Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro Firmware + SMC Update

MacPro Firmware + SMC Update
wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hey - just to let everyone know I completed all the updates and it went very smoothly. I also downloaded and burned a copy of the Intel Firmware restore CD for some piece of mind.

EFI Update:
Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac Pro (mid 2006) EFI Firmware Update 1.0

SMC Update:
Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update

Firmware Restore CD:
Apple - Support - Downloads - Firmware Restoration CD 1.1

PS. When you install the SMC update your fans will be loud for like 2 seconds.... and I mean loud, I almost fell over. We're all so accustomed to the super quiet setting, at full speed these suckers rock.

cpaek72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 05:18 PM

My hard drive now says ultra DMA mode 5!!! Everything is running smoothly.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 05:19 PM

I'll wait for those on the bleeding edge to try them and report back if there's any issues.

Besides any detail to what these firmware updates are addressing.
Michael

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 10:48 PM

Applied EFI and SMC updates. All ran without problem.

Still get the Virtualization Locked error with Parallels (latest build).

Also, About this Mac and Apple System Profiler tell me I have 1.95GB of RAM. Weird. Always said 2GB before the update. The ASP gives me an OK status for all 4 512MB DIMMs (all Apple factory memory). Anyone else see this??

Edit: Never mind... the memory thing is a side-effect of the new Parallels build. Kinda irritating, especially since the previous beta build worked just fine without the forced sub-2GB memory reduction.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 11:09 PM

I got the software update for the EFI but not the SMC, I wonder why?

Anyone know what the SMC update addressed? The EFI is "start up issues"
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 11:10 PM

Well, I just tried the SMC update and got an "Alert, this computer does not need this update" message.. so I guess mine was built after they did this fix..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by UnixMac
I got the software update for the EFI but not the SMC, I wonder why?

Anyone know what the SMC update addressed? The EFI is "start up issues"
I believe SMC stands for System Management Controller, but I am far from 100% on that. I think they must have had a few different revisions of that firmware floating around and they're trying to get everyone in sync. Looks like all it does it adjust some fan / temperature settings - I would not be surprised if it was for all the pre X1900 machines to be able to properly monitor that card and adjust how the fans work in that setup.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 01:27 AM

My computer is telling me that I don't need the SMC update, but I just tried Quake 4, and it played the same as with the 7300GT. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????

MacKeyser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Applied EFI and SMC updates. All ran without problem.

Still get the Virtualization Locked error with Parallels (latest build).

Also, About this Mac and Apple System Profiler tell me I have 1.95GB of RAM. Weird. Always said 2GB before the update. The ASP gives me an OK status for all 4 512MB DIMMs (all Apple factory memory). Anyone else see this??

Edit: Never mind... the memory thing is a side-effect of the new Parallels build. Kinda irritating, especially since the previous beta build worked just fine without the forced sub-2GB memory reduction.
Crap, I used to have the answer to this. Parallels maxes out at 3.5GB...well, actually it maxes out at 4000 MB. There is a setting via command line that will set the memory to the upper limit. In your case it would be 2048 instead of 2000. If you divide 2000 by 1.024, you'll find it equals 1.95GB ( or actually 1953.125MB). YES it is a fault of Parallels, but it can be corrected.

Here is the url:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...06090810203364

beginning with sudo...except type "maxmem=2048". You'll see your mem come back to 2GB.

- # sudo /usr/sbin/nvram boot-args="maxmem=4000"

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 06:52 AM

I noticed a lot of posts in the apple discussion forum about people having problems with applying the patches when you have raid 0 setup. It doesn't seem all inclusive as some people were successful but there' a lot of posts about those who cannot.
Michael

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
I noticed a lot of posts in the apple discussion forum about people having problems with applying the patches when you have raid 0 setup. It doesn't seem all inclusive as some people were successful but there' a lot of posts about those who cannot.
I was unable to apply it with my raid0 boot (but with no ill effects; it just wouldn't load) which makes sense - although I was curious about it at the time. Thanks for the heads up.

-Xy

Edit: Anyone know if this update affects the spare 2 sata ports on the motherboard? I couldn't get them to work with bootcamp originally and I'm wondering if they'd be visible to the xp installer now.
( Last edited by Xyrrus; Sep 20, 2006 at 11:21 AM. )
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus
Edit: Anyone know if this update affects the spare 2 sata ports on the motherboard? I couldn't get them to work with bootcamp originally and I'm wondering if they'd be visible to the xp installer now.
Are they active in MacOS?

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Are they active in MacOS?
I had a 160 drive in the optical bay off one of the motherboard's "extra" sata ports. It showed up on the OS X desktop and the boot camp assistant even saw it, but I never tried putting windows on it. I later filled up the 4 bays and hooked the 5th up. OS X still saw it, but the windows installer would only list the drives in the 4 bays.

My guess is that apple's EFI-BIOS bridge was only written to support the 4 bays. I haven't been able to try the latest firmware because my boot volume is RAID 0.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 04:21 PM

Does Windows XP work now? Did apple fix the SATA problem?

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005
FYI: in case Apple hasn't, and in case you haven't seen this:
http://macprojournal.com/xp.html

lizardgator
Sep 20, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005
Yeah, I'm curious about this too. I know there is a fix by
slipstreaming an XP disc but it would be nice if this firmware update fixes the problem.

cpaek72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

yes, it has fixed the SATA problem.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 11:08 PM

The EFI update didn't work for me. I clicked shut down in the updater app, and instead of shutting down it just restarted, did nothing, then restarted again, and then gave me the screen saying no boot disk was found. After shutting it down again (forced it off by holding down the power button), it booted back up into OS X without the firmware being upgraded.

I can get it to flash the power light if I hold down the power button for a longer time, but it still doesn't prompt the update. Anybody else experience this?
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Forum Links
Forum Rules