Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How many of you have lost network connectivity w/ 10.1.5

How many of you have lost network connectivity w/ 10.1.5
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2002, 12:48 PM

It seems that 10.1.5 has frustrated many a Mac user by losing the network after sleep.

Apple has posted a fix but many report that it hasn't worked.

So how widespread is this problem?

<small>[ 06-19-2002, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Moderator ]</small>
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2002, 12:29 PM

TiG4 667 and Beige G3 minitower, neither had any problems.

foamy
Senior User
Jun 20, 2002, 01:45 PM

I don't lose network after sleep on my TiBook500, but I do lose network when moving my computer from work to home. With 10.1.4, I just plugged it in to the ethernet cable at work or to the cable modem and it would immediately pick up a new IP address.

After 10.1.5, I have to open up the network prefs, then switch profiles, apply, then switch again and apply the settings to finally get an IP. It is extremely ****ing annoying....but not as bad as having to restart.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2002, 02:02 PM

Maybe a better question or one that should be added to this poll is how many are using DHCP and what their lease duration is. I use DHCP here at work and the lease time is set to 72 hours. Also, what ISP are they people using, as each one will have different durations. Maybe I never have seen the problem because of the long durations and/or I use static IPs behind a router/switch and the router has no problem renewing its lease with the ISP.

dscottbuch
Jun 20, 2002, 02:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by SMacTech:
<strong>Maybe a better question or one that should be added to this poll is how many are using DHCP and what their lease duration is. I use DHCP here at work and the lease time is set to 72 hours. Also, what ISP are they people using, as each one will have different durations. Maybe I never have seen the problem because of the long durations and/or I use static IPs behind a router/switch and the router has no problem renewing its lease with the ISP.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I, and I believe at least several others, have reported that this bug is not restricted to DHCP. I have a fixed IP on a local LAN and still have the problem. The quick workaround posted elsewhere, where you create two locations in the network control pane, one with, and one without enet turned on, works fine for me. I also read in the other thread on this that a 'network fix' from apple is expected in the next couple of days. I don't know where this informaiton come from.

Fillman
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2002, 06:11 PM

I have the problem moving my G3 Pismo PowerBook between an AppleTalk and PPP connection at home and a DCHP connection in the office. The only way to connect at work is by artificially changing the connection in Network prefs to bring up the apply now button.

On hooking to network after sleep wakeup, system log always reports

DHCP en0: INIT-REBOT transmit failed

I also note that system console reports

WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed

at the same time.

I don't have any wireless features installed or enabled.
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2002, 06:18 PM

Have not had this problem, but for the first time it didn't want to wake up from deep sleep (which somehow got activated). Shouldn't have that problem any more.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2002, 07:07 PM

10.1.5 on a G4 450 via Ethernet and iBook 700(latest) via Airport, both no problems at all.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

esc
Jun 20, 2002, 08:38 PM

No problem ... I have dhcp from an xrouter 130 feeding a 1 GHz dual G4, Cube and Airport. The airport supports a rev B 667 Ti and a Pismo. All of the Macs are running 10.1.5 since the day it was released with no ill effects.

For completeness I mention that the xrouter connects to a dsl modem that is getting a dhcp dsl feed.

kumar303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2002, 07:19 PM

periodically --for no apparent reason-- several applications lose connection to the internet on my Beige G3 (OS 10.1.5). It is very strange -- it doesn't happen after sleep, I disabled energy saver a long time ago. And... I'm using OS X as a router to share my DSL (static IP, no DHCP) and when the apps lose internet the DSL is still available on my network! What's even more strange is I can still access the apache web server from the net so apache hasn't lost internet connection. The only apps I've seen lose the internet are Internet Explorer and iTunes. I've tried restarting the apps, no luck. The only thing that works is if I unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in or restart. This was happening in 10.1 as well as 10.1.5 now. strange. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I'm still trying to figure out which application controls the built in ethernet... if I have to write a script I will.

havannas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2002, 08:12 PM

I have this issue.

I'm on a dual-800 Quicksilver.
My connection is DHCP with COX New England.
I have no idea how long my 'lease duration' is.
Lose my connection every time I put it to sleep.
Very annoying. Whats the link to that fix?

Forum Links
Forum Rules