and therefore avoiding swap will outweigh any possible speed benefits from having only 2GB but paired, and I wasn't ready to spend for 4GB. If anyone can think of a good test to see just how fast my setup is compared to someone with identical pairs, I'd be happy to run it.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 03:22 PM

Are these heatsinks removable? If so, I can remove the sinks from the two stock 512MB sticks and put them on some less expensive 2GB sticks and still save a ton...

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
Are these heatsinks removable? If so, I can remove the sinks from the two stock 512MB sticks and put them on some less expensive 2GB sticks and still save a ton...
Great idea! But, if they are "glued" in place you might want to consider something like these heatsinks from Theraltake.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/c...ry/ramsink.htm

If the RAM I get from Small Dog seems stable, but still a little hot, I was thinking of adding a set of copper heatsinks.

But, would this affect the warranty?

-OneEar

cavaleriesoldaat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 12:44 AM

Actually, Apple Harvest Computing is selling the Apple Spec and Certified Mac Pro Ram for about half the price of the Apple Store and OWC. They also have the 2gb chips. (Apple Harvest Computing - Mac and PC...that YOU can afford!)

I have nothing but good things to say about the ram and accessories I've gotten from them

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=cavaleriesoldaat]Actually, Apple Harvest Computing is selling the Apple Spec and Certified Mac Pro Ram for about half the price of the Apple Store and OWC. They also have the 2gb chips. (Apple Harvest Computing - Mac and PC...that YOU can afford!)

The prices are a bit better on the smaller GB sticks, but not much better on the 2 GB... AND somebody correct me if I'm wrong, BUT those don't look like the monster heat sinks we've come to expect to need...

milhouse
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 08:08 PM

My OmniTechnologies RAM has been running well for over a week now. I ran several Rember cycles while encoding with iTunes, running Safari, mail, graphic converter, Mathematica etc and there were no errors.

When I made the purchase on a Friday it was ~329 for 2BG (2x1GB). The following week it was well over 400.

Anyhow, stock heat spreaders and they've been working quite well.
"-Dodge This"

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:58 PM

Crucial's 2GB kit is out of stock. This sucks. Why did I wait so long to get my RAM. Probably because my stupid Mac Pro hasn't shipped yet. That's what I get for ordering at 1:00 the day it was announced. @#%@# Apple.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 12:00 PM

crucial and dynamic prices:

will everyting clear if you get rid of the cookies?

Kingston 1gm from newegg are only 180: does the group think the heat sink with kingston will be OK?

cheers
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 05:21 PM

I need to know where to buy RAM from. Crucial's prices go up every second. Maybe I have to go to an unused computer and try again. I need advice! Can someone help?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 06:12 PM

Crucials prices have stabilized at $300/1GB, $500/2GB, and $1100/4GB... I haven't seen any memory of similar quality for a lower price with the extra large heatsinks.

MacKeyser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 03:38 PM

I have always used Ramjet and purchased tens of thousands of dollars of memory from them without a single problem (well, one came DOA, but they replaced it with next day shipping on their dime).

This time, I think I'm going Transintl.com. Their memory has 6 fins and should dissipate heat at least as well as Apple stock memory.

Also, I'm buying the 8GB kit (4x2) which is the fastest way to get to 8GB since 4 modules is optimal, less doesn't fully use the 256bit bus and more slows things down with 2 mem modules per channel, or so the tests indicate. And I want to be sensitive to heat issues. I don't have air conditioning in my home and I want to be as kind to the internals as I can since the ambient temp can be close to 90 during the summer (and that is near the beach!)

I am leary of the heat spreaders vs. the heat sinks with fins. In a temperature controlled environment with A/C and good venting, they may be fine. And Intel would never expect you to run a server outside of such an environment, but for home use?

For me, better safe than sorry. I'll go Ramjet if they get close to Transintl's prices, but that big sink with 6 fins sure seems like a good deal to me. Plus, the 8GB kit (4x2GB) is only $1899 (which is funny because the 16GB kit (8x2GB) is $3999.

Guess someone didn't do the math on that one...

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 10:05 PM

As I posted earlier I ordered 2GB of RAM from Small Dog Electronics. They have a current special offer that made the final cost, including 2-day delivery, $371.

What I got was WinTec memory from DMS.
http://www.datamem.com/_memory-information/_img/665.gif

As you can see the DMS heatsink is not like the Apple heatsink. I already knew this would be the case because Small Dog Electronics stated that on the web site.

Note: The DMS heatsinks are very HEAVY. The way I see it, two relatively thick slabs of metal dissipate the heat just fine.

I have put the memory through the ringer by testing it with the "Rember" memory utility for a total of 24+hours (eight hours each night for three nights). No errors reports, kernel panics or lock ups.

I ran the following programs simultaneously:
Photoshop CS (a true memory hog)
Aperture
iTunes (converting 150+ songs from MP3 to AAC)
Word
Safari

After a couple of hours my Mac Pro was very quiet and still problem free. Both the Apple RAM and the DMS RAM are very warm to the touch.

-OneEar

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 01:25 PM

As I posted earlier I ordered 2GB of RAM from Small Dog Electronics. They have a current special offer that made the final cost, including 2-day delivery, $371.
Up to $390 now... Looks like a repeat of the price hikes at all websites. However, I wouldn't get the big 2 GB sticks with those small(er) sinks, IMO you're asking for trouble unless you live in a freezer...

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 01:56 PM

I got my Kingston 1 gb sticks from new egg just now and put them in

system much much faster

long term I can't say if heats a problem

Im happy enough now it seems like the $70 Crucial is charging for those heat sinks is a little much

lookiong at the ones on the 512 that came from apple no way is that aluminum worth 70/stick

some one will sell them soon. they seem to just click on easily

in the end Ill go with the copper peel ons if I think the fan kicks up

it might be more of an issue with the 2BG/stick

don't know really

but this really really smells of price gouge-ing to me

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

that_owl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 02:12 PM

Okay - just found this thread....so I just ordered two OWC 512s like this:

512MB PC133 CL3 3-2-2/PC100 CL2 2-2-2 168 Pin SDRam for PowerMac G4

from OWC - to max out a 2001 G4 Quicksilver's memory.

Are these okay? Or should I cancel?

that_owl

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 02:40 PM

Err...

This thread is for Mac Pro RAM. Why are you asking about your G4 Quicksilver?

that_owl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 02:45 PM

Apologies. I missed that. I'll delete. Or a moderator can. My mistake.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by idyll
More RAM = more heat. Substandard modules may work fine now, then flake in the future when you add additional RAM (and heat) or if you work more aggressively.

Purchasing anything less than best quality RAM from best quality vendors has always been a risky idea.

-Allen Wicks

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 03:39 PM

SD:

I agree with everything you say.

what remains to be seen is this: quality RAM is quality RAM for sure.

I used to always get Kiinston then went to crucial. I bet both their RAMs are quality.

now Heat with MegaHeat sinks is a new issue.

could this have evolved as a wy for Apple to sell more of its RAM in BTO? one notes that its always more expensive to buy from Apple when you can buy from its suppiers. Apple does not make its own RAM

now apple as a company can charge what they want, for sure.

it remains to be seem if these Megas are really worth it. the Kingston RAM has a lifetime guaranteee for the MacPro.

again, maybe the Mega Sinks at $70/stick will keep the fan rotating at a lower speed if you get a *******Lot****** of RAM sticks an have then a *******Lot****** of heat

Apple has taken a lot of Heat

in the past for noisy computers.

again time will tell on this.

but it seems a little odd right now with supplies and prices.

cheers

rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 03:44 PM

also I forgot to add too bad there don't seem to be thermistors to monitor the temp of the RAM as there seem to be for the various HD's and CPU's using the program

Themperature Monitor

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by rotuts
SD:could this have evolved as a wy for Apple to sell more of its RAM in BTO?
I doubt that since there have already been reports of people encountering ECC errors. I know I could've gotten regular FB-DIMMs for far less than what I paid for large heatsink ones, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. At least if anything starts going wrong, the quality of the RAM won't be in the back of my mind.

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by justmetoo
Up to $390 now... Looks like a repeat of the price hikes at all websites. However, I wouldn't get the big 2 GB sticks with those small(er) sinks, IMO you're asking for trouble unless you live in a freezer...
What I ordered from Small Dog Eletronics was a 2GB KIT and the price has not changed at all. They have Two Special Deals till the end of this month.

http://www.smalldog.com/specials/41151

You can save an additional $3 on shipping by entering the following coupon code when you get to the shopponc cart. bone00000001 If you use this code and chose 2 day shipping your total price is $368.

BTW- still no problem with the DMS momory from Small Dog Eletronics.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 09:56 AM

I wonder who makes Small Dog stuff same price as Kingston

and I agree $70/ stick is not unreasonable for peace of mind

had Crucial had them in stock when I wanted I would have initially gone there

then they didn't then they started charging more and more

will try to find and error checking program to test out the Kingstons

any suggestions?

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 12:42 PM

I wonder who makes Small Dog stuff same price as Kingston

and I agree $70/ stick is not unreasonable for peace of mind

had Crucial had them in stock when I wanted I would have initially gone there

then they didn't then they started charging more and more

will try to find and error checking program to test out the Kingstons

any suggestions?

cheers
Launch System Profiler and click on memory. If there are any errors, it will be show under "Status".

You can also use Rember to test the RAM. Kelleycomputing.net

oneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 04:00 PM

I wonder who makes Small Dog stuff
Small Dog Electronics is selling DMS memory which is made by WinTec and looks like this.

http://www.datamem.com/_memory-information/_img/665.gif

I found peace of mind after reading the following post on Small Dogs Blog.

Still no problems with the RAM I got from them.

-OneEar

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:12 PM

Chef: thanks for the RAM tester tip I tired it for 10 cycles and everything was OK

OneEar: my kingston looks exactly like your SmallDog

Ive had no errors for 48hrs with the machine on all the time doing stuff

fan noise is the same

heat out the back is sl up but the fan is large volume slow speed.

My cat has a sleeping area behind the machine and very much approves of the low noise, low speed flow of warm not hot air

so the MacPro is Kitty Approved!

if I knew how to add a jpg of the snoring cat I would!

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2006, 10:08 AM

Chef: thanks for the RAM tester tip I tired it for 10 cycles and everything was OK
I think a better test would be to let it run continuously for at least several hours (more if possible) to really stress the RAM and see if heat becomes and issue and if ECC errors occur. 10 cycles is not really going to stress anything.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:31 PM

My cat has a sleeping area behind the machine...
How often do you clean out your machine? Seen any BIG fur-balls in yer heatsinks yet? Sorry, couldn't resist...

Back on topic: I wish I could provide a link to this site [EDIT: Mac Pro user reports/tests of FB-Dimms about half way down... I suggest you read the whole thing], but I've read that the small heat-sinked RAM is running somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 degrees Celcius or more, hotter than big-sinked sticks. This report from OWC [take that as you will...] used direct temperature determination. They concluded that there likely wouldn't be an issue with only a few of the small sticks (512's), but would be an issue with the big-sticks 1 or 2 GB's... especially when more slots were filled.

IMO, I wouldn't buy the small-sinked RAM, unless I put larger aftermarket sinks on them (some people are doing this), BUT then you void your warranty, so you're screwed when they ultimately foul-up. It looks like a waste of money either way, small sinks with inadequate heat dissipation, or the bloated-price of the large-sinked.

I'll continue to wait till something resolves on this issue, and if more people could wait (I perfectly understand that some can't...) instead of buying at the premium price, then we would be empowered rather than the price gougers.

Just my thoughts...
( Last edited by justmetoo; Sep 15, 2006 at 01:52 PM. )

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:05 PM

JMT:

I agree withyou completely

BTW the toasty air low flow goes out the machine, directly to the Kitty, Not the other way around

Ive read all that was in the article and its an excellent ref.

a another Q comes up: yes having 8 sticks of something has to double the heat from 4

but Im sure after a certain amount of RAM, depending on ones use of course, that Delta more might not really get used or if all sticks are used as all the CPU's are then they are used less

my predicion is that soon someone will sell the exact clip on now being used by Apple and Crucial separately which is differnt then the glue on copper ones I thought about adding those might void a warrenty\

but maybe not

don't know where the excellent ref to the guy that showed how to do this w kingston RAM the copper glue on sinks are at newegg

sorry don't know how to copy and paste it here

If someone tell me how to add a JPG Ill add one of Mr. Kitty (his screen name of course) and post it in the Lounge

will try to get the RAM checker going over nighgt

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:25 PM

of course going back to MacNN's main page I found this:

MaxUpgrades.com: MaxSink: HeatSink for Fully Buffered DIMM Memory Module

so its true you can buy a clip on if you feel you need it for less!

this is just what apple clips on its RAM ive looked

but Apple alummiun is Black and Cooler

maybe copper next??
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

Couple of things:
Barefeats.com Getting memory upgrades right on the Mac Pro stress-tested the RAM and found out the Wintec Data Memory Systems RAM to be within 1 degree of Apple's stock RAM... actually 1 degree cooler on the lower riser. All tested RAM - OWC, TransInt and DMS, were well below the Apple temperature guidelines

OWC is attempting to boost their sales by raising doubts; although they sell good RAM I personally am not impressed by this marketing approach (or their prices). I am biased on the matter, of course.

Replacement heat spreaders (Maxupgrade) will void the warranty of the RAM if you remove the factory spreader.

All DDR and DDR2 RAM has been going up in price strongly over the past week. Expect price changes daily or mor often from most vendors, as they run out of stock at the old prices.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 03:22 AM

My OWC RAM arrived (4x1GB). Heat sinks look like UnixMac's and as advertised... but they're black instead of red. Somewhat disappointed.

On the other hand, my system is very snappy now.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Couple of things: Barefeats.com ... stress-tested the RAM and found out the Wintec Data Memory Systems RAM to be within 1 degree of Apple's stock RAM... actually 1 degree cooler on the lower riser. All tested RAM - OWC, TransInt and DMS, were well below the Apple temperature guidelines
OK, Trev, can you read an article with an objective eye? Did you miss the part where they admit their data was "questionable"??? [see below, EDIT: AND they only ran the computer for 9 minutes?!? Why even bother???] Now, I'm not saying the Barefeats article is less or more reliable than what OWC has reported, BUT the bottom line is the MacPro RAM is running hot. Period. People reporting ECC errors on the small-sinked sticks are on all forums. Take that as you will. Is OWC making up temperature data to sell their RAM? Who knows, but in my opinion I do not have an opinion on that...

>>>from the Barefeats article:
We agonized over whether to publish the temperatures we sampled from the heat sinks. We have decided NOT to publish them because....
1. The temperatures varied by as much as 15 degrees on different runs.
2. We're not convinced measuring temperatures with an infrared gun is the most accurate method.
3. The temperatures of the heat sink doesn't necessarily reflect how hot the memory chips might be. Ideally, a thermocouple should be attached to the actual memory chips -- something we are ill equipped to do.
4. Different heat sink designs absorb and dissipate heat in different ways. Measuring the same spot on each can be unfair and misleading.
5. It could be argued that a hotter heat sink is doing a better job of absorbing heat. Then again, it could be argued that it's doing a worse job of dissipating heat.

Our purpose here is to inform. Posting a temperature graph based on questionable data just to create an artificial "horse race" would be irresponsible. We know you are spending good money for your Mac Pro memory so we want to be circumspect in our comments.
( Last edited by justmetoo; Sep 19, 2006 at 12:28 PM. )

cavaleriesoldaat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 04:23 PM

My sources tell me that the prices will continue to rise for a short time. Eventually, of course, they will plummet again.

Responding to a previous post, the 4gb kit I got from Apple Harvest runs great, and yes, it has the massive heat syncs like all the rest. I checked their prices again today, and like everyone else, theirs' have increased as well, but they are still one of the cheapest.

I've been using their' chips in all kinds of Macs at the University (Tech support guy) with great results. Highly recommended.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 10:05 PM

Given the similarity of all the prices, I figured I'd just go OEM and got mine from crucial.com

In the end looking for a deal over $20 is not worth it if I have to deal with any issues. Not that any of the others are sub-quality, but if I can get OEM at the same price, there is no reason to keep hunting.

T

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by cavaleriesoldaat
...the 4gb kit I got from Apple Harvest runs great, and yes, it has the massive heat syncs like all the rest.
Just making sure I'm reading your post correctly CS, since I had a look at the appleharvest link and the image of the RAM they present has the "smaller" JEDEC server heat sink.
SO, they're shipping them with the larger heat sinks then? Do they look like the Apple type or the OWC heatsink design? I'd just as gladly save the $70, but can't understand why appleharvest are not presenting the real product image
( Last edited by justmetoo; Sep 21, 2006 at 09:42 AM. )

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 12:48 PM

I just wanted to toss this out there. The ram that apple appears to put in the Intel XServes does not have any oversided sinks - just what looks to be standard spreaders. Granted, an XServer does not need to run as quiet as a Pro, but also the airflow in one of those cases looks much more restricted; especially if there are any PCIe cards in the back of the case.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...serve-hero.png

Just food for thought,

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

Forum Links
Forum Rules