Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Recommendations for an iPhone 3G signal amplifier or antenna??

Recommendations for an iPhone 3G signal amplifier or antenna??
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 10:08 PM

My new iPhone 3G happens to be getting 1/2 of a bar worth of cellular signal (on the 3G network) in the same place my old iPhone got a full signal when it was using the Edge network?? I've confirmed that this is due to an apparent lack of 3G coverage in the particular location I am trying to use the cell phone by simply switching off the 3G option on my new iPhone, at which point I get full bars and a much clearer reception...

I would hate to have to manually switch back and forth between Edge and 3G on a regular basis in order to use my phone, so until some App developer releases a program that would allow me to have some sort of an automatic switch from Edge to 3G based on my location, I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend a compatible 3G signal amplifier/antenna that would boost my 3G network coverage?

Does anyone know of such a device that would work with the iPhone 3G (specifically to increase/enhance its 3G network connection range/visibility)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:11 PM

Only a cell tower upgrade will help. You could get one of the cell phone antenna boosters for $19.95 if you want to waste your time and money.

Cold Warrior
Jul 17, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Only a cell tower upgrade will help. .
Not necessarily. Some type of repeater with a high-gain yagi could do wonders for his signal.

Something like this, which appears to have a screw-in antenna. Screw-in means screw-out which means user-swappable.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exten...6347467&sr=8-1

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Not necessarily. Some type of repeater with a high-gain yagi could do wonders for his signal.

Something like this, which appears to have a screw-in antenna. Screw-in means screw-out which means user-swappable.

Well yeah but not very convenient when you're walking about outside is it?

Cold Warrior
Jul 17, 2008, 10:33 PM

He could always get one for his car, but this time hook in a high-gain omni.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2008, 07:59 AM

Why not use VoIP on wifi when you're at home?

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

Thanks for the tip! I did a bit more digging around and it turns out there are plenty of amplifiers/antennas that would fit the bill and provide me with better cellular signal at the particular location I am having problems at (which happens to be my home office - which is obviously not only where I work, but also where I live...now maybe it makes more sense why consider it critical to get better reception in this location)

Here are some other relevant links I've come across:

http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...-repeater.html
http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...esktop-dt.html
http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...lson/soho.html
http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...dual-band.html
http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...son/index.html

Hopes this thread helps others searching for a similar solution...I'll update everyone once I've chosen an antenna/amplifier to let you know how it turned out...

Thanks!

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2008, 12:23 AM

Does anyone know if this particular Dual-Band Repeater would effectively improve my 3G signal on my iPhone for voice communications (don't care about edge; specifically need to know about the 3G signal improvement, or lack there of...)

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2008, 07:34 AM

It mentions it improves UMTS, so if it works as it should, then it'll improve GSM 3G. UMTS = 3G GSM.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 10:45 AM

I did a bit more digging around and it turns out there are plenty of amplifiers/antennas that would fit the bill and provide me with better cellular signal
AT&T's early termination fees are a lot less than those darn repeaters. It'd kill me to not have my iPhone anymore, but hell... I'd love me some of that 5 bars everywhere that my coworkers on Verizon enjoy. Considering that we already paid ETFs on Sprint last year to get our iPhones, my wife would never go for it.

Sucks that such a breakthrough device is utterly crippled by AT&T's cromulent network.

Home: 0 to 1 bars, not even Edge data
Work: 1 to 2 bars, bounces between Edge and 3G

I'm in the burbs, but not the sticks.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why not use VoIP on wifi when you're at home?
You can do that? With what app would I use?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
You can do that? With what app would I use?
I don't think he was talking about doing it via the iPhone (though even that is theoretically possible using one of the App Store's apps called TruPhone)....I think what was mean was why don't you just use VOIP in general as an alternative (and in case you don't know what VOIP is, its a phone service that uses your home networks high-speed internet connection to send/receive phone calls)...hence, the suggestions to "use VoIP on wifi when you're at home"...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
I don't think he was talking about doing it via the iPhone (though even that is theoretically possible using one of the App Store's apps called TruPhone)....I think what was mean was why don't you just use VOIP in general as an alternative (and in case you don't know what VOIP is, its a phone service that uses your home networks high-speed internet connection to send/receive phone calls)...hence, the suggestions to "use VoIP on wifi when you're at home"...
Oh i see, i know what VoIP is, i just didn't know that was possible on the iPhone.
I looked into it and found out that another app coming out soon called iCall which will have free VoIP calls.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2008, 07:52 AM

Did you click the link I provided in my last post to view the TruPhone Application, which does offer VOIP, and is currently available on the App Store?
( Last edited by m021478; Jul 30, 2008 at 04:28 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules