Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Too many kernel panics?

Too many kernel panics?
jakeHM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2001, 10:50 AM

I am getting OS X 2E14 kernel panics too often, I am sure.

On my G4 500 DP 256Mb, I get panics at least twice a week.

Now I know that this is beta and all the caveats that go with it, but I thought that most people were getting very good stability.

I also notice that the HD often has corruptions, so whenever I reboot, I start up in single user (or whatever holding 's' is) do fsck -y - and it always finds (and fixes) problems.

Is this common? Should I be looking at possible hardware issues.

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2001, 03:07 PM

I have a G4 DP 512MB and have yet to recieve a panic - ever. Ive been using OS X exclusively for the past 3 months. I don't remember the last time I rebooted actually. Sounds like something else is not happy in the system.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2001, 08:09 PM

You have to disable Extensions and then figure out what is in conflict.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

griffman
Senior User
Feb 12, 2001, 10:27 PM

jakeHM:

Is any of your RAM third party? If so, try booting with the stock Apple RAM, and see if the problem goes away. Other reports in these forums have found that OS X PB seems quite susceptible to 'marginal' RAM - do a search on "RAM" or "memory" for more info.

In three months of solid PB use, I've had zero kernel panics on this G4/350.

-rob.

------------------
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

dscottbuch
Feb 13, 2001, 03:38 PM

I posted the following a couple of months ago. Are you copying large files?

----------------
I've now repeatable created a kernal panic when copying either large files or a large number of files to an appletalk mounted system.

Specifics

Source System
- Firewire powerbook 500 Mhz
- OSX and OS 9 on same 6 GB partition
- 100 MBit connections

Target System
- Imac DV (400 MHz) running OS 9.0.4
- 10 GB drive
- 100 MB ethernet connection

No one is using the i-mac

It failed when copying a 500 MB file and also when copying a larger number (>4000) smaller files totaling about 700 MB.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

--------

jakeHM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2001, 04:43 PM

No, I seem to get it most when logging out - even if I close every open application before hand - Not that I can see why that should make much difference.

The machine is quite new, and has all Apple fitted parts.

It is becoming very frustrating, especially as I know that it SHOULD be rock solid. I'll try not to loose too much sleep over it until the 24th - after that....

Haha
Mar 2, 2001, 03:23 PM

I just wanted to say, that Scott_H (the moderator) is a DICK!
I wanted to post that to another thread after his "any one with a legit copy doesnt need to burn it" comment but he closed the thread after putting in his 2 cents he couldnt afford to spend anyway.
Its a ****ing beta you idiot, who the hell needs or wants a legit copy. **** that , Apple will get my $129 when the final is released , because they deserve it, but **** paying to be a guinea pig. I have no problems with any of the builds i have downloaded on my t3 from carracho.
So you college dick, ( I say that cause only a white college yuppie would say suh a thing) shove your "legit" copy up your ass!
HAHA

Cipher13
Mar 2, 2001, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Haha:
I just wanted to say, that Scott_H (the moderator) is a DICK!
I wanted to post that to another thread after his "any one with a legit copy doesnt need to burn it" comment but he closed the thread after putting in his 2 cents he couldnt afford to spend anyway.
Its a ****ing beta you idiot, who the hell needs or wants a legit copy. **** that , Apple will get my $129 when the final is released , because they deserve it, but **** paying to be a guinea pig. I have no problems with any of the builds i have downloaded on my t3 from carracho.
So you college dick, ( I say that cause only a white college yuppie would say suh a thing) shove your "legit" copy up your ass!
HAHA
You, sir, have a problem. I get the feeling from your use of language its a form of jealousy of your older brothers fully formed oedipoedal complex. You want to be like that, but just can't do it right.

Yeah I was a little annoyed about Scott closing that thread but did I resort to this? No.
If you have a prolem paying to beta test, there is a VERY simple solution - don't do it.
Get me?
Don't get it. Did Apple force you to pay for the beta? No. And they're offering rebates anyway.

Whoa there - first he can't afford to spend 2 cents, then he's a yuppy?

Ah. You just had to be racist didn't you? That is the lowest thing you could have said. I hope you are banned, and your post and mine are deleted.
You are scum. I hate racists.

Why don't you just go on your merry way and download Windows XP on your T3?
Go on. Away. Shoe! Go! Get outta here! Don't make me get the hose...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules