Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New nano as watch. Anyone?

New nano as watch. Anyone?
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2012, 10:57 AM

I'm fascinated with this, but it seems like there's still a lot to be sorted out. I picked up a nano in the fall to take to the gym, I'd like to expand what I use it for.

Couple questions.
Does anyone wear a nano like this?
Is there a way to keep the screen from timing out?
How about waterproof ness? What's apples's stance on a waterlogged nano with AppleCare? Especially if you buy the watch band from them directly?
How about battery life? A day or two?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2012, 09:38 AM

I know a couple of people who do this. I know one of them is very happy with it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2012, 10:10 AM

I've been wanting to do this since I got my nano, but got indecisionitis over what kind of wristband to get.

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I know a couple of people who do this. I know one of them is very happy with it.
Can you elaborate on this? Is the screen on full time? Have they had any issues with incidental water hitting the nano, say for washing their hands?

imacflowerpowerCRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2012, 03:48 AM

I really love the idea of a iPod nano as a watch, the wristbands are also useful when listening to music. I wish I could get one.
Long Live Flower Power iMacs!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Is the screen on full time? Have they had any issues with incidental water hitting the nano, say for washing their hands?
I'll go ask them for you.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2012, 08:58 AM

The nano is quite large as a watch, and I don't wear any kind of watch anymore anyway, since I have my iPhone in my pocket, so no.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2012, 09:44 AM

OK, so one of the people who I thought was doing this isn't. FWIW he says that wearing it as a watch would make you look stupid. Not you specifically obviously.

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks.

I'm not worried about the size, I have big wrists. It's more the 'if I spend this $20, will I ever use it, or will the band just get shuffled into some drawer somewhere?' question that's bothering me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 AM

Do you wear a watch now? If not, then you have your answer, esp. since the nano as a watch indeed looks a little stupid.

BTW, I have the arm band for my iPod mini. I do use it when I'm exercising or cutting the lawn. It's convenient to have it on the arm for that purpose. Harder to access at the belt. If you just used the nano watch for specific purposes like this it'd make sense, but not as a full time watch. It'd be like the 2012 equivalent of a 1980s calculator watch.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 23, 2012, 10:47 AM

I wonder if they're going to go in this direction - Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android by Pebble Technology — Kickstarter now that it's the most funded kickstarter ever. Not that Apple is driven by competitors, but it certainly shows there is a market out there.

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2012, 11:01 AM

that's pretty clever. Leave your iphone in a waterproof container or hard to access pocket, and easy access pebble on your wrist.

How hard would it be to make nano waterproof?

P
Apr 23, 2012, 11:13 AM

The trouble with making something like an iPod or an iPhone waterproof is the ports. You'd probably have to isolate them from the rest of the part.

The downside with one of those watches is that it eats battery on both the watch and the iPhone to keep the bluetooth connection going.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Corrox1378
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2012, 11:51 AM

I just got the watch w/ blue tooth adapter along w/ blue tooth headphones. Some of the bands are relatively cheap rubber (like the one I got that came w/ the bt adapter) but you can pay 20-30 for a better one. It's a great setup since my old arm band is made for my nano 1st gen and the new nano doesn't stay on well and the sleeve it too big. I haven't figured out the time out problem or how to keep it from switching from watch to music/audiobook when it comes back on though. Overall happy with it.

Corrox1378
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2012, 12:08 PM

Just found an partial fix form another forum.

Simplest thing to do is go to:

Settings - General - Date & Time - Time On Wake - ON

It will then show clock when you press the wake up button from sleep mode.

Because of battery life issues it doesn't look like there is a way to keep the screen lit. But this is the fix I was looking for. My problem was every time it went to sleep when I woke it up it would go to my last song played, now it goes to the clock first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules