Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Epson 740 doesn't work under Jag

Epson 740 doesn't work under Jag
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 01:22 PM

Print center recognizes the printer, but it doesn't print. Says there is a communication error with the printer. Anyone else have this problem?

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 01:52 PM

Did you try deleting the printer and then adding it again?

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by jules:
Did you try deleting the printer and then adding it again?
Yes.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 02:28 PM

My 740 works here in 10.2.

What kind of USB cable do you have? I had a problem printing before because my USB cable was a epson parallel to usb cord and 10.2 didn't like the parallel part. Stupid cable costs 30 bucks too.

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 28, 2002, 02:30 PM

I've had the same problem on an iBook 300 running Jag, but I can print. Here are some possibilities after enough troubleshooting:

� You slept your iBook while the printer was still on
� You turned on your printer before starting up the computer

Try holding a job and resuming it. Sometimes that fixes the problem. Or simply try turning off the printer and turning it back on in 30 sec.

Quinn
Aug 28, 2002, 06:29 PM

Well, let me say, that the 740 does work under 10.2 and now has full support. You can clean the print heads, check the ink etc.

As for your problem, I too have had this. Its not all the time though, and stopping and starting the print queue worked for me.

I eventually got fed up of this and re-installed the Epson Printer drivers from the 2nd 10.2 cd.

So far, so good...

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Quinn:
Well, let me say, that the 740 does work under 10.2 and now has full support. You can clean the print heads, check the ink etc.

As for your problem, I too have had this. Its not all the time though, and stopping and starting the print queue worked for me.

I eventually got fed up of this and re-installed the Epson Printer drivers from the 2nd 10.2 cd.

So far, so good...
Well, I got it working reliably now. Seems it doesn't like being routed through a 7 port USB hub. I tried a lot of configurations. It liked being hooked directly to the iMac best, but I got it to work pretty well with only a minor hiccup by hooking it to the keyboard.

USB sucks the big one. All this port swapping is getting on my nerves. My Keyspan USB-PDA adapter won't work unless it is connected directly to the computer. Maybe I've achieved a happy balance between my peripherals.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 04:07 AM

FYI: I'm printing to my 740 without a problem ... have an Axis print server connected. Works beautifully with 10.2

CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Quinn:
I was able to do all that in 10.1.0. The printer utility was in some obscure system folder, though.

Are all those features somehow more integrated right into the print dialog in 10.2?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by ryarber:
Print center recognizes the printer, but it doesn't print. Says there is a communication error with the printer. Anyone else have this problem?
I own an Epson 740 also, and it works.
You could try re-setting the permissions. It seems to work for many people.
Go to Disk Utility and re-set the permissions.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

dscottbuch
Sep 4, 2002, 04:22 PM

I've had this problem on two different machines, and iMac and Pizmo. And with three differenct Epson printers 820, 850NE, and 740. In all cases the printer was NOT connected through a hub.

In all cases the problem was resolved by reinstalling the printer drivers. And in all cases the original drivers were from and 'acquired' 6c115 install disk.

For the 820 and 850 the problem was from the iMac SE DV. I downloaded the drivers from epson (these were the 10.1 I guess) and installed. All cured.

For the 740 the problem was solved by physically removing the EPSON folder from the /Library/Printers folder and reinstalling from the Jag disks that came with the dual 867 I bought.

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules