Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever Been To A Drive-In Theater? What's The Film(s) You Watched?

Ever Been To A Drive-In Theater? What's The Film(s) You Watched?
kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2012, 05:53 PM

I remember going several times but the only films I remember watching were from the FIRST visit and my last visit. Speaking of my first time, I was a youngster and my Aunt took my older siibling and I to see, "Ship of Fools" (I was bored stiff!).

My final drive-in visit was in the late 1980's and I happened to be driving around San Francisco Intl. Airport for some reason which escapes me now, and it was dusk. I saw a military movie was playing on the screen, which was partially visible from the car as I drove by. I had nothing to do for a couple of hours so I bought a ticket and watched, "Bat-21."

I don't expect to go to watch any more films at a drive-in. There aren't many of them around these days. Victims of Blu-Ray and home theaters and real estate prices, I'd guess.

But, once upon a time it was GREAT to be able to watch a movie outdoors, in your car, in the dark, with hundreds of strangers on a balmy summer evening.

When did you go to the drive-in and what do you remember watching?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 07:10 PM

I've been to a drive-in theater just once. Back in the 80's my aunt took a bunch of us to see Ghostbusters. I remember she accidentally hit the car horn when she jumped during the ghost librarian scene.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I've been to a drive-in theater just once.  Back in the 80's my aunt took a bunch of us to see Ghostbusters.  I remember she accidentally hit the car horn when she jumped during the ghost librarian scene.
Good memories!

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 10:05 PM

One Crazy Summer was the only movie I ever saw at a drive-in.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 03:48 AM

Too many movies to list. (45 years worth!) We still have a nine screen drive in here in the Phoenix area. The last movie I saw was X Men United. Most Memorable: Curse of the Fly, Jaws, original Planet of the Apes trilogy, The Exorsist.
45/47

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 11:49 AM

went this summer, saw the new batman and spiderman flicks back to back for $7.50.

http://www.fingerlakesdrivein.com

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
went this summer, saw the new batman and spiderman flicks back to back for $7.50.
http://www.fingerlakesdrivein.com
WAY TO GO!!!!

I applaud that kind of deal finding!

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2012, 03:19 AM

I actually worked at a drive-in back in high-school (the mid-70's). We were the red-headed step-child of the theater chain that owned us, so we were left to pretty-much fend for ourselves as best we could. We showed second-run movies including Star Wars. The night SW opened at the drive-in, we had a pretty good rain storm. Amazingly, even the people who came more for the entertainment inside the car stayed away that night. Not a single car showed up. You should have heard our manager trying to explain to the people in head office how the most popular movie of the past year failed to register even a single ticket sale that night.

We also used to keep a special cash drawer at the ticket booth. The money from every 10th car or so would go into the special drawer. Once the first movie started, the manager would take the money and run down to the nearest package store and buy beer. We'd keep in the cooler until the last show was ended. Then we'd have a few beers while we cleaned up the place. One night, the projectionist found a bunch of old intermission trailers and things in the vault. He spliced them together and ran them after the last car left. We sat out on the patio, drank beer and watched all these cool old dancing hot dogs and stuff. Good times.

As for what I saw at drive-ins...
When I was a kid, my parents took us to the drive-in on a regular basis. Back then, it was great place to go. The drive-in in our area had great playgrounds up by the screen for the kids to wear themselves out so they'd fall asleep and allow mom and dad to relax. The one closest to our home also had a big carousel. Another drive-in had a small kid-sized roller coaster.

As kids, we saw any and all of the Disney films at the drive-in. As we got older, we started seeing more films that our parents were interested in. I distinctly recall seeing Patton and Blazing Saddles at the drive-in with my folks. I can't remember ever seeing my dad laugh so hard as he did watching Blazing Saddles.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I actually worked at a drive-in back in high-school (the mid-70's). We were the red-headed step-child of the theater chain that owned us, so we were left to pretty-much fend for ourselves as best we could. We showed second-run movies including Star Wars. The night SW opened at the drive-in, we had a pretty good rain storm. Amazingly, even the people who came more for the entertainment inside the car stayed away that night. Not a single car showed up. You should have heard our manager trying to explain to the people in head office how the most popular movie of the past year failed to register even a single ticket sale that night.
We also used to keep a special cash drawer at the ticket booth. The money from every 10th car or so would go into the special drawer. Once the first movie started, the manager would take the money and run down to the nearest package store and buy beer. We'd keep in the cooler until the last show was ended. Then we'd have a few beers while we cleaned up the place. One night, the projectionist found a bunch of old intermission trailers and things in the vault. He spiced them together and ran them after the last car left. We sat out on the patio, drank beer and watched all these cool old dancing hot dogs and stuff. Good times.
As for what I saw at drive-ins...
When I was a kid, my parents took us to the drive-in on a regular basis. Back then, it was great place to go. The drive-in in our area had great playgrounds up by the screen for the kids to wear themselves out so they'd fall asleep and allow mom and dad to relax. The one closest to our home also had a big carousel. Another drive-in had a small kid-sized roller coaster.
As kids, we saw any and all of the Disney films at the drive-in. As we got older, we started seeing more films that our parents were interested in. I distinctly recall seeing Patton and Blazing Saddles at the drive-in with my folks. I can't remember ever seeing my dad laugh so hard as he did watching Blazing Saddles.
Your post helped justify this thread's creation. Thank you for some great recollections.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2012, 04:26 PM

I did get to see "Enter the Dragon" There's nothing like seeing Bruce Lee kick ass on a huge screen!

Phoenix metro Drive Ins that RIP

Cinema Park(great pizza), Indian, Peso (Mexican movies) Nu-View, Rodeo, Round-Up, Phoenix, Oasis, Acres, Mustang, Thunderbird, Pioneer, Velda Rose, Northern, Silver Dollar, Valley, Scottsdale 6 (just closed), South Twin, Big Sky.
45/47

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2012, 05:39 PM

I've been a dozen or so times. Long hot nights in Perth in the 70s/80s meant there were plenty of opportunities to visit one of the three local drive-ins. Three memorable nights:

1. A double feature during a meteor shower. It was more like a fireworks display than a movie show.

2. All falling asleep in the car at a midnight screening, and being woken up near dawn, the only car in the lot.

3. A Tuesday night "Any vehicle for $10" screening. We showed up in a Toyota Coaster camper bus. Parked it sideways across four spots, put four speakers through the side windows, and relaxed on the sofa with a mini-fridge full of drinks.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I've been a dozen or so times. Long hot nights in Perth in the 70s/80s meant there were plenty of opportunities to visit one of the three local drive-ins. Three memorable nights:
1. A double feature during a meteor shower. It was more like a fireworks display than a movie show.
2. All falling asleep in the car at a midnight screening, and being woken up near dawn, the only car in the lot.
3. A Tuesday night "Any vehicle for $10" screening. We showed up in a Toyota Coaster camper bus. Parked it sideways across four spots, put four speakers through the side windows, and relaxed on the sofa with a mini-fridge full of drinks.
These sound like scenes from a movie!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 08:58 PM

I saw the original SW trilogy (IV-VI) at a drive-in, all in one night. It was bloody awesome.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2012, 02:32 AM

<Jenna>What's a drive-in? </Jenna>
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I saw the original SW trilogy (IV-VI) at a drive-in, all in one night. It was bloody awesome.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2012, 05:06 AM

Because in the Northern VA area in the 1970's we had LOTS of regular and giant screen movie theatres, the Drive-In wasn't so wonderful.

I DID see Phantasm, Legend of Hell House, and Blazing Saddles at the local "29 Drive-in" back in the early to mid-1970's. I remember using the FM Stereo radio as our sound for the movies, and the irritating announcements the Drive-in would have over the sound of the movies. Chili dogs, 2 for 5 dollars! Large popcorn with butter 7 dollars.

I remember sneaking in with 4 friends in the trunk along with a case of beer for Phantasm.
After it got dark, I opened the trunk. Me & girlfriend and another 2 guys and their dates all sitting in my '59 Ford drinking Miller pony's.

andi*pandi
Aug 27, 2012, 06:24 AM

First movie I saw in a drive in... not sure. Pretty sure I saw Star Trek, Neverending Story at a drive in when I was young... plus other disney things (herbie?) when I was younger. My folks would fold down the back seats so there was a bed, and when the kid movie was over, and the intermission cartoons, I was supposed to go to sleep for the adult feature. That didn't always work. I think I remember waking up during the "mad as hell and not going to take it any more" speech. And something with loud gunfire.

A few years ago we tried doing that with our son, but he wouldn't go to sleep after the kid movie, so he got to watch the Bourne Identity.

Can't wait to take the kids back though! Nowadays the movie theaters don't use those staticky speakers, you tune the radio to a certain frequency.

http://mendondrivein.com/

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2012, 06:37 AM

I saw these in a double feature at the Silver Dollar.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswEyhzioPA[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wysDhlKfqQ[/VIDEO]
45/47

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2012, 08:36 AM

I still go once in a while, on Friday and Saturdays its a triple feature. I like them still because its the one place you can bring the family dog with the family to watch a movie that isnt at home.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Because in the Northern VA area in the 1970's we had LOTS of regular and giant screen movie theatres, the Drive-In wasn't so wonderful.
I DID see Phantasm, Legend of Hell House, and Blazing Saddles at the local "29 Drive-in" back in the early to mid-1970's. I remember using the FM Stereo radio as our sound for the movies, and the irritating announcements the Drive-in would have over the sound of the movies. Chili dogs, 2 for 5 dollars! Large popcorn with butter 7 dollars.
I remember sneaking in with 4 friends in the trunk along with a case of beer for Phantasm.
After it got dark, I opened the trunk. Me & girlfriend and another 2 guys and their dates all sitting in my '59 Ford drinking Miller pony's.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy these stories in this thread. It reminds me of good times and a slice of American life that can't be replicated.

*Thought to self: I wonder if Obama ever went to a Drive-in.*

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
First movie I saw in a drive in... not sure. Pretty sure I saw Star Trek, Neverending Story at a drive in when I was young... plus other disney things (herbie?) when I was younger. My folks would fold down the back seats so there was a bed, and when the kid movie was over, and the intermission cartoons, I was supposed to go to sleep for the adult feature. That didn't always work. I think I remember waking up during the "mad as hell and not going to take it any more" speech. And something with loud gunfire.
A few years ago we tried doing that with our son, but he wouldn't go to sleep after the kid movie, so he got to watch the Bourne Identity.
Can't wait to take the kids back though! Nowadays the movie theaters don't use those staticky speakers, you tune the radio to a certain frequency.
http://mendondrivein.com/
Bless you for giving him a gift he'll always remember. An authentic and unique slice of Americana.

P.S. Even the staticky speakers have an appeal to me!

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I saw these in a double feature at the Silver Dollar.
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswEyhzioPA[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wysDhlKfqQ[/VIDEO]
Hahahahaha!

Scary, fright, horror movies were especially good at the drive in. And the cheesier they were, the better!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Just remembered, we got 4 guys into the drive-ins in the trunk of a '66 Dodge Phoenix. I mean... those trunks were designed for this. There are even drink holders in there. [/joke]

5223/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 02:59 PM

Just remembered, we got 4 guys into the drive-ins in the trunk of a '66 Dodge Phoenix. I mean... those trunks were designed for this. There are even drink holders in there. [/joke]
That's pretty funny. Good looking cars. Dodge Phoenix, huh?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
Hahahahaha!
Scary, fright, horror movies were especially good at the drive in. And the cheesier they were, the better!
I loved the Monkey's paw vignette from Tales
45/47

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I loved the Monkey's paw vignette from Tales

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2012, 03:56 AM

This is what my parents were driving when we were kids and going to the drive in. A kid could sleep on that deck under the rear window.

5238/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sunman42
Aug 28, 2012, 08:00 AM

I'm a geezer. I believe my first movie was "Lady and the Tramp," at a drive-in, in my folks '56 Ford Ranch Wagon. Same car in which I saw "Bridge Over the River Kwai." Don't remember too many drive-ins after that until one memorable summer (c. 1971) in Montana, where I saw M*A*S*H at a driven with two young ladies. Good times.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sunman42 View Post
I'm a geezer. I believe my first movie was "Lady and the Tramp," at a drive-in, in my folks '56 Ford Ranch Wagon. Same car in which I saw "Bridge Over the River Kwai." Don't remember too many drive-ins after that until one memorable summer (c. 1971) in Montana, where I saw M*A*S*H at a driven with two young ladies. Good times.
Isn't it nice to stroll down memory lane like this?

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2012, 08:28 AM

This is what my parents were driving when we were kids and going to the drive in. A kid could sleep on that deck under the rear window.
5238/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
That was a beauty! What kind of car was/is that?

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2012, 10:16 AM

1960 Chevy Bel-Air (or maybe Impala. Can't exactly recall which model it was anymore)
That's the exact color combo we had, too.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

1960 Chevy Bel-Air (or maybe Impala. Can't exactly recall which model it was anymore)
That's the exact color combo we had, too.
IIRC the Impala had a rear trunk and rear fender treatment reminiscent of airplane wings.

Edit: Looking more closely at the pic I can see that wing-like treatment on this car as well. But somehow it seemed more pronounced on the Impala.

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2012, 10:48 AM

The Impala and the BelAir shared the same bodies, including the rear wings. Trim pieces differentiated the models. The easiest way to tell which is which was the Impala had three round tail-lights on each side, where the BelAir only had two per side.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2012, 03:55 PM

5243/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I saw "Despicable Me" two years ago with my dad and sister at some drive-in theater in the middle of nowhere outside of Urbana Illinois.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
5243/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
I saw "Despicable Me" two years ago with my dad and sister at some drive-in theater in the middle of nowhere outside of Urbana Illinois.
Did he drive that far just to see the movie or were you in the neighborhood and on the spur of the moment decided to pop in to the Drive-in?

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 01:29 PM

The Impala and the BelAir shared the same bodies, including the rear wings. Trim pieces differentiated the models. The easiest way to tell which is which was the Impala had three round tail-lights on each side, where the BelAir only had two per side.
Thanks for the tip. Funny, but I doubt I'll ever forget your clue.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2012, 07:30 PM

I know I went to see several movies at the local drive-in before it closed years ago, but the only time I actually remember is my dad taking me to see a double feature. I was about 8 years old and the two movies were "An American Werewolf In London" and John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Needless to say I didn't sleep well for about a week afterward. Didn't help that there was a dog in the neighborhood whose howl sounded a LOT like the werewolf in "An American Werewolf In London" (at least to an 8 year-old).

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
I know I went to see several movies at the local drive-in before it closed years ago, but the only time I actually remember is my dad taking me to see a double feature. I was about 8 years old and the two movies were "An American Werewolf In London" and John Carpenter's "The Thing."
Needless to say I didn't sleep well for about a week afterward. Didn't help that there was a dog in the neighborhood whose howl sounded a LOT like the werewolf in "An American Werewolf In London" (at least to an 8 year-old).
Aw, poor little cybergoober!

Hey, that's a sweet story, man.

Thanks for sharing.

Also, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I've been busy in the Politics room. GOP Convention this week, ya know? Maybe you'll check it out? We could stand another point of view. And I know some people in high places and I think I can get you a free pass to the room.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
Did he drive that far just to see the movie or were you in the neighborhood and on the spur of the moment decided to pop in to the Drive-in?
My sister was in grad school at the time at U of I so she knew about the place and we decided it would be a cool experience. Which it was.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
My sister was in grad school at the time at U of I so she knew about the place and we decided it would be a cool experience. Which it was.

Forum Links
Forum Rules