Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie Import Problem

iMovie Import Problem
devmage
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2008, 12:18 PM

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone has encountered this before. I have a first generation Mac Pro with Leopard, and iLife '08. It had been a while since I attempted to import video from my camera and I went to do so and it isn't detecting my firewire camera. Never had any problems with it before and it detects fine on my Macbook. So it seems like there is something wrong with iMovie. I tested other devices in the 2 different firewire ports and they work so I don't think it is that either.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: One other thing to mention, it does the same thing for both the old and new iMovies. Is it possible for my Firewire ports to work fine for say an iPod, but not the iLink port on a video camera?
( Last edited by devmage; Apr 20, 2008 at 01:21 PM. )

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 20, 2008, 08:59 PM

First thing is to insure the firewire port didn't go south. Also, do not have any other device plugged into other firewire ports. Could be a bad cable too or a loose connection. Try plugging the camera in, then firewire cable, then turn on the camera. Most DV camcorders are supported but its good to check to insure yours wasn't removed. What kind of camcorder do you have?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

devmage  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2008, 10:01 PM

The camera is a Panasonic GS-120 which connects fine to my Macbook, just not to my Mac Pro. I was thinking it was some sort of software issue because how likely would both firewire ports go bad at once? I am able to sync my old iPod through the firewire port which would indicate to me the port is working. So I was assuming it was some sort of software issue, what I don't know. I do get 2 different responses from the 2 ports. On the front port, I see nothing. From the back port it sees the camera for a second then says communication error. Maybe it is physical, but it just seemed so unlikely to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules